Looking for a cheap keyboard

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by loopfinding, Sep 16, 2021.

1. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Hey all, looking for a cheap keyboard.

My qualifications are as follows:

-Able to be used standalone for piano sounds (doesn’t have to sound that great) so I don’t have to pull up the DAW
    -Able to spit out conventional midi w/ velocity
    -Weighted keys to make a real piano not feel so weird (doesn’t have to feel amazing, just not like a toy)
    -Under 300 bucks

61-88 keys not a big deal, whatever works. Just looking for something that can function standalone for working harmony things/comping out, and then later as a basic controller for punching in chords/controlling synths.

I’m into hunting for unloved used things lay-ish-people dump 100%...something from the last 30 years should fit the bill I would think. But not sure where to start hunting (Yamaha? Korg? Roland? Which models?).

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  2. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

No idea what model I have, but I bought a used Yamaha electric piano, with midi in/out/through, weighted keyboard and Peavey KBA60 combo on eBay about six years ago. I was only looking for a keyboard amp, £35 for the whole lot, including delivery. I don't play myself, though often have friends around who do, and they are all happy with it. There is plenty of older stuff out there looking for a home, I'm sure that you will find something that suits you.

loopfinding likes this.
  3. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

Look at Casio for that type of money... not a slight either, they are kinda like Danoelectrics they are cheap, but still good at what they do.

loopfinding and mkdaws32 like this.
  4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a Casio Privia, fits all of your criteria in my opinion.

loopfinding likes this.
  5. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Try posting your question on a keyboard forum and you'll get the answers you're looking for from people that actually use them.

6. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I would check out some older model used digital stage pianos. You may have to dig around to get one under $300 but they'll have the best weighted keyboard action and will come with decent piano sounds. Some examples are the Yamaha CP33, Casio Privia, Yamaha P125, Kawai MP6, etc...

For something newer, there's the Studiologic Numa Compact. It's a little above your price new, but you should be able to find one closer to $300 used. I have a Studiologic 88 key midi controller for my synth and DAW setup and it's pretty nice. I think Alesis also makes a cheap 88 key digital piano.

Good luck

loopfinding likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.