Looking for a '58 PAF Mark Knopfler LP sound

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by RocknDrTom, Jan 9, 2012.

1. RocknDrTom

RocknDrTom Tele-Holic

I have an Aria Explorer (can't tell if it's Korina or some other wood). I have never liked the sound of the pickups, and have still not found anything that sounds like what I want to hear.

I'm looking for the 1958 PAF Les Paul sound like Mark Knopfler gets from his stock '58. I realize that the woods in the body are completely different between the Explorer and the Les Paul, so it's not going to be exact.

Anyone have suggestions for pickups that nail this sound? I can't really afford anything that's over $150 a pickup.

2. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

You might try having pickups wound especially for your guitar. Wolfetone has as good a reputation as any pickup winder in the business for nailing vintage PAF tone. That said, you're never going to nail the sound, because 90% of Knopfler's tone is from his fingers, flesh on string. He also uses some of the most expensive amps and guitars in the world. Still, you might be able to get close enough for jazz. And winders like Wolfetone, WCR and Lollar, among many others, do a great job of getting you there. Good luck!

http://www.wolfetone.com/drvintage.html

3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Duncan 59's will do a nice job for you.

4. captcoolaid

captcoolaid TDPRI Member

Call Wolfe up. Love the guy and love his winds.

5. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Seth Lovers.

6. RocknDrTom

RocknDrTom Tele-Holic

Thanks for the input, guys.
    Some great selections you've come up with! After posting the original question, I received a private email from David (from DAllen pickups), and after talking with him, he has recommended the AlleyCats. I will most likely go with them.

7. dada

dada Banned Troll

Yes, Wolfetone PU's are great. I have an early set of the Dr V's in my '01 R8. He will wind them per your request. Throbaks have been the cork sniffer HB's on the Les Paul Forum for a couple of years. There are so many great PU's available it's hard to go wrong. With Knopfler as noted above, the sound is a combo of all factors. I think currently he is using Reinhardt's and Tone King amps among others. He could make a Starcaster and a Frontman 15 sound like heaven. He is so good live, that I have left his concerts depressed...:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.