Looking at a Martin D28 - what do I need to look at?

toomuchfun

Tele-Afflicted
D-18 has mahogany back and sides. A D-28 has rosewood. Sapelele is similar to mahogany.

They sound different but both sound like Martins. I think mahogany has a brighter sound but rosewood has great drive and projection. Play both and decide, or better yet get one of each.

Your Taylor is a fine guitar but nothing rings like a good Martin.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Mahogany vs rosewood... Adding to what I said earlier, rosewood will generally be a more complex, lush sound. More overtones. Mahogany has a stronger fundamental tone. Both are good, and both are classic Martin.

rand z

Friend of Leo's
It depends on who you ask, but I believe the type of wood matter quite a bit. Is it the difference between night and day?

No.

Just subtle differences in clarity, sustain and volume.

If your not going to play a lot of single note fill's and lead's, and mostly playing rhythm to accompany yourself while you or other's are singing, Mahogany may not be that important.

Rosewood and other tonewood's would be fine. Rosewood generally has a smoother attack and is deeper with a possibly more higher end response. Some see it as a bigger, overall, sound with slightly less string to string definition.

I believe that Sapelele is similar to Mahogany and is used as a replacement at lower cost and more availabilty because most expensive tonewood's are getting rare.

I will say that of all the high end acoustic guitar's on the market...

...you can never go wrong with a good Martin Guitar.

Mahogany or Rosewood, they can sound incredible, hold their value, have the best reputation and are the benchmark for all other's, period.

IMO.

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
Martin_D-28__2017_L____2132230_.jpg

Rufus

Friend of Leo's
I spent quite a while searching for a new lefty D-28 but finally got one last year with the newer specs. (Even the Martin factory kept NONE on hand.) Its the only quality acoustic I have ever owned. I thought about first getting a nice Taylor, but then figured I would eventually upgrade to a Martin, so I just went ahead and got the D-28, and I'm not sorry I did.
Good luck in your search.

kplamann

Tele-Afflicted
It depends on who you ask, but I believe the type of wood matter quite a bit. Is it the difference between night and day?

No.

Just subtle differences in clarity, sustain and volume.

If your not going to play a lot of single note fill's and lead's, and mostly playing rhythm to accompany yourself while you or other's are singing, Mahogany may not be that important.

Rosewood and other tonewood's would be fine. Rosewood generally has a smoother attack and is deeper with a possibly more higher end response. Some see it as a bigger, overall, sound with slightly less string to string definition.

I believe that Sapelele is similar to Mahogany and is used as a replacement at lower cost and more availabilty because most expensive tonewood's are getting rare.

I will say that of all the high end acoustic guitar's on the market...

...you can never go wrong with a good Martin Guitar.

Mahogany or Rosewood, they can sound incredible, hold their value, have the best reputation and are the benchmark for all other's, period.

IMO.

I do realise that wood is important on acoustic guitars. I was just astonished that it would matter much at the back and the sides, but the community seems to have a consensus on this.

Thanks for all the advice!

noah330

Friend of Leo's
Maybe consider coming to the USA a few days early and buying a guitar here. Why can't you bring a guitar with a cutaway?

kplamann

Tele-Afflicted
Maybe consider coming to the USA a few days early and buying a guitar here. Why can't you bring a guitar with a cutaway?

Of course I could bring my guitar with a cutaway and I'd totally own that. My understanding is just that the bluegrass crowd is conservative to a point where typically nobody shows up with a cutaway guitar (and hardly anybody shows up wit a non Martin guitar). For me this is just an occasion (and a lame excuse) to have a look at guitars which would be very complimentary to the Taylor I already own. And a reason to buy yet another guitar ...

I considered buying a guitar in the States, but having to do it before my course would put me under some pressure. Also, the place I intend to go - Davis & Elkins college in West Virginia - appears to be in the middle of nowhere and I do not know about the density of guitar shops in the Appalachian mountains.

Last edited:

telemon1

TDPRI Member
Um, the pic in the OP is not a D-28. A Martin D-28 Standard series has a black pick guard. The pic looks like a custom, or artists signature model (clarence white maybe?) look at the size of that sound hole!

“If I understand correctly, the back and sides of the D 18 are mahogany. Do those matter that much? What about the DRS 1 which is sapelele, soundboard included, which is supposed to be a wood from the mahagony family? (It's a considerably less expensive guitar.)”

Mahogany back and sides tend to give a brighter tone, Rosewood is the opposite. Sitka, Adirondack, and Engleman Spruce are the preferred top Woods, sometimes cedar. Stay away from mahogany topped guitars, they don’t Project sound very well in a flat picking environment.

As posted above, UMGF.COM is a great forum to join. Plenty of good information on everything Martin.

Hope this helps...Enjoy the hunt!

Last edited:

kplamann

Tele-Afflicted
A quick web search for the 2018 model (which this is supposed to be) comes up with pickguards of that colour. Maybe those change among model years?

NashvilleDeluxe

Tele-Afflicted
I am quite convinced that you won't find a single person in the entire province of Québec who would be "hoping that he sounds Parisian" ...

I teach French in a Quebec middle school, and only use Parisian dialect in my source material. The quality of French in Quebec has taken a nosedive since social media introduced its own flavour of "joual." This lady is hilarious:

Oh, and as the owner of an HD 28, I wholly recommend the 2018 and newer D28. The forward-shifted bracing makes for a more lively top...no need to wait 20 years for it to sound its best.

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
D-28's are nice as are most Martin guitars in general. They are the traditional brand of guitar used in bluegrass.
Get one if you want one. No one here will talk you out of it.

Bluegrass is a style of music. Play it on any guitar you already have or choose to own.
If anyone gives you the stink eye for not having a Martin, shame on them.

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
Just bought my D-28 a couple of weeks ago. I have one major problem with it. That problem is the fact that I didn't buy it 25 years ago!

I just can't hardly put it down. I've played it almost everyday since I bought it. Maybe everyday.

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
I would head over to the AGF forum and continue discussing there. Huge number of Martin aficionados over there. Also, the AGF forum sponsors have great deals for AGF forum members. For example, on the Martin Standard Series (D-18, D-28) you can get 40% off Martin list. So you can get a $3,099 D-18 for $1,859.

There are plenty of Martin Dreads that will serve you. It doesn't have to be a D-18 or D-28. Martin's 15 Series and 16 Series are both very nice, as well as the Custom D.

Good luck!

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
Ah, you went with the D-28. :D Can't go wrong there! Congrats and enjoy!

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire
That was fast! Enjoy!

More details and pics when you get a chance.

Cheers,
Geoff