Looking for a comfortable chair/stool for practicing guitar with posture and back support

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Good points. I would like to stay under $300 US and would prefer some thing with no wheels so it doesn’t roll out from under me.

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
I use my old office chair. It does have wheels and I removed the right side armrest so I can play guitars comfortably. I don't remember what I paid for it, probably about $200 or so
chair.jpg

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The absolute key to finding the right chair is the height and the support of the thigh. You really want it to fit so that your knees are at a 90 degree angle and resting comfortable with the chair supporting you almost all the way to the knee. If the height or length is wrong, it will become uncomfortable after an hour.

Start testing out a lot of chairs and remember that you can always remove that one armrest. I ended up in love with a basic cheap conference room chair that I found at Staples years ago. It was the absolute perfect fit for me, but is non-adjustable so not for everyone.

I paid $30 bucks each and purchased 4 of them to place in other rooms of the house.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I have been using a Tama Ergorider drum seat with a backrest attached. These are height adjustable. Very stable, super comfy, and built to last. This chair is 20+ years old, gets used every day, and still looks new.

I refuse to call the thing drummers sit on a "throne," because drummers already have enough delusions of grandeur 🤪

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I use Roc n Soc drum thrones. I have two with swivels, foot rests and backs and one with a tripod stand and a round swivel seat that my son uses for his drum kit.

9F8B41FC-2431-45F3-B6DC-8E43BD87E3BD.jpeg 63442C98-126C-4996-B275-98BBD42B464E.jpeg

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Everytime I see EXACTLY what I want, it's way way way out of my price range.

This isn't what I want, but it's close..... Mine would be a rocking chair too.... only it's not showing up, what??? Okay, I've edited and saved this three times and it keeps showing nothing, the server is mangling the link, so here's a screen shot. And the link, without the front part that says amazon is this
.com/LEAGOO-Armless-Rocking-Ergonomic-Computer/dp/B09J8MVJ7L
1660183062793.png

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic

CoryB

TDPRI Member
I use a Pick-N-Glider chair. It's a bit above the price you want to spend but I've found it to be comfortable for a number of years now.
My problem with it was that it was a bit too low so I grafted some 2x4 strips (suitably sanded and stained) to the bottom and it's perfect now.

Canadiense. El

Tele-Meister
What do you guys recommend for for long practice seshes and gigs? Prefer something with a comfortable padded seat. Thanks everybody!
I'm also a drummer and have owned 2 Roc-n-Soc thrones. The current one is a bike seat type with hydrolic lift in the base, the previous one was a classic round seat with a back rest, and screw type height adjustment. Highly recommended for quality, reliability, and comfort.
For strictly guitar playing, I might even check out some others. There was one made by Tama that was like sitting in an old Cadillac or something hahaha... named something like 'the wide boy'? Your local drum shop will have lots of options.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Seat height is all important to me too. When I'm sitting with a guitar on my leg I actually like my knee at slightly under 90 degrees. Slightly up from level. I use a large pedal board plus have two adjustable power P.A.'s, a looper and pedal drum machine. When writing and playing I'm constantly tweaking this or that on the floor in front of me and this seating position keeps the guitar solidly planted on my leg. No fear of it slipping off.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
soundseat.jpg

I use the SoundSeat, handmade in South Carolina in the U.S.A. It is designed for the task. I was born into a blood line with no butt padding. Between that and light lower back problems I needed proper support. Before the SoundSeat, every session was ended by back or butt pain. Since I got the seat, pain is simply not an issue.

Each is made to order, including fitting proper height gas lifts, and there is personal phone contact with owner Breda Baker, widow of J.R. Baker, who founded the company. Your butt will thank you. SOUNDSEAT.

Bob

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Well, crap, I saw this one DID rock back and forth so I bought it. No arms, memory foam padding, cloth (every leather chair I've ever bought started flaking after a couple years), adjustable height, and it rocks. Awesome.... And it doesn't have wheels so I don't have to worry about it sliding out from under me and having the guitar loose it's support.

*****Thank you for posting this thread, now I have my dream chair!!!!!*****

1660186629665.png

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
At this point I think I have answered this question more times than it is polite to say. Feel free to look up a previous detailed explanation, but this is the chair that you want if you are between 5ft5in and about 6ft 2in and under 300lbs.

The arms tuck down and slide to the side to give ur guitar bottom room. This is a chair deigned for industrial (enterprise office) use - I spend 12+ hours a day in one. I have three in the house, aside from the Lazy Boy, that is the only thing I sit on. All ordered from Madison, they are all refurbished and very good quality.

Several members have messaged me that they were very happy with the seating position while playing.