Looked at PRS SE EG Strat in Pawn Shop today

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Platefire, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I don't know anything about these but I looked at one today that appeared to be in like new condition for $400 with hard case. It was a SSS pickup configuration. Just from what researching I've done so far, that appears to be a good deal. Only question I'm wondering is do they actually play, sound and live up to the PRS reputation??? or with a mahogany body and neck not be able to produce authentic(to dark) strat sound? Platefire

Pickcity likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They are very well made, good sounding guitars.
    They also stay in tune very well.
    Good price, too.

brbadg and Jakedog like this.
  3. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good find.
    The local pre-GC pro-shop guy amused me at the time by his description of the guitar, as "a thinking man's strat. . ." (no kidding) o_O

Sales tactic notwithstanding, I'd prefer it to a Silver Sky-whatever-model.

Peace - Deeve

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is it an 80's USA EG model, or a later SE series reissue?

If it's a USA jump on it NOW. If it's an SE, it's still a great guitar, but the price is about $100 high IMO.

MitchMiami and Chicago Slim like this.
  5. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Jakedog has it right.

I've played PRS guitars since 2002, owned over a dozen, and I've never seen a US model EG. The older MIK SE's were not nearly as good as the resent ones. They started getting better with the Soapbar and One models, around 2006. They improved around 2009 and continued to improve ever since. The best deals would be on a used MIK (World Musical Instrument Co.) 2015 or newer.

MitchMiami likes this.
  6. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I read this thread twice and cannot find the word dentist: do I need glasses?

awasson and nojazzhere like this.
  7. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

Dentists don't play SEs, hygienists do.

awasson, nojazzhere and BigDaddyLH like this.
  8. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Ah, ok. I presumed site rules required every prs thread to mock dentists

I also can't find the bit where someone is saying to get a Baja/someone saying 'get both'/someone saying 'an Esquire is all you need and can do every sound'

I think I stayed up too late

9. Platefire

It was the same model and features as this only a lot cleaner and was SSS instead of HSS. Platefire
    PRS SE EG.jpg

10. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Meister

I have this one (HSS) in black, which I rewired to be even more awesome. Fully expected to be replacing the pickups but they are really good. The rewire gives me a bunch of parallel and series humbucking options as well as the standard sounds. My main gigging guitar. It’s not very heavy either!

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'm surprised a pawnshop didn't see "PRS" and slap a $1000 price on it. They often think everything is made from platinum......

12. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I used one of these in my gigs for about a year and it was a great guitar. Probably the lowest end PRS ever made, and I loved it. They have a short scale (24.5") and play like butter. Great tones out of those pickups too...I was playing through a vintage Music Man, so that certainly helped, but I don't hesitate to say the SE EG is one of the best electric guitar values of all time. I'm not alone in my opinion. I was never a fan of PRS until I picked up that guitar. $400 is a steal.

13. nojazzhere

Are you sure about that scale length, Pickcity? I thought they were a 25" scale, like all other (?) PRS guitars. Not much difference but still different.

14. Platefire

Thanks! I think we have surmised it's a good deal especially with the hard case and being like new. Anyone know what the new retail price is? Country of Manufacture? Platefire

15. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

16. Platefire

Thanks for the info!

17. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

Very good guitar. Mine is a HSS, fatter neck, trem works great, and stays in tune. I think mine is a 2006.

However, my 1988 Epiphone Gibson Nouveau Spotlight is my favourite PRS clone, wannabe. image.jpg

Zepfan likes this.
  18. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

No, I am not sure. I thought it was 24.5", but I may be mistaken. PRS has produced guitars with a 24.5" scale, and I was thinking this was one of them. Apologies if I am wrong.

It is ironic that this guitar has become a discussion here. The one I played was borrowed from my sound guy, and I happened upon it by accident after I broke a string during a rehearsal. Once I played it I couldn't put it down. This was a few years ago. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and I ran into the same guy, and he still has the PRS. He is willing to sell it and gave me a very fair price. I had hoped to pick it up this past week but we haven't been able to meet up yet. I'll have it soon enough, I suppose, never to be parted from it again.

Here I am playing it a while back, at who knows where and who knows when.

l_7cf9e748487745e48c2cf4df2c246219.jpg

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. nojazzhere

According to several interviews I found by Googling "PRS 24 3/4" scale", Paul Reed Smith himself states he has only used the 25" scale on any of his guitars. He says it is somewhat of a compromise between a Gibson and a Fender, kind of a best of both worlds. I own a PRS SE One, which has the 25", and I feel little difference between it and my 1993 Telecaster, which has a 24 3/4" Warmoth conversion neck. Not trying to argue (at least, don't mean any disrespect) but just trying to be accurate. Please give any sources of different information.....THANKS!

20. Platefire

Well there sure isn't anything said bad about the SE EG and mostly all a good report. The weird thing is in the pawn shop this ax is not hanging on the rack in the window on display but in a gig bag in a rack stand of cases on the floor. I wouldn't of ever found it if I hadn't pulled each gig bag and case out of the stand and opened them up to see inside. If it was out in plain view, I'm sure it would go fast! Platefire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.