1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for a pedal to add "thickness"

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Fuzzblaster, Jul 1, 2012.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

A wiggle box with the rate at it's lowest setting adds thickness. Adjust depth to taste.

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Get a delay and set it for about a 23 ms delay... Works for me.

3. Jagg76

Jagg76 Tele-Holic

+1 on the RC Booster. I don't own one but I've tried one and I was hooked! :eek:

4. B.G.L.

B.G.L. Tele-Meister

Keeping with the theme of easy on the wallet, there's always the Bad Monkey. Subtle dirt with nice tonal options. I love my TS9 with the pushed mids, but the BM does the slight boost thing really well. The two-knob EQ makes it quite versatile. You can mimic the EQ curve of your amp, but just dial in some oomph from the BM. Or add a little hair to your tone. Pretty cool and dirt-cheap new, like $39.95.

5. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I use a Zendrive 2 or a Fuchs Plush to do just that. They are worth the price in my book. I haven't used a boost per se, but I am getting more and more interested in trying one, although it might be unnecessary if I always leave the OD on.

6. Larry F

Yeah, and a delay. I always have one of those on, too. Just so it is not noticeable as a delay.

7. Larry F

Yeah, and a Bad Monkey. Why am I parroting what others are saying? But it is true, the Bad Monkey does an incredible job for the price. OK, I'll stop.

8. EasyEB

EasyEB Tele-Meister

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the Catalinbread SFT.

9. Pants

Pants Tele-Meister

As a fellow AC30 user, I have to say... I'd stay away from the EP Booster for fat sounds. With my Vox, it makes everything sound a lot sharper- it has a ton of upper-mid "kerrang" to it, which is cool, but probably not what you're looking for.

Instead, I STRONGLY recommend a Red Llama. I think you'll love it- you can keep the gain down and pump up the level to really goose your amp's front end. You'll find some excellent grainy sounds in there with a really full, resonant bass character. As far as ODs go for a Vox, I think the Llama is one of the best. Match made in heaven, and we all know how temperamental that amp is when it comes to drive pedals...

10. Fuzzblaster

Fuzzblaster Tele-Meister

What I am looking for is a pedal to take my already slightly overdriven signal, and add a bit more gain, beef it up a little so it sounds a bit more present and less "thin" so to speak. Trying to make some gravy with my Vox, thicken er up! Fatter/chunkier rhythm and slightly more sustained, present, and well-rounded single-notes. This would be for mainly live stuff to go from a chimey/sparkly overdriven sound to a slightly more round/fat overdriven sound with a bit more gain. I know trying to get my idea across using jargon isn't the best idea, but its all I got!

11. fuzzbox

fuzzbox Tele-Meister

My RC Booster does precisely what you describe. Quality build and very reliable. One of my "must have" pedals.

12. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

EP Booster. As I just posted in another thread, the RC excels at transparent clean boosting and the EP is the best thing I've found for fattening up single coils and adding natural sounding warmth. It's based on the Echoplex preamp and very warm and natural. I use both on my board but for your purpose I find the EP to be much better and what that pedal does best.

13. Fuzzblaster

Fuzzblaster Tele-Meister

So it seems that the boosters are getting the most love on this thread, the Xotic lineup in particular. Which do you think would work best with my AC30, for the tone I described above?:

EP Booster
    AC Booster
    RC Booster
    Fulltone Fat Boost
    BBE Boosta Grande

or something else...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep em coming! :D

14. Pants

Pants Tele-Meister

Again, speaking from my experience with my gear, I don't think the EP booster is quite the ticket for thickening up a Vox on the edge of breakup. Too much kerrang; not enough thump. Lots of people here dig it, and it really is a cool pedal, but as you and every other AC30 owner know, that amp is picky as heck when it comes to drive pedals, and not every shade of drive that works for the Fender amp-playing majority here is going to cut it with an AC30.

I'm not familiar with the other Xotic pedals, but I did hear that the AC Booster is patterned after the breakup on an AC30. I still say Red Llama.

15. Fuzzblaster

Fuzzblaster Tele-Meister

The only thing I'm afraid of with the Llama is that I already run my amp with a good amount of overdrive (not on the verge of breakup, it is breaking-up), and I think the Llama may cascade it to be a bit too "gainy" (just looking up some videos on the tube), not sure if my suspicions are true at all, do you have any audio clips or anything like that?

16. Fuzzblaster

Fuzzblaster Tele-Meister

+ The gain structure of the pedal sounds really fizzy to me, fizzier then my Boss BD-2 that I am currently running...

17. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Tele-Holic

Interesting thread. I play into a solid state amp often, and use a Tech21 Blonde to accomplish the same thing. I set it for a very clean sound/character, and run the output above unity gain. Adjust the highs to suit the room, bingo, thicker tone. It has a bit of natural compression and responds very naturally to the volume knob.

18. Fuzzblaster

Fuzzblaster Tele-Meister

I found my answer in the TC Electronics "Spark Booster" just the right options, and sounded right in the videos I found as well! Putting in my order in the morning.

[​IMG]

19. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Thank you! I think I'm crazy sometimes for really liking this pedal... I mean, all things point to "no" right?... cheesey look, name, price tag, yet, I can't stay away from it, it really sounds great!

20. Pants

Pants Tele-Meister

Solid choice! Yeah if "fizz" isn't a desirable characteristic the Llama definitely might not be the right pedal... it's not as fizzy in real life through a slightly driven Vox as it is on Youtube through all those Fenders, but it's still there. Sounds like the Spark Booster would work a lot better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.