1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking for a delay recommendation...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, May 5, 2020.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I am looking to acquire a new delay pedal. I have my ears kinda set on a Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe and I tend to trust my ears but wanted to get some suggestions. The only thing I think I want (but not necessarily need) that the BED does not have is tap tempo.

Preferences for the delay:

1) Analog dry path
    2) More warm, vintage sounding than modern (analog, tape, echorec style)
    3) Reasonable footprint for board (original MMD is probably too big)
    4) Don't think I need more than 800-1000ms. Prefer analog, not opposed to vintage sound/feel digital...

My current favorite of all time delay is an original Ibanez AD9 (pink) and that works great in the effects loop of my amp - have it maxed at 600ms with a few repeats. I also have a Digitech Obscura Altered Delay and sounds great for a digital pedal but its not quite there for me...

What I have tried, probably would not go back to, but think they are good:

- TC Electronic Alter Ego
    - TC HOF
    - MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe
    - Eventide TimeFactor

Would appreciate your thoughts on a few good contenders vs/alternative to the Belle Epoch Deluxe

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

My sister-in-law causes a lot of delays...she always makes us late...

Wait—that’s not what you’re asking, is it?

sorry!

3. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Maybe a bit on the big side for you, but you could try a Way Huge Supa Puss or a JHS Panther Cub.

I’ve had the older bigger box Panther Cub and loved it. Very warm, but also seemed to enhance my tone a bit. The modulation got crazy way too fast, but I never used it. Versatile, great sounding delay.

No experience with the Supa Puss but I’ve heard good things and it seems to check a lot of your boxes.

4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

This one. It has a very good tap tempo and it doesn’t rubber band if you are tapping while playing, unless you’re on mode 4.

upload_2020-5-5_14-39-14.jpeg

5. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

You already have it: the AD9

6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried several including Keeley and EHX...my favorite is still the cheap Joyo d-Seed I got for just under a hundred bucks. It has Digital, Analog, Modulated and Reverse settings and the ability to save 2 presents. I love it. It does everything from basic light slapjack, to rockabilly echo, to Edge-style cascading delay to just plain old weird spacey stuff. I can even coax a very convincing reverb out of it if I set it just right. The only complaint I really have about it is that I don't have 2 of them. It has a tap tempo function too, but I've never been able to figure out how to work it. Works great though. They have a new model out now. I'm sure you could get the 1st Gens for a song.

acVox likes this.
  7. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Boss Giga Delay Dd20

8. acVox

acVox TDPRI Member

Given that your favorite is the Ibanez AD-9, you might want to take a close look at the Maxon AD-80.
    It has the dry output you want, with BBD chips, that the reissue 9 series no longer uses AFAIK.

Your getting delay times way beyond the 330 ms factory setting with your stated 600ms indicating that the internal trim pots have been altered to max out delay times. This can compromise the sound quality, and I'd recommend you check out www.analogman.com and search an article called' Ibanez vs. Maxon AD-9 Delay Comparison'.
    Expert advise, far better than any I can offer.

Okay, bear with me here.. The Arion SAD-1 Stereo Analogue Delay.
    This cheaply made BBD Stereo delay is a pedal I couldn't live without.
    It has longer delay times than your AD-9, and my AD-80. Run at 9v you get repeats that degenerate from the first repeat, and just get funkier and more fantastic from there.
    At 12v ( below 300ma !) it behaves much the same as your Ibanez, or Maxon, but shines with its unique character at 9v. Approx 470 ms max.

My last recommendation is one I took a chance on, I'm glad I did.
    The 'TAPE CORE DELUXE' by NUX.
    Its the 'Roland Space Echo' in a pedal.. Tap tempo, three virtual heads, 7 delay combinations,stereo out, and expression pedal control over delay times.
    Max delay time of 1.5 seconds.
    But what really makes this a permanent part of my board is the warmth.

The Echo Park is okay IMHO for its analogue delay and tap tempo, but switch to tape setting and you get nothing even approaching the musical warmth of the NUX Tape Core Deluxe. It came as a big but nice surprise not least for the price.

If you can live with 80,s digital pedals, an honourable mention to the Boss AD-3 reverb/delay. Its the last of the 80,s delays I still occasionally use, and can recommend anyone check out.

9. Mikecito

Mikecito Tele-Meister

FWIW, From my personal bad experience, I would avoid the Supa Puss.
    Almost unusable mix control, very sensitive to power issues (tap tempo going rouge) and noisy pop in switching on and off.
    I'm sure all could have been fixed or modded, but I wasn't impressed with it enough to bother.

10. bluesholyman

Ive done a bit more digging and I am surprised no one has ment
    I like it a lot, but I think I want an additional option that is of similar quality. I think I am leaning towards a tape [emulation] delay that gives me a little more variation...

northernguitar likes this.
  11. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    maybe later ... ater .. ter .. er .. r .. :)

Not sure about the memory man, didn't try that Diamond effects above I know they make top notch stuff :)

Cheers

bluesholyman likes this.
  12. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Only input I have is to say that I have the standard Catalinbread Belle Epoch, and if something happened to it I would immediately buy another one.

While it does some cool things that I don't really use, what it adds to overall sound has made it my always on pedal.

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've always liked my El Capistan w/ mini fav switch. I'd get it again. I replaced mine with a Volante, and nope, not going back.

Also used:
    Boss DM-3 (perfect analog delay, i'm on my second one)
    E-H Deluxe Memory Man w/ Hazarai (digital, great for screwing around and doubles as a looper)
    Nocturne Mystery Brain (analog pass through, analog flavored digital, all kinds of good, I will never part with mine)
    Ibanez mini Analog delay (too distorted, it's gone)
    CB Echorec (analog flavored digital, extremely addicting, not a straightforward affair at all, and never should be)
    Boss ME-50/Katana/GT-1 (does what it does, jack of all trades, master of none, but their own pedals of course)
    TC Electronic Flashback (digital, meh, was good enough but the footswitch failed way too soon, returned it)

14. acVox

acVox TDPRI Member

El Tele Lobo mentioned his Joyo D-seed. Ive heard a lot of enthusiasm for Joyo pedals. So another possible line of enquiry ?

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

ok, I have a rec,.... I'll get back to you, back to you, back to you, back to you, back to you, back to you,........

yegbert and bluesholyman like this.
  16. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

T-Rex Replica. Worth the cost if you use delay a lot.

17. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Your ear has picked a pretty good one in the Belle Epoch Deluxe. Those sound really good.

bluesholyman likes this.
  18. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I love my Wampler Faux Tape delay, it has tap tempo.

Currently working on a 1776 Effects delay, with Echoplex, RE-201 and Echorec modes. Sounds really good, the multitap in Binson mode is cool, but it doesn't have a tap tempo switch, instead it has a delay time extend switch.

19. bluesholyman

I ended up with a used Empress Superdelay Vintage modified I found at a great price locally. I might eventually end up with a Belle Epoch Deluxe, but this thing does a great job and I have no complaints...

fullsizeoutput_378.jpeg

northernguitar likes this.
  20. hoohoodilly

hoohoodilly TDPRI Member

To do tap-tempo on the Joyo D-SEED you need to tap on both footswitches at the same time. It might feel a bit awkward to do it but it's worth it to try because the tap-tempo on that pedal can go up to 6000ms that way. Six whole seconds of delay. If you don't use tap then the max delay time is like 1 second right?

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.