Looking for a good looper

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ftgjr, Jun 7, 2013.

1. ftgjr

ftgjr Tele-Meister

I'm interested in getting something that can loop, so I can jam. I already have a Zoom G2 that has a drum beat thing.

Perhaps a delay that loops, dedicated looper pedal or maybe stepping up to the Zoom G3, which has a 40 second looper. If I get the G3, I can sell the G2

I see a Boss RC 2 for $75 on CL

What say everyone?

2. Blustele

Blustele Tele-Afflicted

I am getting a little better timing on the Ditto. My first looper, so not much to compare it to.

3. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

I've had great luck with the Digitech Jamman.

4. backsideslappy

backsideslappy Tele-Afflicted

Have heard nothing but chiming praise for the ditto. It's next on my list.

5. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

I'm a fan of the ditto too. Small, not too dear, very simple to use and doesn't colour the sound.
    Downside to it that I've seen mentioned is that it doesn't store your loops, but I don't have a problem with that.

6. goz211

goz211 Tele-Meister

I've looked into Loopers to add percussion for a folk duo thing. Digitech Jamman Stereo was the winner. I needed it to take a mic input as well as a guitar input.

I see them discounted right now.

The Ditto mentioned on here looks really easy to get going. If I was getting one just for guitar - that'd be the one.

@Hobbster01 - your sig about the Peavey Bandit. I'm gigging thirty years this year (on keyboard/piano). Playing with a dep (or as a dep) can be stressful and a cause of anxiety - especially in the agency work I do where it's Corporate or someone's Wedding and it needs to be good. When I see a dep guitar player turn up with single coils (Tele or Strat) and a Bandit - I know it's going to be ok.

Had a dep ring up an hour before the gig to tell me his tube amp had just packed in and could I borrow him an amp. "Use your Bandit" I said. "Just tried it" he said "it ain't working." I knew his Dad played. "Phone your Dad and get his Bandit." "I did. He just switched it on and said it's dead." I felt totally justfied in saying "Your back up amp, a Bandit, is dead and your Dad's amp, also a Bandit isn't working? Really? You're either lying to me or you've run over a fecking unicorn."

7. goz211

goz211 Tele-Meister

Ditto to the Ditto recommendation (sorry, couldn't resist).

+1 to Blustele's post. I appreciate that those on here a while will see the same questions asked again - and may helpfully post to point to earlier threads.

The Ditto is new - and - this new product is the one I'd go for - simple and priced cheaper than many of the guitar effects pedals we talk about on here. A simple, plug in your guitar, easy to use, pop it in your gig bag looper.

8. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Sorry! Sometimes I think these "What looper should I get" threads are on a loop! I do understand that the technology is constantly changing but it's worth digging through the archives too IMO.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 on the Jamman Stereo.

Downloading jam tracks, backing tracks and percussion tracks from itunes sealed the deal for me. As already noted, the mic input is great for vocals and acoustic guitar.

The best part is you get to hear yourself playing over yourself ... lead over rhythm.

Good luck! It is the pedal that transformed my playing!

10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 for Jamman Solo

11. LesCanard

LesCanard TDPRI Member

I'm addicted to my loopers. 3 amps, 3 loopers as follows:

Blues Jr. - Looper in my Line 6 M13
    Tweaker - Boss RC-3
    Pathfinder - Ditto

I use them all. The RC-3 is IMO the best as it has the most features. Highlights are 99 banks to either store ideas or download back tracks from my Mac. In addition, one of the best features is the ability to Auto start, which for me is a big deal as it helps on the timing of the start anyway. Plus the drum beats help keep time, they aren't ridiculously great but act as a nice metronome when i want one. The M13 is just a nice feature to have, easy to use for practicing. And the Ditto is fantastic, I use it just to practice, but its also small enough I can take it outside in the backyard and use it with my Yamaha THR5 just so I can lay down a rythym and then play lead over it, just a blast.

image-3723011303.jpg

image-863369046.jpg

12. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Holic

Jamman has a new model the Express coming out for 99.00 that has up to 10 minutes of looping on it. I have there Delay model and like it fine. Recently got a Ditto pedal and it is way cool and works perfect off my One Spot power supply. The Ditto sounds great and is super easy to use.

13. fly135

fly135 Tele-Holic

Since you mentioned the drum beat thing the G3 would be a great replacement with a looper. The G3 drum beats are synced to the 40 sec looper. You cannot easily do that with the G2 and a separate looper. OTOH, if you get a looper with storage you can put drum tracks on it.

The temp storage loopers like the Ditto do not provide an easy way to incorporate drums. You would have to create the loop with the drums on your G2, then turn off the drum beats before playing.

14. ftgjr

ftgjr Tele-Meister

Thanks. I may be leaning towards the G3, since it can loop and has all the other effects. The Ditto seems really cool in that it's small but for $30 more the G2 seems like the best choice plus I can sell my G2.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

16. fly135

fly135 Tele-Holic

One cool thing about the G3 looper that is rarely mentioned is the progress bar on the display. It's the only looper I know of that tells you were you are in the loop at all time. So when creating the loop you know how much time is left. And when overdubbing you know where you are overdubbing in the loop.

OTOH one bad thing about the looper is that you have to exit the looper display to use the footswitches for changing tones and then go back to use the looper controls. Also while the drums are synced they have to be turned on and off by the rhythm button, so if you stop the loop the drums are still playing. If you restart the loop you have to start it on the drum beat. Whereas when you first create the loop, the looper starts on the drum beat with a nice countdown.

I'm not a very good guitar player but many of my songs in my link were done with the G3 looper. It really helped me play stuff "above my level". Keeping the recorder running all the time allowed me to catch stuff that I didn't even know I could play. IOW I can even play my own songs a second time!:eek:

17. JHVH!

JHVH! Banned

Pardon me. Being a Yank, I have no idea what a "dep" is.
    Please explain.

18. davguitar

davguitar Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I just went through the process of deciding on a looper pedal. What you should buy depends on what you need. I finally decided that I can't get all that I want in a floor pedal format, at least not without spending big bucks, so I compromised.

If you don't need storage capability then the Boomerang is one of the best. Strymon also make a nice looper. Pigtronix have one, too. I bought a Vox DelayLab which has looping capability and it is very easy to use in a live setting. It does not have loop storage but otherwise I think it performs great and without a hassle. I also upgraded from the Boss RC-2 to the RC-3 as the RC-3 has 3 hours of total storage time for times when I do want to use some pre-recorded loops. If you have a second switch like the FS5 or FS6 that makes using this a bit easier, IMHO.

I think that what most players really want you still can't really get in a looper unless you use a computer based program. I know that I'd like to have a looper that can be more easily used for a song with verses and a chorus with different chord patterns or rhythms. I've read about guys who'll use, say, multiple single pedals like the RC-3 and have separate loops recorded on each and they are so skilled that they can switch these in and out without glitches. I have problems being precise with one pedal so two or three pedals would probably give me an ulcer.

I also thought about that Digitech JML2 Stereo unit, but they have revamped their single-size pedal and they are made so you can easily connect two or more of these together as though they are one continuous unit. I don't know all of the capabilities but this might solve the need for having separate loops to complete an entire song with verses and a chorus, for example. As I am writing this I am thinking to myself that I should have looked more into these. These are the model Jam Man Solo XT units. I still want to try out one of these XT's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.