Lookin' for some inspiration...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jamorudd, Jul 1, 2014.

1. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Ell, I picked up this board of chestnut a few weeks ago:

[​IMG]

I feel this is one of those woods that demands a certain style and body when working with it, something classic but a bit on the rugged side. However, I've built a few teles lately, and wasn't really feeling another right now, so I went with the only other body I could think of that "works" with the whole chestnut groove:

[​IMG]

Only thing is, from here, I seem to be drawing a blank on inspiration. Apart from planning a maple set neck, I can't nail anything down in my mind. Some options that have gone through my head are:

1)just making it classic lp jr duc from here on out.

2) making it an esquire Tele minus the body (I've got a near complete extra set of Tele hardware and electronics that I've accumulated along the way).

So, what would you do if this body were sitting on your workbench?

2. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I see,
    forest green with black in grains semigloss no pick guard
    1/4" round-over on front, 1/2 " on back - belly contour yes, forearm no.
    one piece maple neck, 4 +2 tuner arrangement 25.5 scale
    22 frets
    spoke wheel trod
    wraparound bridge
    H/S/S
    1v 1t 5 way switch
    maple knobs
    abalone fret markers
    black hardware
    barrel output jack

IDK lol

3. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Welp, guess I better go get started! Lol

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Mary Kay white finish.

5. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

TV Yellow but transparent, and let that grain show through. P-90's, Gibby style neck, and wrap-around bridge. Plain, simple, elegant, and a rocking machine.

6. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

What he said, but a clear finish (tru oil maybe) to really let the chestnut be the star. 1 volume and a 3 way switch in the tone control spot. That's my .02

7. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks y'all. I'm liking where this is going, how bout this question: if I go with one p90, not necessarily dog ear, I'm debating between hard tail vs wrap around, and Fender vs Gibson scale. Thoughts?

8. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

To me there is only one bridge for a DCJr, the wrap around. Tons of tone and sustain plus it is super simple, just like the guitar. Scale.....hmmmmmm....that is a good one. Honestly I don't think there is a wrong answer. Either one would be sweet. Short is traditional, but longer brings a sonic difference to the table. I guess for me personally it would probably be how many of each scale length guitars do I have. The lesser being the winner for this guitar. IMHO

9. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on what axedaddy is sayin for the wrap around... what about a longer bari - type scale? The tonal reach with the 1 pup would be insane. :cool:

10. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Thanks guys! The baritone is an intriguing idea I'd never seriously considered, but I think for my purposes, I'd prefer to do a bari acoustic some time.

Also, I've spent the last 30 mins perusing stew Mac to see if anything there sparked an idea, and one thing I'm considering is doing a slotted headstock. Classic design, but pretty unique for the fact that it would be on a solid body. That about fits the theme I'm shooting for.

Finally, these caught my eye, but I'm not sure one would look at home on this project...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/168528341/neck-position-purple-heart-p90-wooden

Thoughts?

11. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Scratch that last link I posted, I think I will break from tradition and go with the Wilde Bill Lawrence p-90ish pickups(L-609/610). I've never used his stuff, but have really been wanting to, and as far as non-GFS p90s go, it's tough to beat the price...

12. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hmmmmmm,
    I look at that body and see two nickel Dynasonics and a single bar nickel LP jr. style wrap around tail piece. Also see dark amber stain, tru oil body, mahogany 3x3 tilt back neck and ebony fingerboard. Amber speed knobs in 2v, 2t configuration. Also, black bakelite LP style guard. Just random thoughts.... :)
    Rob

13. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Hmm, I think I'm with you on 4 or 5 of those ideas... Honestly, some Gretsch-y pickups were one of my first thoughts, but it seems those are even more difficult to find affordable and of high quality than the P90s...

14. Barncaster

These were fun. Firebird guts in Filtertron housings. Hopefully axedaddy will give us a sonic rundown soon. :)

Rob

Attached Files:

15. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Them pickups look mighty fine Barncaster... Mighty fine...

16. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

If it was me I would go wrap tail, Gibson scale and one pickup. I might well be inclined to put a bit of Esquire in there and have a selector switch for different tones. And a clear finish.

EDIT: so, basically what axedaddy said, except I would still keep the tone knob as well...

17. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Hmm, yeah, I hadn't considered alternative wiring schemes to the classic LP Jr. But really like that idea. I think I will go with a wraparound bridge, but probably an adjustable one, rather than the typical wraparound. As far as pickups, I'm still pondering. I've never really connected with a humbucker guitar, but at the same time I don't own one right now, nor have I built one yet, so that might be a good route...

18. Barncaster

I'm thinking of doing some functionally equivalent DeArmond Gold Foils. They'll be probably Bakelite bobbins but the mags, wire and geometry will be all correct. I might have to send you some demos. :)
    Rob

19. jamorudd

jamorudd Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm, I'm all for new unique stuff, and that sounds great! Only thing is demos would require me to find someone with worthy guitar abilities to demo them... Sure not me! :)

20. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Ahh, so many great suggestions! I think you better do a run of LP DC's for a while.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.