1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for a new acoustic Taylor 310 or Martin OO-15

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Tele-Monster, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

I'm selling my current Martin OOO to my bass player and am in the market for a new acoustic. I've got it narrowed down to two guitars (see title), the Taylor comes with a K&K Pure in it, the Martin has no pickup (I would install a Pure if I got this).

I'm really drawn to the Martin, I've never owned a HOG Martin before and it looks so sweet. I play a lot of different stuff when I do acoustic gigs so I kind of like the OO body. Opinions? Concerns?

I've played many Taylors but never the 310, can any owners sing it's praises? I like dreads (some day I'll grab a D-18v), I grew up playing bluegrass so I'm kind of drawn to them.

Someone help:mad:,
    Neil

2. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I have a Taylor 310 and a Martin 000-28. The Taylor is a great guitar. But, I love the Martin more. The Taylor neck will take some getting used to for you. It is has a thinner profile and a 1.75" nut. I much prefer the Martin neck, although the wider nut makes the Taylor easier to fingerpick. The Taylor is plenty loud and has a brighter more trebly sound.

3. Tele-Monster

I'm mostly going to be playing lead on it. I kinda like smaller body guitars.

4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Those are two entirely different machines, and depends what you plan to use it for. The 310 will obviously be louder and will respond better to a heavier touch, and will have a brighter sound. It's also medium gauge strings. The 0015 is a great sounding guitar, but if you dig in with a pick, or fingerpicks it does NOT respond well to being overdriven, but for a soft, bluesy type lead sound they are great. Really apples/oranges with these two models - entirely different instruments.

5. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

I have a 310 and it is a great all-around guitar. I wouldn't say it stands above anything else on any one thing though. It *does* allow itself to be played hard. But the OP describes a preference for the OO body, so I would think the that OO-15 would be a better match.

BTW, you mentioned wanting a D-18. I have one ('72) and this is the guitar I will never get rid of. Hello bluegrass!

6. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I owned a 310 CE & still am 'around it' because I sold it to a friend. Nice guitar for the $$.

But if you are loving the 00 size & mainly using it in stage, get an 00. You'll have what you like & when reinforcing the sound, body size means relatively little: a small guitar can sound huge thru a PA etc.

7. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I'll offer an alternative variation/suggestion: Martin 000-15SM 12 fret

I bought one of these a few months ago and absolutely love it. Has that unmistakable Martin all mahoghany tone, is great for softer and more intricate fingerpicking, but also a pretty good strummer with a nice full sound but better note clarity than most dreads IMO. Still a smaller bodied guitar that's very comfortable to play but the 12 fret configuration and elongated body seem to provide more bass than a standard 000 body. Love the unique classic style too :) !

8. zooropamofo

zooropamofo Tele-Afflicted

The 310 will be an all rounder dreadnought. The sapele/spruce combo will yield a basic DN sound ala Taylor, maybe a little thinner and brighter than you are used to, but it will be a great, playable, serviceable instrument all around. I have a Taylor 510ceL9 and I love it. Second only to my J45.

The Martin is a different animal entirely, the full hog construction will yield a darker, earthier more low-fi tone. It will do that earthier blues thing well, but you may not find it quite as versatile as the Taylor.

Another thing to consider would be watching for a good used Martin D18 or Taylor 510 on Craiglist etc. Not a huge jump in terms of pricepoint.

Good luck.

9. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Get the Martin.

10. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I probably would have kept the 000 over either of those 2.

I can't figure out what you really want in an acoustic, but if you want something primarily for gigging, and you're plugging in, then I'd look elsewhere than either of those two, honestly. Taylor, Martin, Breedlove, Takamine, Yamaha, etc. The list goes on. Smaller (than Ds) acoustics (e.g., grand auditorium) with cutaways and built-in electronics are everywhere, and make much better plug and play instruments these days. (If you decide you want to play Bluegrass, get that Martin D-18 and be done with it - buy the neck that feels right, not some pre-ordained model.)

11. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

The Martin 00-15 is a wonderful guitar. You won't regret it. Trust me on this one. :)

12. Tele-Monster

I picked up the 00-15, it is a wonderful guitar. I doubt I will regret my decision.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.