1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for a good PAF type of Bucker

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Jethro, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Maggot

Maggot Tele-Afflicted

Don't discount the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary, Air Classic, and PAF Masters. They sound really nice. I like almost all of the lower output Dimarzio pickups. I can't remember if I had the 36th or the Air Classic, but it was pretty nice.

Dimarzio also makes my least favorite pickup of all time: the Tone Zone!

2. Dirtybluegene

Dirtybluegene Tele-Holic

I've got a Manlius Landmark neck PAF clone. Mick at Manlius very kindly listened to clips I sent him of a 60s SG as my ideal neck humbucker tone. He offered to custom wind or recommend one of his and I went for his standard Landmark. For US$95, the service and quality can't be beat, he had it made and shipped off to Australia within a few days. He has a range of buckers ranging from various vintage configurations to the modern stuff.

3. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

After reading this, I'm curious to know which pickups were in my early 80's 339 styled Ibanez Artist (Crafted in Japan). It was stolen from me almost 20 years ago, but I remember the tones I got out of that thing were amazing

4. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

I got hooked on the SD 59 playing Hamer guitars. I like the SD 59 neck. I like the SD 59 bridge too but I wish it had a little more umph. The SD JB is to much for my taste. The Thornbucker neck is close to the SD 59. Again I whish the Thornbucker bridge had more umph. The Thornbucker bridge has a A4 magnet which I might change out with a A5.

5. ZZB3

ZZB3 Tele-Holic

I run a Duncan Antiquity Neck humbucker paired with a Duncan Donahue in the bridge. I play mostly clean and love the tone and clarity. I have put Seth Lovers into a friends es335 clone and those are sweet as well.

6. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

I've been using the Wilde L90 2h in the neck of my Squier CVC for a couple of years now. It has enough treble to hang with the Keystone in the bridge. I once owned an original PAF in a tele Custom and although it was in the bridge, it had unique characteristics. PAFs benefit from a range of inaccuracies in manufacturing that bestow various tonalities. L90s do not have these variables and do not display the same failings. You can certainly get typical PAF tones but you have to work at it. Turning down the tone control will work if you isolate the response you want electronically. EQing can help. With a L90 you are shaping through reduction, subtracting frequencies. Other pickups are EQed in manufacture and some frequencies are absent. I think it is easier to start with a full palette.

7. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I use an Air Classic bridge in my Les Paul, and an Air Classic neck in my Flying V. Both absolutely outstanding pickups.

The Tone Zone is also a totally fantastic pickup, if you're not after classic vintage tones. That's just not what it was designed for.

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

DiMarzio PAF Pro. Put'em in a few guitars over the past 20 years. Great PAF tone, cleans are bell-like and chimey, split it sounds more like a single-coil than most humbuckers. Also matches well with single coils in other positions.

9. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

This tele is a solid piece of Honduram Mahogany, so this may impact the choices here I guess?

10. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Okay....thanks for that info. The buttery neck tone sounds intriguing

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.