1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

looking at a bassman LTD. thoughts and knowledge about these?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by thunderbyrd, Dec 3, 2018.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I won't say it's cost effective because I don't know how much it costs, but you can send your RI bassman to fuchs and he will make it breathe fire. I have a DRRi that they rebuilt and it is a great amp. it ain't cheap, tho.

2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

btw, it's all pointless now. my buddy sold his bassmans (he had two). to freaking guitar center, the shmuck.

3. nathanh

nathanh Tele-Meister

I rebuilt my LTD to a point to point. Sonically not worth it at all. A lot of the changes Fender made over the years to that circuit are implemented and it’s gorgeous. Components are just fine.

Absolutely fun to rebuild it though? So much fun. Mines noisier now than before but I’ve also toured the hell out of it so it would have happened either way.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Define ‘best’. Just read an interesting article on this the other day.

If we define best from an engineering standpoint, the old tweed amps are horrible. The old Astrons that we’re in this amp back in the 50’s are not particularly fantastic. Modern Nichicons are a better engineered, more consistent product that stand up the circuit requirements just fine. They used better resistors in the modern amps.. Carbon comps tend to be noisier. But the CC resistors react a certain way that ‘better’ resistors don’t do. Using them in certain areas of the amp can make your amp ‘better’.... if ‘better’ is more vintage correct.

Gutting and re-wiring doesn’t drastically change the tone of the amp. Changing transformers might? Changing speakers and tubes will probably do more to alter the tone.

But, honestly, the caps and resistors used in the modern Bassman reissue amps are certainly within spec and of sturdy enough construction, as well as consistent enough, to make a great amp.

When I redid mine (out of necessity and enjoyment for wiring an amp), I used Mallory 150 caps and a mix of resistors, mostly metal film. Nothing crazy or stupid expensive. When I was done the amp sounded great! Maybe slightly different, but, a very subtle difference.

When I swapped out two of the Jensen’s for Eminence 1028’s it made a bigger difference.

Transformers are a whole ‘nuther can of worms. I’d love to try some Classictones or some Mercury Magnetics. But, the stock Schumacher are still working fine and sound great. I think the difference in tone will not be worth the expense or effort.

As a few others have mentioned, Fender has done a really, really good job with these amps!

t guitar floyd likes this.
  5. nathanh

nathanh Tele-Meister

Now that I've got mine built correctly (first draft worked but was wrong) it feels like it did before I gutted it but with slightly less headroom. I think you're absolutely right above. I put two Ragin Cajuns in mine and it made it feel massive and modern but blended with the Jensens.

t guitar floyd and Axis29 like this.
  6. nathanh

nathanh Tele-Meister

Would advise a master volume however.

7. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

I have an 1991-92 one. I laquered it myself. It has served me well, but it is true that this amp is scary loud.

8. nathanh

nathanh Tele-Meister

What’s awesome is that even the quiet level is “loud.” Its thick at any volume but never hyped feeling. A very natural thick tone.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI forum mobile app

9. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

You are right nathanh, I played mine last night after having plugged my strat into a ´65 Deluxe, a ‘52 Gibson GA20, a VOX AC15 hw and a ‘58 Fender pro, all brilliant amps and the Bassman sounded more full than all of the others.

nathanh likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.