Looking for a mail order source for reclaimed pine

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by SixShooter, Jun 4, 2012.

1. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

I'm wanting to make a body from some older pine but after doing some internet searches I haven't been able to find a source where I can buy a board that I could use for a body (2 or 3 pc. is ok). I'm not looking for a high end perfect piece, just something decent and affordable. I would really prefer to find a seller who posts pictures of the actual board. It seems like most of the seller out there are dealing in high volume.

2. volowv

volowv Tele-Meister

anyone that has reclaimed wood usually has a ton of it because they've demo'ed a building and they probably don't want the hassle of selling it piecemeal. if they've gone through the hassle of posting a picture of the piece of wood they are selling they are going to overcharge you. so realistically speaking, the type of wood you are describing is not sold over the internet in 20" sections. look around locally. craigslist, materials section. maybe put up a WTB post on craigslist? sometimes carpenters rip out small sections of a house and have stuff like this laying around.

have you checked with local hardwood dealers? if you find the right place they will special order a single board for you. search for hardwood dealers on google maps. seems like you have some big yards in cincinnati. ideally you'd be looking for a smaller yard that would value your business, but if the big yards can't help you they might point you to someone who will.

---
    crazy idea.... have you checked at reStore? habitat for humanity's reclaimed building materials stores. looks like there are two in cincinnati.

3. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the ideas. I too thought of the Habitat Restore as well or possibly some other architectural salvage company. I was thinking I might find a door or something made of pine or douglas fir.

Your right about no one posting photos of small quantities. I am probably better off finding something local.

4. alscort93

alscort93 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info, I see we have one in Joplin, I may have to check them out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.