1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for a potential answer to a problem.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ironwolf, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have a pedal board that currently contains 9 pedals not counting the tuner. I use them in a wet/dry set up that feeds the drive pedals only to a Twin Reverb and the drives and modulations to a JTM45.

I am looking for an affordable loop switcher solution for this setup. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

One Control makes a 2 loop switcher for under 70 bucks. That's not too bad. The big online stores carry it.

3. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Obsessed and dlew919 like this.
  4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I went down this road and you need something with polarity switching and the ability to isolate the signals. Ground loops and phase issues are the two big ones to look out for.

I went with an active AB/Y switch (Twin City). I hated spending over $100 on a no-fun pedal, but I've encountered both those problems at various times. That Pedal Show has done a whole segment on wet-dry.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Tim S likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

northernguitar likes this.
  6. Ironwolf

I already have it working with isolation and polarity switch. No issues there. I'm looking for a switcher or switchers that has individual isolation loops for each pedal while keeping the two signal chains going to the correct amp. I want to keep unused pedals out of the signal path. A Gig Rig would do this, but the price is way more than I want to spend.

7. BorderRadio

Well do you want ability to program patches? If not you could get a 12-loop looper. Put each effect in a loop and then use the two last loops as send-only, sending each to an amp. Again, Loop-Master could hook you up with something more dedicated on the amp AB side. You’d still need to hit a bunch of switches to go from something like clean/dry Twin ——> Drive/Twin——>mod/JTM.

05766A38-2233-488E-830E-F204BA53063D.png

If you want programmability, then you’re gonna end up spending nearly as much as a Gig Rig. One Control has a few options. The Boss ES-8 could help you out too, but it’s only 8 loops.

8. JuneauMike

Just a simple bypass looper. Loop-master, American Loopers, Road Rage, Saturnworks, Joyo. Tons out there. Maybe one for each amp if you're feeling crazy.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

The switchblade of pedals, but frankly, I have never used it into two different amps, but perhaps @W.L.Weller has. I have used mine for all sorts of set-ups though.
    IMG_4264.JPG

10. JuneauMike

That would mix what is essentially two separate pedal boards. Once you let an effect, OD as an example, into the loop it will exit both outputs and go to both amps.

11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Saw this pic the other day thought it would make a great small W/D or W/D\W rig. The MS-3 your mods delays and verb and has a 3channel looper and midi, just add dirt. It’s tiny.
    99EE46E9-BB34-42DC-87C1-60C75CC24A26.jpeg

12. BorderRadio

This is half right, yes. Or at least I think, I haven't tried it. Yes, its going to combine all effects in one looper switch bank, but they don't have to be combined to the 'wrong' amp. That was one of the requirements: each effect in it's own loop. However, even with only a 'send' and no 'return' for the last two amp loops, it should be a matter of turning off Amp A by bypassing Loop 11 and turning on Amp B by turning on Loop 12. I realize that's suboptimal but that's why I say a builder can assemble an A/B switch in a 10-Loop bank for the same price.

13. Ironwolf

I am thinking what may be the solution will be a pair of the JOYO PXL-Lives with my AB switch between them. I would like having a little patch programability but do not need a lot, as the pedal combos I use are relatively limited.

14. JuneauMike

Sounds like dance lessons are in your future

15. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Another vote for Loop-Master. I use a 7-channel looper in front for easy stomping while singing. I also have the mini-looper for my fx loop pedals. Incredibly solid builds, and great prices.

JuneauMike likes this.
  16. JuneauMike

No, I don't think so. This one begs for a sketch, but I can't do that now. With wet/dry there's 2 flavors of output, OA and OB. But passive loopers are like a one-way interstate. The loop channels are on-ramps. Once two loop channels are dumped into the traffic flow they go to all the outputs of the interstate. Open the gate for delays and another gate for OD, your signal is now OD and delay and it has no choice but to go to both amps. The output has no way of interpreting the signal so that OD leaves out the dry output, and delays leave out the wet output. All the outputs would be the sum of all the active loops. You can decide that all your signal is going to Amp A or Amp B via the outs of two unused channels, but that's not wet/dry anymore.

I think a builder would have to essentially construct two seperate loopers inside a single chassis to make wet/dry work. Not sure how the grounding would work, but otherwise its probably doable for a price. Probably not the most practical solution though. In the end, software would probably be cheaper and more adaptable.

17. BorderRadio

I guess that's what I'm forgetting: wet/dry is running both independent effects loops/amp configurations at the same time. Now why would anyone want to do that ?? :D I was describing a situation where each effect could be engaged dependent on the amp selected for output. That's not going to work.

Two independent looper paths would cover that, but I agree, not practical if simplicity is the goal. I'm not even sure what compares to Gig Rigs ability to control two independent audio paths, as most other higher end switchers are MIDI-fied and control amp channel switching, not so much A/B/Y functions.

JuneauMike likes this.
  18. JuneauMike

Wet/dry is amazing in person (and yes, it is NOT stereo. That's something different).

But unfortunately, it easily spirals into fiddly complicated and expensive territory. Example: Here's me recommending two separate passive bypass loop pedals to pull it off. Someone should hit me in the head with a hammer. ...

GigRig does all kinds of cool and useful things (swap pedal order on the fly, etc) but its crazy expensive and if you don't dedicate hours to actually read the manuals and learn the functions you just become Grandpa trying to set the timer on the VCR. No thanks.

BorderRadio and northernguitar like this.
  19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

It seems to me you could do that with two Loop Masters tied together? One for each amp

20. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

What is the problem you're trying to solve? Are you noticing signal loss? The true bypass solution was popular ten years ago, but I think most people have found that using good cables and pedals and a buffer early in the signal chain solves signal loss better without buying another complicated gadget and 10 extra patch cords between the pedals and bypass looper.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.