Looking for a compressor pedal that goes well with OD / DIST

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Merkury, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Merkury

Merkury TDPRI Member

OK , I just got the SP Compressor. My first impression : it is absolutely Delightful . Funny thing, I like it on the Lo setting as well, didn't even bother trying the other settings because it's already doing what I wanted in the first place (pumping the signal a little bit), so why bother :)

I'm really amazed at the sound quality. Let's see if my Drive boxes like it ! :D

blille likes this.
  2. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Congrats!

Now that you chose the right Compressor (the one I recommended) we can start the dirt before or after compressor debate. Trey Anastasio and I vote after dirt. :)

3. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm gonna have to look it up... [emoji57]

Happy now??

moosie likes this.
  4. JCR_thinline

JCR_thinline TDPRI Member

Glad you like it.

5. tube.tone

tube.tone Tele-Meister

I almost feel old school saying this, but the barber Tone press superpasses anything I can think off, it an amazing pedal... see his description below, there are a ton clips online.

"In research and development, Barber studied the problems associated with classic guitar compressors and their recent clones and found that, while the clone-makers build pedals with improved components (cleaner switching, in particular) and matched transistors, a few of the major drawbacks of those “vintage” designs still exist. The most glaring drawback of popular classic compressors is that they reverse the guitar’s phase and cause a “pop” that squashes the attack at the beginning of every note

Although we now see some compression units that have attack controls, they leave a bit to be desired as they require seemingly endless trial and error tweaking , and still no true solution to gracefully removing the pop.

Parallel compression is the solution. a Barber innovation that blows away having to deal with attack, ratio and release knobs of other so-called "studio compressors." Barber developed a one-of-a-kind proprietary continuous “blend control” circuit, and combined it with a discrete “Class A” FET mixer circuit to allow you to continuously blend the natural signal of your carefully selected guitar with a “phase-corrected” classic compression circuit. The result? What guitar players have always wanted, unaltered attack and supernatural sustain and resonance"

6. Merkury

Merkury TDPRI Member

Sounds interesting. Wish I could try one.

BTW I managed to use the SP Compressor at a couple of gigs, and here are my final impressions :

1) The SP is everything but subtle, no in-betweens with this little guy. On the LO setting, the tone is almost squashed. Good on the cleans, I like that with single coils.

2) I put it BEFORE my Distortion Pedals. My BOSS SD-1 seems to like the SP. On the other hand, my BOSS DS-2 doesn't get along with the SP very well. I get lots of different Output Levels from the DS-2, depending if I hit Low or High strings.

3) With the SP always on, I'm having trouble controlling the Tails of my DD-7 delay. They now sound much louder and 'less in the background' than before. I don't like this that much, but I'm sure it's not the SP 's fault.

I think I'll try to swap the DS-2 with ANOTHER OVERDRIVE similar to the SD-1 , the DS-2 is really too compressed.

I'd still give the SP an 8/10 for its sound quality.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.