Looking for a cheap compressor.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
i have a boss comp, but i need to tweak it a bit, and i have not try to do that yet. Any ideas on a cheap compressor pedal ? Like one of those made in ding dong plastic ones ?

Mike_LA

Tele-Afflicted
I recently bought a proper Boss CE2 and one of these $40 pedals.
Sounds close enough in a band setting.
Hoping to do a demo later
https://reverb.com/item/41243256-guitar-chorus-pedal-guitar-effect-pedal-chorus-pedal

sqcel3zq2ju5icrobupa.jpg

OlRedNeckHippy

Poster Extraordinaire
The Boss CS-3 should do everything you need.
It really is one of the best "entry level" comps out there (got mine used at GC for $60, 2017).
I started with that, and it taught me how to work a compressor.
Since then I've gone Keeley Comp +, and now a Wampler Ego.
The Ego changed my guitar playing world. Worth every penny.
Next on the radar is the Origin Effects Cali76.

I can't ephisize enough how much difference a good, high quality compressor can make on your tone. It's surprising. Especially playing bar-room dancing country music.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
The Boss CS-3 should do everything you need.
It really is one of the best "entry level" comps out there (got mine used at GC for $60, 2017).
I started with that, and it taught me how to work a compressor.
Since then I've gone Keeley Comp +, and now a Wampler Ego.
The Ego changed my guitar playing world. Worth every penny.
Next on the radar is the Origin Effects Cali76.

I can't ephisize enough how much difference a good, high quality compressor can make on your tone. It's surprising. Especially playing bar-room dancing country music.
That is the one i have the CS3. I need to try it and learn how to use it before using it live though.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
How cheap do you want to go and what kind of compressor are you thinking about?

The Behringer is very cheap and essentially a copy of the Boss Compressor/Sustainer. It's not a compressor sound I like but others do.

I like optical compressors and how they work with slide playing. There are several Diamond Comp clones around. I have an Ammoon Opti Comp that I used often until I got the considerably more expensive Orange Kongpressor.

The EHX Tone Corset is also good, especially since it has a blend knob like the Keeley Comp. It is around $90 US new and, since it hasn't been featured on one or more of the YouTube shows, you might be able to find it used at a good price.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire

The Behringer is very cheap and essentially a copy of the Boss Compressor/Sustainer. It's not a compressor sound I like but others do.

I like optical compressors and how they work with slide playing. There are several Diamond Comp clones around. I have an Ammoon Opti Comp that I used often until I got the considerably more expensive Orange Kongpressor.

The EHX Tone Corset is also good, especially since it has a blend knob like the Keeley Comp. It is around $90 US new and, since it hasn't been featured on one or more of the YouTube shows, you might be able to find it used at a good price.
It would be used in a country setting, with a clean guitar sound, a delay and a bit of reverb on the amp.
About the price, if it is worth it, 90 euros is ok.
But i like the cheap 45 euros pedals better because i am a cheapskate.

FMA

Poster Extraordinaire
On our side of the pond, we can find used Dyna Comps and EHX Soul Preachers - a very underrated comp - for about 50 bucks. I have a Soul Preacher on my small board that I got used, a few years back, for $25. It sounds very good, very much like a Dyna Comp with a bit more top end preserved.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
On our side of the pond, we can find used Dyna Comps and EHX Soul Preachers - a very underrated comp - for about 50 bucks. I have a Soul Preacher on my small board that I got used, a few years back, for $25. It sounds very good, very much like a Dyna Comp with a bit more top end preserved.
The EHX Soul Preachers pedal is not so common i guess but i can't find it second hand, or they will be avaiable new in 4 months from now.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
I have never used one, but folks seem to love the Mooer Yellow Comp -- their version of a Diamond comp. It's optical and should be more transparent than the Dyna Comp types. I myself love Dyna Comps (I have a Dyna Comp Deluxe, which adds tone, blend and attack controls). DCD's are less than $100 used on Reverb, $130 new.

schenkadere

Friend of Leo's
I can't recommend the Mooer Yellow Comp enough. I've got an original dynacomp, a Strymon Compadre, and a Keeley and I think I like the Mooer better than all of them.
I agree...the Yellow comp is quite nice. It's Diamond clone. I love a good ole Dynacomp for that warm super squish, but the Mooer is more versatile and can easily be an always on pedal.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
i have a boss comp, but i need to tweak it a bit, and i have not try to do that yet. Any ideas on a cheap compressor pedal ? Like one of those made in ding dong plastic ones ?

The Behringer is very cheap and essentially a copy of the Boss Compressor/Sustainer...
Another vote for the Behringer CS100 or CS400 Compressor Sustainer or the Behringer CL9 Compressor/Limiter. The CS100/400 is supposed to be an exact clone of the Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer. And the CL9 is supposed to be an exact clone of the Ibañez CP9 Compressor/Limiter. Either one a them is only $25 bucks apiece new.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
The Joyo (Green pedal with a scorpion graphic) is a very subtle compressor. I really liked it for rock stuff.
Currently, I have a NUX Sculpture, more versatile than the Joyo and it sounds good. It has more squash than the Joyo, if you are into that.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought a TC Electronic HyperGravity Compressor. It’s multiband, which I think means it works individually with each note. It has this mode, and also a traditional mode, where it acts more like a DynaComp. Add in the toneprint feature, and it’s far more than I need. It runs quietly.