Looking for a GREAT sounding practice AMP

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by WilburBufferson, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk Tele-Meister

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the VHT Special 6. It's a great-sounding small tube amp that is hand-wired and thus easy to work on.
    [​IMG]

The Angry Possum and goodguy like this.
  2. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

Cornell Romany Plus 1x12.....Class A single ended (6L6) Reverb combo....10/2/0.5/0.05 watt....Volume/Bass/Treble/Reverb for Blackface tones and an EQ cut for tweed Champ
    tones....can go from beautiful jazz or country cleans all the way to Chicago blues and
    old school rock and roll overdrive at home volumes.....handwired by a master builder
    and all in a class amp and really quite handsome in classic tweed....can't remember the
    details but there was a dealer in Canada.

3. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

..."Ideally, the new amp would look a little bit more like furniture and less amp-like, to keep the missus happy!"...

http://www.vintage47amps.com/Oahu-Suitcase/

i picked that'n strictly due to the low wattage rating and looks.

have an old valco clone Winfield Thomas built for me that is 6 volt pre-tubes into PP 6V6, these can also make sweet cleans at very low volumes. so don't rule out these 12 watt circuits there if ~your~ eye candy award goes to another amp.

[or contact Winnie for his 6V6 valco 510-1C/gretsch 6156 amp build and put the chassis in actual furniture that suits your needs even more]

unfortunately, vintage 47's coolest looking offering is no longer available-- the "El Capitan".

those things looked more art deco than miami's colony hotel at night!!!

http://architizer.com/blog/great-gatsby-architecture-15-rip-roaring-examples-of-art-deco/

mitchfit

PS---reverb would have to be from a pedal.

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

There were reported issues with some of their power supplies when they came out, since resolved as far as I know. Only in high gain modes is there any hiss and then it's not bad. Since you said you want clean with reverb not a issue.

Set it up on table at arms height or bit higher, give it some room so stereo effects can spread out a bit and reverb etc are very, very nice, extremely nice. Basically it's like recording your track, taking it in studio, mixing/eq'ing it for stereo playback and pumping it out through nice little quality boombox. Works great as just a little table MP3 player too, no earth shaking hip hop thump to it but it handles the guitar and vocal ranges very well. Even hook it up to a laptop via USB, it's a USB speaker system.

5. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

SOME UPDATES:

Gave the VOX AC15/AC10 amps a whirl. Of the two, I liked the AC10 more -- much easier to dial in a good sound at lower volumes. True to the advice here (and the internet more generally) the VOX amps sounded WAY better turned up, so this eliminated them as an option.

Given the relatively high price of the THRs here in Canada (about over $350 tax in), my mind turned to getting a 'tweener amp" -- between the VVRI and PRRI. But, it would have to be light and fairly loud to take out of the house.

Enter the Vibro Champ X2 in head or combo version: light, good clean tone, pretty loud, good reverb. Anyone have experience with the combo (with 10" speaker) versus the head + cab (12" speaker) combo?

6. peavey30

peavey30 Tele-Meister

A second hand Vox Pathfinder 15R. A really good practise amp, it sounds like tube amp. The Pathfinder sounds more 'tube' on bedroom volumes than a Vox AC15C1. :lol:

7. WilburBufferson

So I've heard! Actually I've read that these are real sleeper amps for session players in the studio. People swap out the smaller speaker and, VOILA: convincing Vox tube tone.

Check this out at 4 minutes:

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've been watching youtube videos of Alamo amps.

Only the old ones look like furniture, but they all seem to put most Fender amps to shame soundwise, except for maybe the loud Fenders.

9. Grandma's Tele

Grandma's Tele Tele-Meister

The Laney Cub 10 works well with an Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Nano. It gets as expensive as a bigger amp when you have to add different pedals. But it sounds good! Then it still doesn't sound as good as a Deluxe Reverb at its sweet spot (volume speaking) !

10. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

THR-5 or 10.

11. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

I second Carr...I have a Raleigh I love! Perfect for home...but no reverb.

12. WilburBufferson

Well, finally found a Yamaha THR10C at a store to try out. I tried all the amp settings and played the knobs every which way. I liked it, but I have to say that I didn't LOVE it. Others commented on the great tone I was getting, but I was a quite underwhelmed based on all the good press this amp gets. Part of it was expectations (I was thinking I would be blown away, but wasn't) and part of it was the price tag (320 + tax = a lot for what will always be a bedroom amp). I started thinking my first generation Micro Cube wasn't that bad after all. To me, the Yamaha sounded pretty good, but still like a box with little speakers. If the THR10 was more like $200 tax in, I would have liked it more I think. At around $350 we're in used Mustang III territory which would do me double duty.

The Angry Possum likes this.
  13. Saigonbob

Saigonbob TDPRI Member

+1!

14. ranjam

ranjam Tele-Holic

I would say if you want to go cheap, you go used and off the so called beaten path. Kijiji or Craigslist can be your friend, and I'd look for an old Marshall Valvestate or even an old Peavey 'basic' amplifiers. I picked up both off of Kijiji. I got the Valvestate 8020 for $100 but I am sure I could have talked him down more. I was just in a hurry. It's 20-watts with Reverb that takes pedals well. The 'Lead' channel is cheesy in that 90's hair metal band way, so I don't use it. That amp sits by my bed if the inspiration hits me at two in the morning, along with a Zoom H4.
    I picked up a Peavey Basic 40 from Kijiji for $60 and again, you could even have done better. I am just not very good at bargaining. But that amp is very basic; no channel switching with the Peavey 'Saturation', no reverb, just simple controls. 40-watts into a single 12" speaker. And it sounds actually pretty decent, and again it takes pedals well. That amp site in the music room ready to record to hard disc. An EHX Holy Grail+ gives me all the Reverb I need.
    Look on your local Kijiji. You'll see something. Don't discount a bullet-proof Peavey. Your 'other than clean' tones will come from pedals, and Peavey does a decent clean tone.

15. 4telecaster4

4telecaster4 Tele-Meister

I third the vox pathfinder 15r

16. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Why not get a speaker attenuator for the amps that you already know and love? A 50 watt one from Weber is only $132 (http://www.tedweber.com/minimass) and there are others out there.

17. goodguy

goodguy TDPRI Member

Ok, I have all the Fender Pawnshop amps. The Ramparte is the only one I would recommend Just based upon looks, looks great in a living room but no reverb and LOUD LOUD. Fender Greta is also nice as a tabletop amp but no verb.
    Fender Bassbreaker 007 is awesome but no verb (just buy a pedal).. Fender Vibrochamp XD is great and has reverb.
    But, here I go again... For the best tone and bang for the buck (no verb though) is get a 1980's solid state Marshall Lead 12 - awesome for low volume cleans and for OD tones (can do clean, Bluesbreaker and JCM800 tones - and sounds 90% as good as my new Bassbreaker 007)...it can't be beat and can get loud too if you desire. Sounds just like a tube amp and has headphone out. And has that vintage look, especially if you find one with faded cloth (or change out cloth to a basket weave color). For practicality and availability though, you might checkout the Vibrochamp.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    xafinity likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.