Looking For A Compromise...

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Restless Native, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Restless Native

Restless Native TDPRI Member

Hi folks, looking for advice on a single giggable amp (pub/small clubs etc), that can be put through a desk, to PA, etc., that is sub-£1000 (preferably much cheaper if possible) that will do both the Fender sparkly clean and the Vox thing (classic clean/chimey/low gain to crunch thing). If it can also do low volume/home that would be the cherry on the cake. I can’t afford both the 65/68 DRRIs and AC15/30, so would either overlap into the other’s territory enough to say one would do? If the Fender wins, would the TM variants (Twin, DR) be adequate, or go all valve? Never owned either DRRIs or Voxes, but have skirted around them for years with modellers, pedals, trying out friends’ amps briefly, or the new PG Spark. I play mostly Strats/Teles with a little (increasingly more) Rickenbacker/Gretsch/Les Paul and Revstars. Pretty much like Americana (Steve Earle, John Prince RIP, TVZ, JT Earle, Wilco, Eagles, Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, etc) blues (Clapton, SRV, Peter Green), jangly 60s (Small Faces, Byrds, Beatles, etc), UK Mod/Ska/Northern Soul and Motown, and modern Indie/Grunge/Pop (Teenage Fanclub, Nirvana, Pear Jam, REM, Marr/Smiths etc) - as you can see a very wide range to cover... any and all advice would be gratefully received. Difficult to try anything unless a mate has it or the Mom/Pop store 2.5 hours away has it (they don’t have a website, but tend to only sell Orange, Fender, Blackstar, and Vox, but only to order - their floor stock is minimal/lower end). Long post I know, but needs must in lockdown . Cheers guys,

2. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Bassbreaker 18/30- if you don't mind the weight and size.

Peavey Classic 30, otherwise. Undervalued, in the UK market.

I'd like to try a Supro Blues King 12- and I would, if I was looking for a small amp, at the moment.

Good hunting. I realise it's a problem, at the moment. If you are happy to deal in the used market, there are a ton of amps that would meet your needs, for a fraction of your budget.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. Restless Native

Thank you so much for this! Despite my moaning a while back, I still have the Bassbreaker 15 combo, as well as the Orange CR120H & 2x12 cab that’s going nowhere. I suppose the problem for me at the moment is the BB15 is way too dark clean (even with strats, Teles and Ric and bright switch on) and covers so much of the same ground as the CR120H. Neither are bright/chimey enough. The Orange covers the “own sound” and Marshallesque sounds well enough.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

My take based on your list would be a modeler that has impulse response (IR) loading along with a FRFR speaker system. This would give you the flexibility in tones, output and volume levels at the price you're looking for. I like the Hotone products like the Binary series and the Ampero but the Line 6 Helix, Strymon Iridium and others are good too. You should be able to swing this kind of setup within your budget.

(BTW, my ultimate rig would be a Matchless Chieftain head and 2x12 cab along with a Two Notes Captor X but it's unlikely that I'll have nearly $5k to drop on an amp setup anytime soon, if ever, so I stick with the modelers and IRs. )

Restless Native likes this.
  5. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Tech21 TM60?

muchxs, Bri-Sonic and Restless Native like this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I know you are leaning towards Fender/Vox, but here are a couple of nuggets in case you run across them in the used market.

Tube-check Blackstars (I have an HT40 Club...EL34...has an "ISP" pot for setting "American" to "British" and in-between)...powerful @40 watts, Celestion Seventy 80 speaker...takes pedals well...a bit heavy at ~54lbs...sounds great.

SS-check Quilter (I have a Tone Block 201...it has five "voice?" settings approximating: Full EQ=EL84 OD; Tweed=Fender 48-60s; Jazz=reduced gain, increased headroom; Surf=Fender Blackface 6L6; Lead= Marshall)...uber powerful @200 watts (but completely playable at 1w) paired with a 300w cabinet or some combination (it can be run through lower wattage speakers if you are careful of your power settings)...takes pedals well...small/lightweight ~4lbs...sounds great.

Enjoy!

7. Restless Native

Hi, the ISF pot dials between Fendery and Marshallesque tones; are there Voxy tones in there?

8. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I bought it thinking it was "Voxy" tone, but I probably wouldn't know the difference in a taste test.

9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

You can stick a pedal in front of a Fender style amp to make it sound Voxy/Marshally, but the reverse isn't true. A Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville or a DRRI with a DLS and Liverpool in front of it covers a lot of ground.

Restless Native and naveed211 like this.
  10. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

You could play a lot of gigs, with the Orange head and a light cab. I've used the CR a lot, at the local rehearsal place and also at a couple of outdoor festival shows. A perfectly acceptable clean platform. Depends on your idea of clean, of course. A Fender clean is nothing like a Marshall clean, is it?

The fashionable choice at the moment is, of course, a Princeton Reverb. A bit pricy, even pre-owned. Single-speaker Blackstars are a lot more affordable but resale value is weak.

Some of our TDPRI members have gigged extensively with the small Vox combos (smaller than the AC15). Hopefully one or two of them will drop in on this thread, at some point.

11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

and / or FX loop.I've seen Steve Earle a bunch of times recently. More gear and more musicians onstage than Skynyrd.

Chris Masterson holds down guitar chores for Steve although it's one of those bands where anyone onstage an do anything. They're talented.

Chris uses two DRRI heads.

Blew your budget right there.

If it were me I'd use two Princeton Reverbs. You're not me so I suggest two '68 Customs. I suggest the Customs because they're close enough to PRRIs, just cheaper.

My two Princeton Reverbs would be tweaked. One would be tweaked for dirt, the other one would be tweaked for clean tones.

I'd use a couple attenuators 'cuz that's a quick way to add a line out.

But wait! We're still way over budget.

Strip it down to a '68 Custom and a Minimass. Or, what the hell, lotta guys get it done with a Blues Junior. Go with a Blues Junior and a Minmass.

Or...

Go with a (now discontinued I hear) Tech 21 Trademark 30. It's analog solid state. It's a direct box with a built- in 30 watt amp and a speaker.

12. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Meister

Have you considered the Vox Pathfinder 15R? Works nicely all by itself in a smaller room situation; has an 8-ohm external speaker output jack if you wanted to hook it up to, say, a 1x12 cab, which "revs it up" a little for medium rooms; or you can use the "line out" jack to run it straight into the P.A. for larger stuff where you might have the luxury of a "sound guy/gal" who can keep it tweaked for you. Many times, in those larger situations, the sound people would just opt to place a mic in front of my Pathfinder, and that always gave great results. It's a very simple amp to use. Normally I'd have the bass and treble knobs set at "twelve o'clock", the reverb set at just a moderate level (didn't really ever use the tremolo depth and speed knobs); and then you dial in your sound by balancing the volume knob and the gain knob. There's also a "boost" button, but I felt that dirtied things up a little too much, as I was always able to get any necessary dirt by simply increasing the gain in comparison to the volume. I understand that Pathfinders might be a little hard to find nowadays.

13. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

This for sure. A Fender amp can be more malleable with pedals. Some sort of Vox in a Box or even a Bluesbreaker style pedal will give you some chime into a Fender.

A Vox amp has such a specific characteristic in its midrange that’s hard to dial out. It won’t ever sound Fendery.

My vote would be Fender amp with pedals. Maybe a Deluxe Reverb would be a good bet.

14. Restless Native

I have the Joyo AC Tone, American Sound and British Sound pedals. I know they’re DI pedals really but I got them to put into the fx loop on the CR120H to see if I could give myself a 4-in-1 amp i.e. Orange, Vox, Fender and Marshall tones from one amp on the clean channel. In addition they are excellent drive pedals in their own right, but I use a Soulfood, D&M Drive, Biyang OD8X and Tone Wicker Big Muff for anything that ain’t clean (SD Pickup Booster cover clean boost). Unfortunately not quite played with Joyos enough yet though.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I was going to post the Joyo pedal content, and see you have them^.
    You do know you can 'go direct' with those pedals right to the PA system? Then you don't need an amp (or need to mic it) or lug it around.

16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Mesa Transatlantics do Vox (normal or top boosted) on channel one and Fender, Marshall, or Mesa (high gain) on channel two.

17. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

The Fender Twin reverb Tonemaster. Run one channel with pedals, the other for Fender clean for days. Or use the direct out. The attenuator on board will help you dial in the perfect overall volume. All in a 33 pound package. Good luck in your search.
    Greg

18. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Bug V22

19. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

@Restless Native maybe I missed something, but it sounds to me like with the gear you already have, you're already well on your way, but just missing the Vox thing. I'm going to suggest the Vox Mini Super Beetle.

First, a disclaimer: I don't own one...yet. But that's only because I don't need it; I've got 3 Vox amps now.

But I sure would like one, and I've test-driven one 4-5 times now. I've played teles, strats and LPs through it during those test drives. I've even used the Line Out feature from the rear panel of the head into a powered speaker with JBL 12s, to get a sense of what it would be like going from the Line Out into a powered speaker or PA. Worked fine.

It delivers the "Vox thing," as you put it, in spades. It has that Vox clean that has just a hint of hair to it, plenty of chime, nice crunch. Running the head into the provided 1x10" cab, it's 25 watts, but the rear panel has two 1/4" speaker outs, and when you run two 8 ohm cabs/speakers, it's 4 ohms and 50 watts.

So you could run it through your Orange 2x12, or use both cabs in tandem. Although I'm not sure of the impedance of that Orange cab, so you would want to work out the advisability and/or advantages of going out to both the Vox and Orange cabinets. There is a selector on the amp head for 4, 8 or 16 ohms.

$330 in US dollars, not sure what that would be for you in Scotland.

[​IMG]

20. Restless Native

Hi, yes I do, although I wasn’t aware at the time I bought them. I was so impressed with the AC Tone as an OD I bought the other two, then did some more research to find out what else they could do, cheers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.