Looking back at...2007??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jupiter, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Lately I'm getting weirded out by posts and articles on-line making fun of some graphic design for being "so 2007", or otherwise making reference to the "twenty-oughts" like that's some kinda past era. o_O WTH? That's still basically NOW! I mean, isn't it??

Hell, most of my clothes was bought before 2007...

Chip, Matt G, smartsoul72 and 6 others like this.
  2. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Saying things are "so 2007" is so 1990s.

3. Jupiter

[​IMG]

Obsessed, 57fenderstrat and DonM like this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The majority of 20 or 30 somethings were still in school or living with their parents in 2007. They make up a large percentage of the graphic design industry.
    The world has changed a lot for them since 2007.

5. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

I’m 28 so I don’t have much life experience or wisdom to say much. To me anything in the 2000s feels like now and it’s hard to relate to how much time has passed. But things are a lot different now even though they don’t seem like it. Social media, YouTube, internet, all that stuff has grown so much and so rapidly in such a condensed amount of time. It’s hard to put my finger on but already I feel like I couldn't relate to younger people in high school now because they are just different in ways..I think at some point your brain and life perspective just stay in a certain era of time for some things. Things are different but I am the same! Well except my pants size, hairline, and lust for way more expensive gear then I thought about ten years ago !! Haha

6. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Someone bought me a cup of coffee in Starbucks on Monday and paid by sticking their card in the machine and typing in their pin instead of using contactless. When I remarked on the inefficiency of that he said 'I like living in the past'

Your comment made me think of this. i don't think 6 years counts as ancient history

smartsoul72 likes this.
  8. Jupiter

hah! I pay cash still

9. Chunkocaster

I've only recently been forced to use one of the tap cards. I worked out you can stick them in the bottom of the card machine so I do that. I don't like the idea of just waving it in the air or tapping it and seeing your account drain.

Soon we will need to apply for finance to buy a cup of coffee in starbucks considering what they now charge for one.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Things have changed a lot in the past decade.
    2007 was pre iPhone (the first of the real smartphones). As someone pointed out social media has changed how we interact etc. There were no "youtube stars" in 2007. Few people were streaming much of anything so how we consume media was totally different.
    We endured the greatest financial crisis since the Great Depression in 2008.
    Indeed the country and the world are much different.

Things can change dramatically within in decade. It happened in 60s and again in the 80s.

Charlie Bernstein and nojazzhere like this.
  11. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

In terms of in-store transactions, mine mostly seem to be in convenience stores at train stations, so I use my Suica (train pass you can load with credit).

On the odd occasion I go to a normal store, I have to borrow cash from my wife. I sneakily keep the change. That’s why I can afford one pedal
    a year.

Pax/
    Dean

ukepicker and PlainAllman like this.
  12. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nah, there were all the high school kids with emo clothing, listening to metalcore sometimes.

You could go for a walk outside and start counting the guys with beards on your fingers, and never finish one hand. You'd be lucky to spot just one beard, and it probably wouldn't be bushy.

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Has math changed since 2007 as well? In old math, 2007 was TWELVE years ago....not six. ;)

radiocaster likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

An interesting thread. My life has changed very little up here on the mountaintop, but as pointed out, the smartphone has ... has everyone walking on streets, in stores and driving with their heads bowing down to their gadgets ... and not smelling or noticing the flowers of life happening all around them.

Matt G and boris bubbanov like this.
  15. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

thanks for posting that! BOY, some fun threads back then... and some great posters! eddie, pete, sarge, clc.... just a BOODLE of legends!

Joe Walsh says that his life is always complete chaos then 5 years later, it all seems like an innocent and well constructed novel...

2007 was pretty fun.. but so was 1997, 1987 and 1977... oh man... oh well... dead head stickers on cadillacs...

beach bob and johnny k like this.
  16. burntfrijoles

Cash is slowly going away. I use my phone (Apple Pay) wherever it’s accepted. It’s the safest way to pay.

17. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't know how to use contactless. I didn't even know it was a noun! (They call folks like us never-adopters.)

Six years is only ancient history when you're talking about girlfriends or boyfriends.

18. Chunkocaster

I don't like the idea of no more cash. I know it's inevitable due to maximising the tax harvest. I also don't like the idea of forced electronic transfers. I get frustrated by the lack of service when visiting the bank as it is.

radiocaster likes this.
  19. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Yug! Don't say that! I'm still waiting for it to arrive!

20. burntfrijoles

It’s inevitable because it’s cheaper and more efficient for banks and merchants. I used to be mostly a cash only person but I changed about 5 years ago. I rarely have reason to go to my bank/credit union.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.