Looking for a bright glassy, low output “50’s wind” Strat pickup Klein 59’?

GorgeousTones

Tele-Meister
As many of you know the plethora of different builders, models & design choices.. ie; Alnico V, III, II, coil wire gauge and type. Resistance rating etc.. I get lost thinking->
Can a 6.7ohm neck pickup with Alnico II sound as dynamic and chimey as a 5.4 ohm Alnico V??

**Ive kind of zeroed in on a few specific models which seem to be what I’m looking for..
Lollar-Vintage Blonde, Tweed
Seymour Duncan-Antiquity II surfer, SSL-5,
Klein-Epic 59’, 57’, 54’, S-5 (Mayer scooped), Epic 62’
Bare Knuckle-Mothers Milk, Pat Pend 59’ Slab board, The Sultans.
Lindy Fralin- Real 54’s

Im sure there’s tons more which fit the general type and specs.. I looked into the current Fender CS line but It’s difficult to discern between the buzz word product names Like Texas Special; One might think the Texas Special would be an ideal vintage low output pickup in the ballpark of SRV. But I’ve tried them and if they’re shooting for an SRV vibe they’re very far off the mark!

I hope you’ve an idea about what I’m looking for here.. An neck + middle pickup in the 5.4-5.8 ohm range which will bring back the brightness, glassiness, & dynamic responsiveness to pick attack lacking in the hotter coils I have currently.. Thanks!

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have no idea what the specs/ magnet material is, but I've had Fender Fat '50's in my '97 Tex- Mex ( only Strat), since 2000. Honestly, they were just what my local shop had in stock! Just love them.

Not that I don't use overdrive, but I stay on the cleaner side of things ( even with pedals) and these pickups go towards a clear, bright tone, and I use all PU positions

GorgeousTones

Tele-Meister
I just realized that I should mention that I’ve been using Lindy Fralin Blues Specials in my Teles and Strats.
I absolutely love the customer service and design philosophy. Fralin’s willingness to think outside the conventional design standards to bring about more sounds.. Like their single-coil voiced humbuckers, and P-90 voiced strat/tele
sized pickups..
I use the SP92’s in the bridge position of my strats. But I’m looking for something different to the hotter output, increased bass/midrange, and subdued highs of the Blues Special.. Thanks again!!

GorgeousTones

Tele-Meister
I have no idea what the specs/ magnet material is, but I've had Fender Fat '50's in my '97 Tex- Mex ( only Strat), since 2000.

Not that I don't use overdrive, but I stay on the cleaner side of things ( even with pedals) and these pickups go towards a clear, bright tone, and I use all PU positions

-Yes I’m very much aware of the Fender Fat 50’s. And I know a TON of people swear by them.. The one thing though is I really don’t want a vintage staggered pickup. My neck is a custom built compound radius 11-16” with a super flat profile up high which really doesn’t work well with vintage staggered pole pieces unfortunately..

Anyone have experience with the Klein product line..? They have SO MANY models!! But don’t offer anything in the descriptions or offer specs to differentiate between the different types.. Like what’s the difference between a 54’, 55’ and a 56’.. or a 62’ and 63’ ???

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
-Yes I’m very much aware of the Fender Fat 50’s. And I know a TON of people swear by them.. The one thing though is I really don’t want a vintage staggered pickup. My neck is a custom built compound radius 11-16” with a super flat profile up high which really doesn’t work well with vintage staggered pole pieces unfortunately..
Got it! Definitely staggered polepieces ( playing at home now) Good luck!
16403085417232526035019360864824.jpg

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
Good luck on your search! I know it's subjective and what works for one player (or in a specific guitar) may not do it for another.

After a lengthy search for the correct set of pickups in a fantastic old Tokai strat I found without pickups, a set of TR PV's ended the search. They were the best sounding/feeling set out of nearly 15 sets I tried in this guitar. Just pure, vintage strat tone. However, I sold the TR loaded guard in a season of brokeness and right now it's wired up with an old set of Dimarzio Class Of 55's. Still going to try a set of the vintage wound Bootstraps though!

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
Your list is fine except for the SSL-5, which is a higher output model. If you are looking for a SD pickup you would want the SSL-1, not the SSL-5.

It's hard to put our desires into words here, and we're all buried by the language inflicted upon us all by companies' marketing departments. But in general lower wind count/ohmage is brighter and less midrangey than higher and Alnico V is brighter than Alnico II. If you base your choice on those generalities you should end up with something you are reasonably happy with.

That said, I think the elephant in the room for these things is that most of us don't really know what they want/like because we haven't tried enough of the options to know for certain. If you suspect this could be true for you, I recommend buying a good quality but less expensive set with the specs you think you want so you can try it out. Bootstrap sells all kinds of strat pickups of different types at a low price. Fifty bucks for a low output (5.6k neck) A5 set. Then if you like it, great. If you don't you at least know which "direction" to go in, and if you want to buy a more expensive version you can do so with confidence that you know the specs that give you what you want.

Shnook

Tele-Meister
I’ve had the Klein 54s and they are beautiful and glassy sounding pickups.

Not your list but I recently got a fantastic set of Klein 58s and they have ended my pickup search. They measure a little under the readings on the website. Neck and middle were both 5.8 and the bridge was 6.0. Clear, glassy, full and woody would be how I hear them.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
As many of you know the plethora of different builders, models & design choices.. ie; Alnico V, III, II, coil wire gauge and type. Resistance rating etc.. I get lost thinking->
Can a 6.7ohm neck pickup with Alnico II sound as dynamic and chimey as a 5.4 ohm Alnico V??

**Ive kind of zeroed in on a few specific models which seem to be what I’m looking for..
Lollar-Vintage Blonde, Tweed
Seymour Duncan-Antiquity II surfer, SSL-5,
Klein-Epic 59’, 57’, 54’, S-5 (Mayer scooped), Epic 62’
Bare Knuckle-Mothers Milk, Pat Pend 59’ Slab board, The Sultans.
Lindy Fralin- Real 54’s

Im sure there’s tons more which fit the general type and specs.. I looked into the current Fender CS line but It’s difficult to discern between the buzz word product names Like Texas Special; One might think the Texas Special would be an ideal vintage low output pickup in the ballpark of SRV. But I’ve tried them and if they’re shooting for an SRV vibe they’re very far off the mark!

I hope you’ve an idea about what I’m looking for here.. An neck + middle pickup in the 5.4-5.8 ohm range which will bring back the brightness, glassiness, & dynamic responsiveness to pick attack lacking in the hotter coils I have currently.. Thanks!
I have never heard the Bare Knuckle models, so I can't comment on those. But all the other ones you mentioned are solid choices and you should be able to dial any of those in to get a good sound.

GorgeousTones

Tele-Meister
I’ve had the Klein 54s and they are beautiful and glassy sounding pickups.

Not your list but I recently got a fantastic set of Klein 58s and they have ended my pickup search. They measure a little under the readings on the website. Neck and middle were both 5.8 and the bridge was 6.0. Clear, glassy, full and woody would be how I hear them.
Thank you! Yah, I’ve pretty much made up my mind and plan on going with the Klein 58’s. I was already heavily leaning in that direction to begin with.. And everything I’ve read and been told suggests that the 58’s not only fit what I’m looking for but seem to be the overall favorite in the Klein lineup.

**Quick question; How would you compare the 54’s to the 58’s?? Are they drastically different in output, brightness, etc. Or would you say they are they more like different flavors of a general thing (subjectively speaking of course, but Id like to hear about any differences at least to your ears..)??

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
smooth atack, clear dynamic noiseless Bill Lawrence L45 but dual blade.
the microcoil sets, not noiseless but adjustable polepieces, and even his low Henry humbuckers can be crystal clear.