Looking for a good practice amp…

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Kmaxbrady, Sep 11, 2021.

Please vote for the best practice amp

1. Fender mustang LT25

18 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Yamaha thr 10 (or maybe the 5)

38 vote(s)
    52.8%
  3. Positive Grid spark

16 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Holic

Looking to pick up a practice amp to keep in my living room.
    I’ve narrowed it down to these 3 choices but I’m open to other suggestions. Please only vote if you have hands on experience! Thanks

My main criteria:
    1. Sound quality
    2. Simplicity/ease of use

I’m leaning towards the fender because of the larger speaker and I just like fender products. But I’ve heard such good things about the other 2.

PCollen, BamaSurf and crazydave911 like this.
  2. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

No experience with the Fender, but I have owned the Yamaha THR10 (first generation - I presume the current one is different), and currently own the Spark.
    I find it much easier to get great tones with the Spark, compared to the THR10, especially when it comes to applying effects like delay, reverb, or tremolo.
    The THR10 wasn't bad, but the Spark sounds better and is easier to use (again: I'm talking about the first generation THR10, not the current one).

3. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Well I won't buy another Fender amp, not after dropping all support for the earlier Mustang range.

Rather spend my money with a company who don't give their customers the finger on fairly new products.

Doesn't exactly take up a lot of web space to keep links to their software and patches.

4. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Afflicted

Needs another choice: Pignose. Couldn't be any simpler, sounds great, portable...

Dik Ellis, Midgetje94, PARCO and 3 others like this.
  5. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, and BTW, I play rockabilly, classic country, rootsy rock'n'roll, and the likes, so: clean and low gain tones only; might be different for people who are looking for higher gain tones...

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Holic

Not a bad idea, but I want some built in effects.

7. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Roland Cube 10gx?
    The only problem is I don't think you can use one effect at a time.

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. Redleg37

Redleg37 Tele-Meister

Kind of the same boat here. I sold my mustang 3 after it became increasingly difficult to update settings with my computer and there wasn’t any support available anymore.

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

If you need physical, good to go, then go for the mustang cause it’s cheapest. When you get to the Yamaha territory, just buy some used studio monitors and use an amp modeler.

I use jbl lsr305s and an iridium. There are obviously cheaper options than the iridium, but both of those things are much more generally useful to me outside of practice. my lsr305s even double as my home stereo.

I feel like there is so much guitar gear out there that just takes advantage of guitar myopia and convenience.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  10. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have both the original THR10 & a Spark 40. If you desire simple knob twisting to get your sound, then the THR is the better choice. But if you’re comfortable tweaking simulated pedals and amp models with a phone or tablet, then the Spark offers a lot more choices (and volume).

I don’t have any experience with Fender Mustang amps (except for the Micro), but I know some folks here love them. This is a great time for practice amps.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Not Fender Frontman? Very good reverb and decent speaker size. Also a footswicth in/out for distortion or pedals. My normal is a Roland mini Cube though the above 10g has a much bigger speaker and effects computer/app updatable. No experience with the others and no real desire to gain any, sorry

12. Bob J

Bob J Tele-Holic

I voted on behalf of my son, who when faced with the same choice chose the thr. He would rather tweak the knobs than mess with an app. He feels the interface makes more sense to him. I have his old Frontman 25r (2009?)

13. EugeneWeemich

EugeneWeemich Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

$250

Spark all the way. perfect pratice amp. just got one and love it.

headphones or speakers.

Software modeling
    1 gate
    5 compressors
    10 drives
    30 amp models
    12 mod/eq
    6 delay
    9 reverb.

can access other's signal chains via cloud on App

record via USB or trs out

can Bluetooth your phone music to it.

and there's other stuff.

super easy.

RomanS likes this.
  14. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

You might want to add the Roland Micro Cube to your search.

15. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I voted for the LT25, because, although I have a THR10C, it's discontinued, and I don't care for the standard THR, which is all they make now. I've had several Roland Cubes, the Micro, 20GX, and 40GX, Vox Pathfinder 15R, the Vox VX1 and 2, and the Vox AV15, the Katana 50 and Mini, the Blackstar ID Core 10 and 20, ID15-TVP, Fly 3, and LT Echo 15, and the Fender Champion 20, Mustang 1 V2, Vibro Champ XD, GT40, and LT25, and the three I've still got, because I like their sound the most at the low volume levels that I play at, are the LT25, THR10C, and Katana Mini. And, the LT25 requires no computer for full editing capability, because everything can be adjusted right on the amp, using the screen and encoder. Even the THR needs a computer for anything but rudimentary adjustments of its effects. The only thing you can do with a computer with the LT25 that you can't do without a PC is to try the additional 99 presets in the Tone software, and it's actually only 69, because 30 of the 99 are the ones that come loaded into the amp.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    goonie, Tele-friend and Kmaxbrady like this.
  16. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

My niece had one of those a decade ago. I never could get a good sound out of it. I could hear 10 different effects, but a good "clean" sound was never in the cards.

My Fender Frontman 25R has reverb, a large speaker, and a great "clean" channel that takes pedals well. I paid $50 for it used and I'll never sell it.

17. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I got a Fender Mustang 1 for my college-age grand daughter. It sounds great, and has about 50 choices for modeling sounds pre-programmed in, so you just scroll through them. I haven't tried the other two you mentioned, the Spark seems more complicated and the Yamaha seems less versatile. Good luck with your choice.

18. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Carolina's (pick one - that's where I'll be) USA
    Champ 20

ataylor and guitar_paul1 like this.
  19. surf_jimi

surf_jimi Tele-Meister

I have a Super Champ XD, a Vox pathfinder 15R and a small Vox mini3 battery powered amp. I recommend any of them. Different power levels, prices, effects and features but I have had all 3 of them for years and they’re all excellent.

Siegeld, tblaster57 and nojazzhere like this.
  20. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

None of the above. Those are entry level, beginner amps with sound to match. A Fender Blues Jr., Fender Pro Jr., Marshall DSL-5CR or Marshall DSL-1CR have a much better sound and are Pro level amps that can be used for gigs as well as the living room.

tblaster57 and Vibroluxer like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.