Looking for a ‘66-‘68 Tele sound

plexi69

TDPRI Member
I have a paisley Partscaster I built that I am looking to replace the newer pickups in. I want a twangy Fender sound true to that era and wanted any recommendations anyone may have. I have heard the SD La Brea’s are good but would rather spend a little more to get something truer sounding. Thanks

Ian T

Tele-Afflicted
Why would spending more sound better than SD? He has been winding pickups for about 50 years, has worked with more artists than anyone. It's silly but common around here to think the Johnny Come Lately booteek winder that just bought a machine 5 years ago makes better pickups.

I don't think you could do a blind test with 100 Tele players and have any of them reliably tell you what a 66-68 Tele sounds like. But if that's the sound you want, find out how they were wound that year and look for those specs. This would be the Alnico type, the magnet diameter, the wire (Formvar or Plain Enamel) and the ohm range. That will get you in the ball park, and from there your amp choice will make a way huger impact on your tone than splitting hairs looking for the ideal pickup wind.

These forums can send you down some costly rabbit holes if you let them. It's fine if you can afford it, but the nickle and diming of trying pickups can add up and you might end up thinking you could've added some more amps to your quiver where there is just way more tonal variety to be had. YMMV.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
I use the La Breas. I think they're based on Brad Paisley's 60 telecaster when those pickups became unusable.

Incredible bridge pickup. The neck can be a bit on the bassy side depending on how you run your amplifier. But great pickup nonetheless.

plexi69

TDPRI Member
I have heard YouTube clips of the la breas but they didn’t sound as twangy as I would like. Also I don’t mind spending a bit more too support a independent winder / shop, then give it to a large corporation like SD.

nic'o'caster

Tele-Afflicted
The Pickup Wizard (from Canada) has a great sounding set called the "1965-68 CBS Style Tele". Otherwise the Pure Vintage 64 Tele set is one of the best Fender set. You can't go wrong with either.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
5.99k bridge
5.57k Neck

Alnico 5, enamel coated wire, flat poles... seems to be what Fender CS uses for a '67

That's might help you narrow it down, I don't have any suggestions because I like something a little beefier.

plexi69

TDPRI Member
Yes actually the Fender ‘64’s specs looks good. I wonder how they sound compared to the La Brea’s?

Tele295

Poster Extraordinaire
I know around 1968, Fender started using 1-meg pots in the thinlines. It sounds like the late 60’s to me

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
66-68 were the maple board era of Fenders.
Zac Child's says there there's something different about that.
Maybe just stock pickups from the era and a maple slab board.
Ask Zac.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
here's StewMac doing a '66 bridge rewind

at the end, he says it meters in the "mid-5k range, perfect for an old Tele pickup"

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Brad Paisley has Fralins in a lot of his guitars.
But @schmee nailed it. There are a lot of pickups made to the same spec. Technique is the tone.

(and pedals :))

j0Nasty5150

TDPRI Member
I have what's supposed to be a Fender OV bridge pickup 6.6 sounds awesome and twangy! I bought it used off the bay. That should get you in the ballpark... I would think.