1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking at a '73. How much does a B-bender reduce the value?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by capnjim, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

It seems like you have a neck and parts of some value. A functional B bender is a pretty cool set up. So, if the guitar happens to play well and sound good, not that bad. If you don't like the bender, or it doesn't work, that makes things a bit worse.

If you just have a bad taste from the whole thing. Part it out and hope for the best.

Vintage guitar buying is tricky. Imagine if you'd paid 5K for a 1969 and some parts or finishes were not original. If you are not an expert, you can get burned in the vintage guitar game. The people here are a big help to tell you what is the real McCoy.

2. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

$1000 for an all original '73 would be a steal.
    $1000 for a near original '73 with a b-bender and a couple changed pickups is a good buy.

$1000 for what you did get is likely a fair price, providing it plays decently. You just didn't get what you had hoped for. Tough lesson learned ... I hope it all works out for you.

3. capnjim

capnjim TDPRI Member

Thanks guys...I know, its my own fault. Its not like I got burned 1000$. The guitar plays very well, its a real featherweight. I do like it and will probably keep it.
    The thing that annoys me, is I do know my stuff to a certain extent. I was totally conned by this dudes story about his dad buying it new. he even told me he called the music store and the same salesman is still there!! Its a very old well respected Montreal music store so it really seemed feasable. He even had his son with him and told me how sad he was his son did not want grandpa's guitar.
    I was totally conned. But, I did learn never ever trust anyone. At the very least, before I met with him, I should have had him send pictures of the "original pickup" and body neck cavity. Still...its a very cool guitar and I probably only paid 300-400$ too much. I strung it up without the Bender as I have no clue how to use one and its a really really nice player.

4. capnjim

capnjim TDPRI Member

Not to mention....I have been dying to try "fret leveling yer tele". I bought all the supplies a few years back, and this will be the perfect candidate.

5. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There's a reason they call them "con men". They know how to gain your CONfidence, and how to weave a CONvincing story.

Good that it plays great. Just enjoy it, and maybe someday you'll find out that bender was made by someone famous!

It IS a cool-looking Tele IMO.

6. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Remember this is likely a real '73 neck. If you have not leveled before - I recommend you find something less valuable as your first attempt. If you don't have one - buy a $25 beater and try that first.

7. JohnRG550

JohnRG550 TDPRI Member

How much did you pay for it?
    I have a 1993 52 reissue tele that i'm thinking of getting a b-bender instaled in.
    I'm not really bothering about the value after instalation, as i'm never going to sell it, but the problem is trying to get someone to fit one here in the UK.

8. JohnRG550

JohnRG550 TDPRI Member

I'd buy the body, and toss away the rest..lol
    Well, i'd sell it, if it's a genuine 73 neck, hed get most of his money back.

9. bonedust

bonedust TDPRI Member

That looks like a real 73 neck to me. It has a changed nut ( graphite) which was a popular mod and the grooves just behind it are from filing low nut slots. I have a 74 strat that had a graphite nut on it and has the same grooves. The smaller round stamp on the back of the heel is also on my neck( it also has Herb G on it). It looks like the neck screw hole have been doweled and refilled to line up with the *** body. The contour on the back of the neck is typical of that era too.

10. capnjim

capnjim TDPRI Member

Actually, the nut is Brass! I now own 5 guitars with brass nuts.....they seem drawn to me. The neck is definitley original, but re-finished so not worth too much. Perfect to practice my fret leveling.

11. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Regarding the bender:

Honestly, that bender is horrible-looking and it's nothing like what Parsons would have installed. Parson's benders are much "cleaner" looking inside and there is supposed to be a single round "puller" (that's what I refer to them as) behind the bridge and parallel to the B string. However, I don't see anything like that in the photos. The first original bender (as has been said) was made for Clarence White and that guitar's bender is made entirely of pedal steel parts (hence the extra-thick back).

Sorry about the bad deal. :(

12. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

You've established the seller is a scumbag. Let's move along.
    How does the guitar play?
    How does it sound?
    Is it a nice guitar?
    Even a parts guitar, with a 73 neck (possibly), decent pickups and a B bender is
    worth close to what you paid.
    Try it before you jump out of it. Instant response to suggestion of parts should indicate their value.
    Good luck.

13. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Agree 100%!

14. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

After early '73 until '81 Fender stamped a code on the end of the neck in black, red or green. With the 2 string trees on the headstock and 4 bolt holes it looks like a '70's Fender standard Telecaster neck. If the bender has any markings you may have made out alright, just not what you expected.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.