1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking at a '73. How much does a B-bender reduce the value?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by capnjim, Jan 13, 2014.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Yes.

[​IMG]

2. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is that stamp black or green?

Check this thread:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/vintage-...03-decoding-green-ink-neck-stamp-69-tele.html

If you do decide to keep it for yourself, heck, no need for a new body. Looks pretty cool to me. If you don't want to use the bender, disable it. Still not sure what the deal with the nut is.... Could use some fretwork as well, but make some nice lemonade out of lemons, is my motto :D

3. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to see you got burned. He's got a Rolex for sale for $75 and a tweed Champ for $150 AND he provides a telephone #. You have several options. Good luck.

4. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Hire these guys to straighten the b bender route out - then send 'em on to the seller for some more straightening out :twisted:

Attached Files:

5. capnjim

capnjim TDPRI Member

Its just so frustrating. I'm a very honest person and trust people. Plus, he was a really good actor. I just wish there was some way to get back at him.
    BTW..can anyone tell me anything about the Bender? Is it worth anything?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  6. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I think the body with the bender would be worth some money to somebody, but couldn't give you a number. But I'm with you-replacement body- I might even watch for an old '70's body and match that neck up with it.

7. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Whatever the guitar is, just the service of installing a bender is a couple a hundred bucks to begin with, so if you don't like the guitar, you'll probably be able to sell it for what you paid for it.

8. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Take the neck to someone who knows? The key to "being ripped off", or "not as good a deal as I thought" is in that neck.

IMO that looks like a real neck. Is the guitar a "player"? Is so - keep it. Like others say - if the bender works, and if that's a legit neck - this thing has value. The neck alone (along with the neck plate) can be worth close to what you paid, and that value is going up... up... up... The frets need dressing, but don't do that unless you plan on keeping the guitar. If you part it out - the fret wear helps validate the age.

If it turns out the entire guitar is a fake (ie: 3rd party neck with a period correct fender logo) I would - at the very least, report it to the police. If this is the guys practice, they will gather all information and nail him at some point - they may even know of him already...

9. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Here's views of a '73 neck code & headstock for reference.

Your code should run 13 01 then a two number week code, then finally two numbers indicating year and day (last 2 sometimes switched over)

Mine ends 38 1 3 week 38, day 1, 1973. I can't read anything in your photos but it should follow this pattern, ending either 3 * or * 3.

Attached Files:

10. capnjim

capnjim TDPRI Member

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure the neck is real. Its just been re-finished. If you look at the back-heel you can see the circle where the double eagle transferred, but if you look closely, you can see the smaller circular stamp. I have seen this on several Fender necks of the 70's. Not sure what it is or why they don't all have them. The pots date to '73 so I think the control plate is original too. maybe the pick guard as the screws look original. Who knows, maybe the seller will find a body and pickups buried in a box one of these days. he was pretty adamant that his dad bought it brand new in '73 and never changed anything.
    So nobody recognises the B-bender? I would like to know what kind it is and how old it is.
    Every one I see in pictures goes behind the furrules. This one is in front which is kind of strange.

11. fezz parka

You've got a '73 real neck, bridge, bridge pickup, and control plate. For a grand. Not bad.

The bender install is a semi hack job. Lose the body, sell it whatever. Someone will buy it.

A nice replacement body and a new neck pickup will give you that 70's Tele you wanted.

12. capnjim

capnjim TDPRI Member

The bridge and pickups are not original. I would be happy if they were. The pickups are Seymor Duncan. Which the seller claims 100% are original.

13. capnjim

capnjim TDPRI Member

14. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Sorry you got taken. I would call the police.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

If the Champ works, buy it for $150, sell it and sell the body, and you get the neck for free.
    I'd skip the Rolex though.

16. bargoedboy

bargoedboy Tele-Afflicted

Neck and tuners look fine to me, didn't Fender spray headstock cellulose and back polyester ?
    Also that Bender is awful, rip it out and throw it away. Not an original B Bender at all.
    Fill in the holes and respray back of guitar, and gig it.
    Your not the first or last to get burned.

17. 0018g

0018g Tele-Meister

The big question for me is-how does the bender work? If it's functional, there is certainly some value there, although it does look a wee bit crude-so did the one in Clarence White's guitar.

18. fezz parka

Trying to make you feel better...guess it's not working.:lol:

Here's the bottom line: Caveat Emptor. Know what you're buying. You didn't. From the pics alone I knew it was a parts guitar. The body was the dead giveaway.:cool:

You spent $1000 Canadian on a lesson. You didn't get taken, you let yourself get took.

19. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's a good question... the bender work? Looks like homemade, or a prototype, but IMO the unit and routing isn't as sloppy as the bad paint job makes it look. The cover plates seem to fit nicely as well. Someone spend a good deal of time and effort building and installing it, and If it works I'd keep it as-is. I also wonder who built it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.