Looking for a good practice amp…

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Kmaxbrady, Sep 11, 2021.

Please vote for the best practice amp

1. Fender mustang LT25

18 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Yamaha thr 10 (or maybe the 5)

38 vote(s)
    52.8%
  3. Positive Grid spark

16 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike TDPRI Member

Vox Pathfinder 10, and a reverb pedal. Awesome clean tone. Small, cute, and cheap. You won’t believe the quality of the sound for what you paid.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My advice would be to go try out a bunch of amps to find out what voicing you want, then try to narrow it down.

Personally, I would pass on all three that you mention, because there are much better options. But again, if one of those nail the sound you want then get that one. Otherwise, keep on looking.

3. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Cheap if you already have a decent reverb pedal . . .

4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with everything you said about the LT25. I use the BF Deluxe 90% of the time, and when I'm not using that one, it's one of the other Fender BF or Tweed amp models, or maybe a Vox one. I prefer to use the Deluxe model set clean, with an overdrive pedal for a nice low to medium gain bluesy lead sound, although the on-board virtual drive pedals are quite good too. Also, the LT25 and THR10C both sound sensational when recording direct through their USB out. It's by far the best sounding recording I've gotten at home, using any method

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    davidchagrin and Tele-friend like this.
  5. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

I didn't read through all the post, but I'm sure someone else has suggested the Vox Pathfinder 15R, if you can find one.

6. flatcat90

flatcat90 TDPRI Member

My THR10 (version 1) is one of my favorite purchases ever. Good sounding effects. Awesome to record with (despite only 44.1k). Versatile. Extremely portable - I brought it in my suitcase to Afghanistan. Sounds great. You can play along using the little input, or use it as a stereo for around the house. Best of all - it's nice looking and doesn't look like an amp. My wife doesn't mind it at all. Couldn't recommend higher.

I love my Pathfinder 15R, but the THR10 is awesome.

Tim S likes this.
  7. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

These two do fine - they are the only ones being used in my living room and both could power a small gig, the Champ XD could do more
    The Vox is great for low volume practise and has all needed models incl effects
    E268C7A0-334C-4984-9369-56F6B837D7AA.jpeg ED042CA1-966A-4E64-9FE2-866E05ECDC7E.jpeg

8. SavBalac

SavBalac TDPRI Member

I have both a THR10II, and an Iridium with Presonus Eris E5 monitors.

The Iridium & monitors sounds better and I have the controls at my feet. It records better and is better with headphones.

I used to own an AC15 which only sounded good when it was too loud for a small practice room!

benderb9 and loopfinding like this.
  9. SavBalac

SavBalac TDPRI Member

I have both a THR10II, and an Iridium with Presonus Eris E5 monitors.

The Iridium & monitors sounds better and I have the controls at my feet. The Iridium has 3 amps (Fender Deluxe Reverb, Vox AC30, Marshall Plexi) and 3 cabs per amp. It records better and is better with headphones. The THR has stereo speakers but sounds too 'artificial'.

I used to own an AC15 which only sounded good when it was too loud for a small practice room!

10. sxl213

sxl213 TDPRI Member

Tube Princeton Reverb, if you got $$$. otherwise Blues JR,

11. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I bought the LT25 just for that purpose. I only like a few of the presets, but they can be manipulated/altered to your own taste. I often just use the #01 "Fender Clean", but sub in other amp models and do a few tweaks. It's a fun amp with good tones....good value for the money.

Note: Many on-line comparisons and reviews are wrong: for instance, the LT25 DOES have TREMOLO feature, and DOES NOT have a battery powered capability. Read manufacturers specs carefully before you buy.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1547905/Fender-Mustang-Lt25.html

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Tele-friend likes this.
  12. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

I have the THR5, and really like it. It's not my only amp, and I've got other options, including attenuators, that will certainly do some things better. But the THR combines some great sounds and some great features in a very easy to use format - and on its own terms, I think it's untouchable.

I am Spark-curious, but I have to say that my own use of the THR has been 95% cable and app free - just easy and intuitive knob-twiddling - and totally fit for my own purposes.

13. Shiner51

Shiner51 TDPRI Member

A Boss Katana on the .5 watt setting. Tons of tones and you can gig with it too on the 50 or 100 watt settings.

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Make sure you turn it up loud enough so you don't hear them knocking...

policeatdoor.JPG

PCollen, Tele-friend and MilwMark like this.
  15. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I would agree, IF the OP had mentioned wanting to gig with the amp instead of just using it ONLY for home practice.

16. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

Dude, great picks. I have the XD, and have played a pathfinder 15R. You can cover basically anything with that combo, and just about keep up with drums.

Good setup.

17. surf_jimi

surf_jimi Tele-Meister

The XD with a speaker upgrade can actually keep up with a drummer as long as it’s not Animal from the Muppets.

Theorage likes this.
  18. reedrainey

reedrainey TDPRI Member

I'm assuming you're referring the the Frontman 25G, no longer produced. The Frontman 10 and 15 are minus the footswitch and reverb. But the Frontman 15r has reverb (r designation). And the 10G does not (G for general?). Deals are on used copies of whichever you prefer, but I think most people would go for the 25R, and anything larger than those numbers are too large and heavy to make the cut as a practice/bedroom/dorm amp.

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I have been through quite a few, and I have settled on the Roland Micro Cube.

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. palethorn

palethorn TDPRI Member

Audio interface -> computer -> AMP sim.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.