Look like a rock star!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Axegrinder77, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I got a strong feeling my panty collection is gonna double.........0x2=......damn

boneyguy and PBO Blues like this.
  2. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

I think I'll stick with my shoegazing. Fortunately, I was disqualified from applying this video the second he said "how to look like a rock star when you're playing like a rock star."

No chance of that.

Besides, I need my suspenders up these days.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    tintag27 and Axegrinder77 like this.
  3. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Yeah, I don't wear them anymore either. ;) They feel funny under my cargo shorts.

Guitharley, boneyguy and 8trackmind like this.
  4. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

My band is too tired after loading in to do any Rockstar moves. Have to save enough energy pack it all back up.

tintag27, Axegrinder77 and PBO Blues like this.
  5. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

You know that whoever really owns that Strat cringed when Mr. Kevin banged it into the mic stand.

I know that I did.

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  6. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Meister

Am i allowed to use my guitar laser to light smokes for all the hot chicks?(please don't show this to my missus...)

PBO Blues likes this.
  7. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

Dance moves and choreography are fine if you're Madonna or Michael Jackson. IMO, you need to be having enough fun playing for the audience to get caught up in it. If we're having fun, it's sounding good, and we're making eye contact and playing off of each other, it's infectious. That kind of atmosphere onstage often spontaneously makes for a physically animated performance. If we're laboring to crank out song after song, take a break, and get back on the job, no rock star moves are going to save it. Trying to look cool, or trying to make specific "moves" on purpose just seems to be a distraction.

Richie Cunningham and PBO Blues like this.
  8. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Jerry & The Atrics !

Actually, the guy in the plaid shirt looks a bit like me. Disturbing... Especially since I never wear plaid shirts.

Back in the day, I usually went with some kind of suit and a Tee.

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I need this poster!

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve never seen a bar/club band guitar player do anything of that sort. The last concert I attended was a Clapton concert and Jakob Dylan opened for him. No one acted like that. I have gone to a few blues festivals and obviously no one behaves like that.
    If I saw it, my first thought would be of a feminine hygiene unit.

Collin D Plonker and boneyguy like this.
  11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Y’all crack me up.

People here seem to endlessly and relentlessly run scales (whatever the heck that means) but recoil at the idea of planting some ideas that will help look more interesting on stage.

Maybe that’s partly why so many bar bands are not remotely compelling?

This chap seems to be a hero for many here. What a d-bag?
    https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/...ial&phrase=bruce springsteen&sort=mostpopular

12. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Tele-Meister

. . .Uh oh! You opened a can-o-worms when you mentioned Tower of Power. . .

13. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

If a bar band (or any band) needs choreographed and rehearsed posing to be interesting then there is very likely something much more fundamental lacking musically. I've seen lots of bar bands who are exciting because the energy, emotion and intention is being put into the musical performance rather than outward appearance. For me, a display of rehearsed, stilted posing will only detract from whatever musical interest may be present.

I think what most people in this thread are objecting to is the artificial nature of this guy's instruction. It's like a paint by numbers 'if you look like a rock star then you are a rock star' recipe. It's rather silly actually and is formally no different than your disdain for "running scales" which is typically lacking any authentic emotional expression. Now, if you can move on stage in a way that is natural and expresses authentically how you are feeling in the moment and combine that with some quality musical performance then you've really got something special to experience as an audience member. But the "Hey look at me I'm a rock star" posing nonsense really is not inspiring at all IMO.

richiek65 and PBO Blues like this.
  14. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Tele-Meister

I remember in a few bands when our stage performance was evaluated. . . The upshot was: "do you feel the music you're playing? Then SHOW it." Watching Steve Howe "gurn," and gyrate trying to get what he was playing out of his hands and into the guitar was an eye opener the first time I saw them live, the same for SRV.

These days, my back isn't what it used to be, and I like to have a stool handy to lean against, or even occasionally sit on, but either way, I try to remain engaged with the music so the stool doesn't really matter (BB King).

This though. . . just don't look natural. . .

boneyguy likes this.
  15. boneyguy

I know you're being humorous but let's get really real for a moment...it's generally accepted that the lack of rehearsed choreography of these bands and artists is the reason that they never achieved any level of success. There. I said it.

Paul G. likes this.
  16. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Meister

Deleted.

17. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Lol. I think some people are missing the point here.

Nobody has even remotely inferred that rock star posing can substitute quality music.

They don't have to be mutually exclusive. There are simply some basics which might improve your stage presence. Ignoring this aspect of your package of entertainment will not make the importance of it go away.

As musicians, we focus on the music, appropriately. Nice to have a little input from a trained pair of eyes, focusing on the other stuff.

It all helps. And you don't need to over do it.

I'd say 75% of bar bands would benefit from applying a couple of these tips.

Alamo and MilwMark like this.
  18. boneyguy

My sense is that most people aren't missing the point. Those that are criticizing are objecting to the cookie cutter rock star pose instruction. I don't think anyone has refuted the idea that some physical movement onstage is unwelcome but it's the artificial looking nonsense of the video that is laughable. The general notion of the video is solid...expressing yourself physically on stage is good. That's good advice. But do it in a way that fits with your personality and who you really are. And if that means being planted in one spot then IMO the audience will respond to that authenticity more than someone uncomfortably and awkwardly mimicking some video instruction on how to move like a rock star. If you don't feel like Bruce Springsteen inside then it's unlikely you're going to convincingly pull off his rock star moves onstage without looking like a poseur.

[​IMG]

Brett Valentine likes this.
  19. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Unless your bassist is Kathy Valentine or Johnette Napolitano, why would you want to look at your bass player? :confused:

20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

LOL. Rock on.

I can tell many in this thread have never played in a band. In reality, stage shape and size often dictate “moves” and posture anyway.

He’s a professional dance choreographer. Ya think he has no idea what looks natural from the house? The mousy pose all night looks very unnatural. It gives the impression the band is earnestly, barely hanging on. Maybe that’s what’s going on?

My kids do theater. There’s lots of choreography and blocking that goes on - to make the acting look more natural. And once they internalize it, the acting and the choreography become more natural.

There’s really nothing inauthentic about what he’s conveying and I’m surprised it’s so threatening.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.