1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

looking for a chassis / kit recomendation

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by davennj, Nov 24, 2020.

1. davennj

davennj NEW MEMBER!

Hi all, first post (please be patient).

I am interested in building a an 8 inch x 1~5 watt combo amp.

i have an Ibanez combo amp (solid state w/ an 8 inch speaker), the chassis has been removed - and I am left with an empty cabinet and speaker, of probably low quality (no name).

I am considering buying / building a low wattage (1~5 watt) guitar amp chassis for this cabinet.
    Maybe a used 8 inch speaker off of c.iist / if things go well.

I have never built an amp from a kit before - but Im reasonably sure I can handle a simple build (I have a machining background, rudimentary schematic skills, I am a competent solder-er).
    but after all is said - simple is ultimately better.

The INNER dimensions for a replacement chassis in this cabinet are 11 3/4 W x 2 H x 7 3/4 deep.

Does anybody know of a decent beginner chassis that could fit into the above dimensions ???
    I can mod the cab for a smaller chassis - if required.

Im wondering if there is a chassis / kit that can get me a nice little parlor amp ???

Interested in hearing about possible options.

Thanks - Dave.

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

The main thing you'll need to know is the cutout, but with the measurements you provided I'm guessing that's more of a brown/black/silverface chassis (horizontal) than a tweed chassis (vertical).

My recommendation? Take the plunge and get the correct cabinet too :D

3. agent_zed

agent_zed TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.