1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Looking at a '73. How much does a B-bender reduce the value?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by capnjim, Jan 13, 2014.

1. capnjim

capnjim TDPRI Member

Hey there..so I am finally getting my 70's Tele. Its black and has binding, what model does that make it? Neck PUP is changed and it has a B-bender. Does this affect the value a lot?
    I'll probably sell the bender and fill the hole and paint it as best I can to match. Its quite beat up (Which I love). How much will an old B-bender be worth?
    Which models had the binding?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. piece of ash

piece of ash Friend of Leo's

If that whole thing is legit... LEAVE IT ALONE!

3. capnjim

capnjim TDPRI Member

I'm getting it off of the original owners son, he said his dad had it installed when he got the guitar in '73. He has no recollection of when the neck PUP was changed.
    Did Fender ever install them at the factory?
    If its not original, wouldn't it be worth more filled in? I wouldn't repaint the whole thing, just the fill and a bit of the surrounding area.

4. piece of ash

piece of ash Friend of Leo's

If that is not factory... then don't sweat changes... etc... ...Can't speak to the value of the bender.

5. capnjim

capnjim TDPRI Member

Oh well...I got burned. I guess thats what I get for buying a guitar from Kijiji in a parking lot.
    I got it off of a very nice older guy who swore up and down his dad bought it new, and other than the pickup change, its 100% original.
    Well..I take it apart, and its not a Fender bridge PUP, and guess what?
    Its not even a Fender body! Its got a gold stamp "Double Eagle".
    I sent the seller an e-mail, but I'm not hopefull for getting my 1000$ back.
    Crap!!

6. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

I would love to see that bender,could you pull the back cover off and get a few pics of the bender, pull arm and the b string saddle?..thanks

7. capnjim

capnjim TDPRI Member

Why bother? The whole thing was a scam. I'm sure its probably a piece of crap and won't even work properly.

8. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

It may be worth $1000 if the bender is desirable and the neck original. More pics.

9. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Double Eagle was a Japanese maker of guitar parts in the 1970's.

I don't think Fender made a bound Tele after the Custom Telecaster, with its rosewood fretboard, was dropped in 1972.

10. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

I might be interested in buying this Tele, whats your location? and.. still waiting for pics.

11. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I don't get how a B-bender would decrease the value of a Tele.
    If it works it should be pretty cool. Taking it out won't make it worth more.
    Have you tried it ?

12. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What you may have is a 70's Tele that the owner wanted a bender in, so he bought an aftermarket body to install it in. Or maybe the body was manufactured with the bender in it?

Look around, folks are interested in buying it. Get some pics up!

13. capnjim

capnjim TDPRI Member

Here are a few more pictures. I'm in Canada, and honestly, I can't see anyone being as dumb as I am and paying 1000$. There is a extra hole just under the tuners, so they may not be original, the finish on the neck looks a bit off as well.
    Anyways, it my last ever purchase like this......meeting in a parking lot and trusting someone. He was a damned good actor!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

There is not much right about this guitar - however, that neck is interesting - but with a few questions as well.

Headstock and tuners are right. Maybe someone tried different tuners along the way and finally went back to the F Tuners? Decal is right! Coloring and age look pretty good too. Circle stamp at the heel is odd.... At least to me... something is going on at the nut, and coloring between the neck and headstock seem odd - but hard to say what that is...

What is the serial number on the neck plate? I can't make it out. (if you dont' want to disclose the entire number, can you provide just the first three and confirm it is just 6 digits long?)
    Can you show a picture of the neck heel, with the date stamp?

15. capnjim

capnjim TDPRI Member

The neckplate looks OK, 506xxx. The neck tint does look a bit off. I can't take anything remotley close as my camera is a piece of crap, but there is a black
    stamp on the edge of the neck....its very faint. It wouldn't surprise me if the neck was fake too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

From 1972 to 1980 this was how the neck code worked:

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html

Example, Music Master (s/n 595121) with code 49002153

49 = model code (Musicmaster, Mustang, Bronco)
    00 = neck code (rosewood fingerboard)
    21 = week code (week 21)
    5 = year code (1975)
    3 = day of the week code (Wednesday)

Looks like the second to last number on yours is 3, which would indicate 1973. IMO the back of your HS looks like an early-mid '70s HS by the shaping. Not sure what's going with the nut though.

Here's my 1975 heel for reference:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Part the thing out. There are some original parts there. Sell the neck (It looks real to me) and body separate. That way you can recoup some dough.

18. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That may be transferred from the sticker in the neck pocket.

It's possible that the guy really believed that the thing was legitimate. We've all been stung at one time or another, at least in your case you've got some decent parts that can be sold to recoup some of your loss. It has to feel pretty bad right now, but It'll get better.

19. capnjim

capnjim TDPRI Member

I just had a pleasant conversation with him....NOT!! He says he can't do anything as I took the guitar apart. He says I don't know what I am talking about. Oh well....
    He also now has a tweed champ for sale on Kijiji for 150$. He will be getting a lot of phone calls!!!

BTW..did fender use black smaller letters for their stamps?
    I'm just going to keep the guitar as I have been wanting a Tele for ages. I'll possibly sell just the body with the B-bender and get a replacement body.

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...der-Champ-besoin-travaille-W0QQAdIdZ559123335

20. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Wow!... I'm shocked..I'm sure the seller knew what he was doing..you've got two choices Karma or the R.C.M.P...hope something works out for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.