1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking For A Durable Guitar Cable.... Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bowpickins, Jan 16, 2019.

1. vandycaster

vandycaster TDPRI Member

Rattlesnake cable company!!!!!

Tootle and Bowpickins like this.
  2. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Bowpickins likes this.
  3. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    JayFreddy and Bowpickins like this.
  4. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I’m a die-hard kirlin fan now. The kirlin premium plus cables are top shelf as far as I’m concerned. Super great build quality, and crazy inexpensive, plus a lifetime warranty. I’ve been using the same 2 I bought 4 years ago, playing both live/at home with no issues. If I ever need to buy more cables, I’m buying more kirlins.

Bowpickins likes this.
  5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Ive had a new Peavey go bad, unrepairable, and had a Fender go bad and repaired twice. Ive got 20 year old cables working fine. Appears to be random.

Bowpickins likes this.
  6. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

Thanks for the suggestion, I like the right angle on my teles too. I somehow managed to mess up the input jack on my G&L when I used a straight angle in it a couple of times. Switched to right angles and all issues went away.

LocoTex likes this.
  7. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

I'll have a check those out soon. Thanks!:)

8. dotpc

dotpc TDPRI Member

Lava and Canare are the most reliable in my opinion.

Greggorios, Bowpickins and uriah1 like this.
  9. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Always have at least two on a gig.

It helps when they are guaranteed by the store near you, just bring the broken one in and trade it out every time you break one.

I've never owned a cable that didn't break sooner or later.

Bowpickins likes this.
  10. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

ProCo, an amazing company.
    I've been using them for decades.
    They advertise a lifetime guarantee. I had one go bad (an angled plug; problematical at times). They replaced it... and sent another cable for good measure. Great company.
    They're the best.

suave eddie, Bowpickins and aerhed like this.
  11. peeweepete

peeweepete Tele-Meister

Sommer The Spirit XXL plus Neutrik plugs

I've been using two of those for some years now without any complaint. I don't abuse them but they do get stepped on and at one point I accidentally yanked the cable and the stock Tele socket quite hard by stepping on it while playing. The plug got bent by some degrees but other than that the cable is still working perfectly.

Bowpickins likes this.
  12. memiller

memiller Tele-Meister

Long Story Short: Literally every cable will do that. Just buy whichever one is cheapest and looks best to you.

Long Story: No brand is more resilient than another. When it comes down to it they're all built the same. It's stranded wire wrapped in rubber, clamped by some means to a chunk of metal, with a small solder joint that is going to get stressed regardless of what you do simply because physics will not allow the metal to keep the rubber 100% in place forever. Abandon all hope.

The good news is that most problems are user error and can be easily corrected by not doing damaging things.

- If you sit and play a lot be careful that you're not sitting the guitar down on the end of the cable.

-If that is the most comfortable position for you, a 90 degree connector will be a cheap upgrade that will absolutely save you time in the long run by not having to repair cables.

- Don't pull the cable. Always grab the cover instead. No matter how well clamped the cable is inside there, it is no match for us alopecia gorillas and this will cause premature failure.

- In the same vein, make sure you're not letting cables dangle from the front of your amp directly to wherever it's going. Put some slack in it, then run it under the cabinet. This does two things. Anyone tripping over it cannot knock your amp over, and the pulling action won't put direct stress on the end of the cable.

- I've only seen a couple of people do this, but don't tie your cable ends together when you roll them up. This should go without saying but... well, we have to look out for our logically deficient brethren. And sisteren. But the nieceren and nephewren are on their own. Cousinren are right out...

Wildcard_35 and Bowpickins like this.
  13. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

"No brand is more resilient than another. When it comes down to it they're all built the same."

Having taken apart several brands of cables and seen how they are put together, I strongly disagree with that statement.

Thick braided shielding which is difficult to take apart vs wispy spiral shielding that falls apart.

Well done strong silver solder connections that are difficult to desolder vs poorly done little connections that evaporate instantly.

Switchcraft plugs vs junk.

Bowpickins likes this.
  14. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

In 50 years of gigging I've found cable survival to be pretty random. I've got 10 year old cheapo's, and I've had cheapo's that fail after a few months. Same with the expensive big names. Some cables sound better than others, and that's random too. If I have to replace a cable now I just buy a middle of the road one. The expensive ones feel nicer though!

memiller, Wildcard_35 and Bowpickins like this.
  15. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I've been using Mogami Silver, the same ones for years ! U can catch them on sale now and then at the net retail stores.

Bowpickins likes this.
  16. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted

It really does mostly come down to cable management. I still have a couple of no-name cables from late 80s which work exceedingly well - never had to re-solder them. Early naughts I bought two Yellow Cables, mainly because of a lifetime warranty which I'm unlikely to take advantage of... one of them got hurt, I re-soldered ground and done.

Last year I figured I'll get rid of any cabling issues permanently. After some research I ended up buying about 30m (that's 100 feet to y'all folks) of Mogami cable and some Neutrik plugs (the SilentPLUGs are great :)) and started soldering my own. Got five top quality silent cables for the price of ... two? One and a half?

Of course the next purchase after this was Xvive U2s... since then my only cables are the 3 on the floor between my pedalboard and amp. Guitar - board connection is wireless and very likely to stay that way. I'm not prone to cable breaks, but the guitar - board cable usually ends up under my wah. I really recommend considering wireless; U2 goes for about $150 new, you can probably find cheaper used. Or you can find similar systems for $40 in Ebay.

In general get a cheap solder and learn how to solder plugs properly. It'll save you in the long run.

Bowpickins likes this.
  17. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

For the last five years, I've been using a Planet Waves cable, with a circuit breaker plug, into my guitar and a long tweed Fender cable, back to the amp from my tuner pedal. I have this lovely, minimalist and expensive George L cable in my bag, waiting for the day the standard stuff fails- but it hasn't happened yet.
    The Tweed covered cable picks up a load of dirt- especially at outdoor gigs but has otherwise outperformed it's price tag. The PW has an extra reason to go wrong- but the circuit breaker has been faultless, somewhat to my surprise.

Cables are subject to a lot of abuse- especially when they leave the house. Learn how to coil them properly and think about your cable runs and needless points of stress. Other than that- buy what you like and at a price you think is reasonable.

Bowpickins likes this.
  18. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Buy some bulk cable like Rapco ... some SwitchCraft 280 plugs and some heat shrink. Make your own .... cheap. Just as good as anything you buy, you can make them any length.

Been doing it for over a half century .... I sell off the excess. Never have had a problem.

Don't get caught up in the cable hype. It is an expensive trap.

Nick Fanis and Bowpickins like this.
  19. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

My "main" guitar cable is one of those Livewire brand cables that Guitar Center guarantees for life. Regarding durability, I bought it 15 years ago and have probably done over 300 gigs with it, plus regular use at the house, etc.

They go for about $1/foot...e.g. $20 for a 20-foot cable. They might be available on Musicians Friend also...not sure.

Jimmy Dean and Bowpickins like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.