Looking for a good practice amp…

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Kmaxbrady, Sep 11, 2021.

Please vote for the best practice amp

1. Fender mustang LT25

18 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Yamaha thr 10 (or maybe the 5)

38 vote(s)
    52.8%
  3. Positive Grid spark

16 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

The Roland Micro Cube![​IMG]

I have 13 tube amps and I still love my little red Cube ("...you don*t know what I got":))

I have the old model...it sounds really organic,especially the break up tones..and it works great with tubescreamers etc.
    The newer GX isn't built as well (knobs.tolex,looks cheaper), but sounds pretty much the same and has some new useful features (storing etc.)

wevard, SamIV, jays0n and 2 others like this.
  2. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Have you looked at the mooer hornet? 20 watt, comes in 'tweed' type setting or a rockier type sound, I have the tweed sound and like it alor. Similar size to a micro cube, six amp settings, but you can put bass and acoustic through it too.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

Simplicity of use, great sound:
    Check the Orange Crush 35 RT. Much more versatile than most people think. I play jazz with mine !

studio1087 likes this.
  4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, the Yamaha suits a little (or a lot of) gain better. I wouldn't use it for clean sounds.

I have the 5 and I honestly don't see what advantages the 10 would give me for a living room amp. I also do all my recording with the 5.

And it looks great in the living room, a little like an old-fashioned radio.

tattypicker, borducks, jays0n and 2 others like this.
  5. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Holic

I voted for LT25 that I own. I bought it because it has gazillion of different amp models and effects built in. It is really easy do change the settings on the amp itself, no computer needed. At first it was really interesting to learn how different amps sound (like many different Fenders, Marshalls, Vox, Hiwatt etc.) and what different effects sound like (chorus, flanger, (reverse) delay, octaver, fuzz...).
    In the end I found the sound I really like, a Fender Deluxe amp with a little bit of reverb and I use this almost all of the time as my basic sound (sometimes also a Bassbreaker or Marshall). Now I actually use it as a pedals platform and it take pedals really well.
    One more thing, I live in appartment so I use it with headphones a lot. The sound through headphones is absolutely amazing as it is through the speaker.

For the price of this amp, it is a no brainer ;)

6. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Holic

I have a THR 10 II that I use mostly with headphones and hooked to my computer to play along with lessons and tracks. I don’t think it sounds very good without headphones….. It sounds good for it’s intended use, but it is just not a proper amp.

I would go for the LT25 or even expand your choices to the 40 watt version or the Champion 40………watts are good.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  7. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have owned 2 out of the three you have listed, sold the Yamaha and kept the Mustang.

8. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I know most people like the Yamaha. But I really only like the clean sound on that. I sold that and bought a mustang LT25 and I’m happy. You get to save like 60 presets, and it is very easy to modify them and create your own. I use mine strictly as as headphone amp and have no plans to change.

9. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Afflicted

Roland Micro Cube. I have the GX and it's a simple practice amp that can produce great sounds at low volume. No screens/menus and no computer connections. Just turn the knobs until you like what you hear. The amp models are good and the effects help get my creative juices flowing. It's a perfect little bedroom amp.

Vibroluxer, wevard and jays0n like this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What volume level?

In the tricky 68-74 dB range I find the THRii the best. Open. Great feel. Dynamic. Clean, edge and overdriven.

If 75-79 dB then the MicroCube is equally good but different.

The Spark to me ear and hand is much more compressed.

I’d take the THR or MicroCube over any of the tube amps proffered at those volumes, all day.

“Home” volume of 85-95 dB (motorcycle levels but indoors) is unrealistic to me. I just think a lot of people are unaware how loudly they actually practice.

davidchagrin, Ron C and nojazzhere like this.
  11. BamaSurf

BamaSurf TDPRI Member

I really dig my Princeton Reverb Tweed w/ 12” speaker. Gives me all the tone I need at low volume and it will crank when wanted. Nice simple easy to use all tube amplifier. Takes pedals well...

beninma likes this.
  12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Are you looking for just a low volume practice (aka bedroom) amp or do you want sufficient volume for jamming or even gigging?

Do you want to have battery powered portability?

Do you want a single amp tone or a variety of tones?

Do you want to use the amp as a pedal platform or do you want effects integrated into the amp?

What's the upper limit on your budget?

Of the 3 you mentioned...

I like the Mustang LT25 the best due to the larger speaker and more "amp in the room" sound. However, since I've only tried it in stores, I don't know how it would do as a pedal platform or hold up at louder volumes. It also doesn't have a battery powered option.

The THR sounds good, especially clean-ish, and seems to work well as a low volume pedal platform. It also can run on batteries. It also seems to be built quite well and should be durable, something you would expect in a portable amp.

The Spark sounds good but the output feels more "refined", more like studio monitors playing back a final mix than a raw amp sound. It is also a bit more complicated to operate than the other two choices. A co-worker of mine has one and he really likes it but he has mentioned that he has had trouble dialing in tones similar to what he's heard from my SFPR.

davidchagrin and MilwMark like this.
  13. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Lots of good advice out here. I love my little Champ XD (see avatar), and I got it used for like 175 bucks! Modded it with vintage NOS tubes and Jensen alnico in her, which I got on deals for maybe 100 bucks more, and she's a rockin' hot little Mama! You should check em out. Simple to use and very versatile amp, with plenty of power for practice etc. IMO.

14. kmckenna45

kmckenna45 TDPRI Member

I've had several Fender Mustangs. They're great - but don't have that tube sound. I have a Monoprice Stageright 15 w - it was cheap $250. All Tubes. Check YT. Everyone gives this amp really high reviews. It has onboard Reverb and several controls but it's simple. I've actually been looking for something with a little more "crunch", but nothing can touch the quality and sound of the Monoprice amp. When I compare it to anything else under $500 - the Monoprice always wins. It's really too good to be true. They sell out regularly on the Monoprice site - so you may have to check back a few times to buy one. You can't go wrong for the money.

BTW - I tried the Spark - I bought it and sent it back. It seems like a marketing gimmick to me. There was a slight delay in some of the effects that are on your computer (instead of resident on the amp). I don't know - it wasn't for me. It was very versatile, but I think you exchange the sound quality for versatility.

If I was going to go with a DSP amp, I'd go back to the Fender Mustangs. They've been around long enough that you can get one really cheap. And the sound is very good.

But if you want an inexpensive tube amp that can provide a lot of sound (1W/15W), the way to go is Monoprice. In comparison it blows away the Fender Blue Jr, and anything else that is twice the price.

Happy Enchilada likes this.
  15. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Afflicted

I like the Vox VT30 for practice. Lots of effects. Quite a few nice amp models. Really nice cleans. 30 watts with a built in attenuator that is totally smooth. 8 user presets. I liked it better than the Mustang because you actually to get nice tube character from the 12AX7 in the preamp.

16. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

THR5

hemingway likes this.
  17. yundi

yundi TDPRI Member

I vote for the THR because it's great for "simple" and classic sounds that don't require plenty of effects.

Have a look at the Katana mini, there are a lot of Katana fans out there.

I wouldn't go for fender because of what they did to their Mustang amps could happen again (discontinued software support to the extent of removing the program download from their site)

Another hidden gem, which is always overlooked, is the boss eband js-10. It's quite old compared to the others, but IMHO it's still a good choice

18. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Holic

I love the Fender Champion 20 but it won't run on batteries.

Midgetje94 likes this.
  19. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Holic

I’d say the Katana. Either 100 or 50 (not too much of a price difference) in case you decide to play out. The 50 has gotten through plenty of gigs. But I personally like 212. Get that air start to pushing. Can get very Tube like tones, plenty of built in effects, takes pedals well. Can hook it up to a laptop and Access more effects and really fine tune them.

I had a 50 and regret selling it. But looking for the right 100 for the right price.

but as for a living room amp. The 50 can step from 50, 25, and 1 watt.

my main amp is a Crate VC50 212. I love it. I have a little Orange Crush 25RT. Great little 2 channel practice amp. But the RT only has built in reverb and tuner, although both work very well, may limit your onboard effect options.

20. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Holic

Another thought….a Katana 100 head. It has a built in 5 inch speaker and you have the option of using a cab….. I wish I had done that instead of the THR.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.