Look close at Jeff Becks Yardbirds Intonation - no way? - or ok?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Don Mare, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG] better shot - these look OK to me the other photo they look too far forward and not set up also for a 54' pickup I'm not seeing Stagger Al-5s - I know its 5.86K from Seymour's Findings - I tested my own Esquire I made to be my personal JB like Esquire - using 5's and 3's - the Al-3's were acting more like the Tracks on the CDs I was using as Comparisons - so maybe the real switch to Al-5 Staggered was in '55? not '54 or maybe they crossed a few months? always fun to pin point these things.

2. richiek65

richiek65 Poster Extraordinaire

Almost looks like a pure slide setup, but he's not a big slide player as far as i know

3. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The neck also looks to be a little crooked in the pocket. More room from low E to edge of fretboard than high E, like the neck is pushed down. Send it back!

4. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

I’m pretty sure from watching Mr. Beck play guitar that he’s quite capable of making intonation adjustments on the fly just by the way he frets the strings. Besides, how often does he ever chords? Just sayin’…

jrblue, Deeve, Sconnie and 5 others like this.
  5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Like almost everyone back than Jeff used 010-038 strings.
    That's EXACTLY how a properly intonated 3 saddle bridge looks with them.
    Here's mine (almost 100% accurate on the 12th fret on all strings)
    This set "intonates" SO much better on a non compensated 3 saddle bridge than any other set widely available today.
    It also SOUNDS way more balanced.
    Sad that only a few manufacturers offer it these days.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  6. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

Yep, folks get way to hung up on chasing perfect intonation with electronic tuners. Trust your ears. It ain’t gotta be that close.

SPUDCASTER, drmordo, Rowdyman and 6 others like this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, he plays soooo out of tune.

;)

Sconnie, MickM, guitar_paul1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

What interested me about that pic was Aynsley Dunbar. Not being a drummer I only knew him from being with Journey for 4 of their early albums. Didn't know he was English, and didn't know he's played with EVERYONE according to Wikipedia.

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  9. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I agree totally. Unless you play a lot of chords above the 12th fret, :lol: any notes you play are fleeting and would have to be pushed perfectly vertically to the fret to be 'right on' anyway. A perfect intonated low E string always sounds wonky up that high to me. It's likely the amount the string stretches just fretting it.\

My Jazzbox has had a few different bridges on it in an effort to rid it of the Tune O Matic. One was a Bigsby Bowtie. I mistakenly put it on backward and it sounded fine. A forum member told me it was backwards!
    I have a Solid brass bar bridge on it now and it's great. There is no intonation adjustment to that other than sliding the bridge base.

telemnemonics and BorderRadio like this.
  11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I kinda wish Beck would go back to the Tele. The "warbling the tremelo" on the Strat thing is pretty over done to my liking....

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I've never used a 010-038 set or setup a Tele with that gauge set.

WRT Don's question, I sometimes ask members who post pics of Tele's with the saddles that close to the pickup, if they set the intonation and it's correct with saddles oddly placed like that.

WRT a 5.86k reading presumably on a 42awg coil, I've had one '69 Tele bridge pickup in an Esquier that read 6.1k and was the lowest wind Esquire I've ever gotten great tone out of.

BUT, and this is a big butt, I was running it into a Plexi 100 from 1967.
    By '68 or so, Marshall boosted the treble a LOT and the last Plexi into metal panel Marshalls were quite shrill below full volume, where the clipping eased off the harsh tone. Some speakers got brighter too but the Plexi circuit really changed, and several '69 50s and 100s I've owned were all just brutally painfully bright AND clean (with an Esquire, pretty much the only guitar I used) all the way up unless boosted. I actually never owned a '68 but that was the circuit that got a lot more power supply filtering and changed to pretty much '70s metal panel.

Conversely, at least my old Marshalls, the early 100's had a much warmer fatter tone that worked great with the often ice picky Tele bridge pickups. Just the easiest amp to play an Esquire through, a match made in heaven if there is such a thing.

I think the fact that amps got brighter by the late '60s has a lot to do with the fact that all these shopper/blogger/players of today can't seem to get good Tele tone unless their bridge pickup is wound to at least 6.8k of 42awg if not 8-9k.

Notably, Jeff got more modern guitars but kept using old four input Marshalls.
    IDK which year circuit he favors but I'm figuring there's a good chance it's an older Plexi like circuit with less cutting more creamy tones.
    Any year metal panel can be modded simply enough to the creamier early Plexi circuit.

Funny, I just measured the scale on my D'Angelico DC because I wasn't sure if it was a longer scale, and was surprised to find the 24 3/4" scale has a 25" high E and an over 25" low E. I guess that's string lengths though as all my setups seem similarly long stringed compared to double 12th fret distance. Never use rulers on guitar setups!

So seeing a Tele with saddles well forward of mounting screws is a head scratcher for sure!

drewg and GreatDaneRock like this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I play lots of triads/ three note power chords above the 12 fret and it sounds just fine, but I liberally use some fretting hand vibrato so it's not like I'm playing I suppose clinical chording where we all sit obediently listening to long sustained chords with no vibrato, marveling at how sanitized the electric guitar can be.

Is there a musical reason to hold really still and listen to a clinical chord lesson?
    IDK but I want to be moved by music, not made to sit still...

It's funny, I get impatient when assembling a new guitar or a pickup swap, so I invariably set intonation by eye and play a while before checking it with my antique strobotuner that may or may not be quartz accurate.
    If any tweaks are required they're tiny.
    My ear is pretty good in terms of tuning up or hearing when I'm out of tune, but I just don't get upset with the pitch imperfections of the wonderful thing known as the guitar.

Guitar players upset by intonation ought to play sax for a year and hear how that feels!
    OMG I have to fix half the notes during performance???
    Noooooooooo!

Too hard!!!!!!

drewg, scottser and schmee like this.
  14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Maybe. Consider the nut, neck pocket, bridge placement, etc. Those bodies weren’t cut by CNC so we can allow a tolerance for the potential for imperfections. The other thing is precise intonation is honestly more of a concern today than it was. I’m just saying if he wasn’t comfortable playing the guitar he’d do something about it. He didn’t quit over it.

And what a fuzzy fellow. Someone give that dog a hug.

Fretting out likes this.
  15. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I don’t think I’ll be telling JEFF BECK what he’s doing wrong on guitar any time soon.

Fretting out, jrblue, Sconnie and 9 others like this.
  16. Wheelhouse

Wheelhouse Tele-Meister

That's the part of the pic that grabbed me, too. My first reaction to the photo was, OMG, that's a who's who of greats from that generation! I guess Jeff has always had a thing about getting great talent around him.

17. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Friend of Leo's

You are correct.

Perfect intonation is only perfect on the 12th fret, almost every fretted note in between is off.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  18. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Teles are SUPPOSED to play out of tune...

19. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Could one actually wind a pup at less than 6k & expect anyone to buy??? No good tones to be had according to 'net lore. :rolleyes:

Chipss36 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.