Look at this vintage piece offered for sale

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Kitarkus, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Kitarkus

Kitarkus Tele-Meister

I started buying/selling gear here on CL in 2012...it was active. Something has changed here for sure. I have a really perfectly mint good/cheap name brand versatile amp listed...which I'd think would be snapped up by countless people instantaneously.....but not a single nibble and at a 'fair' price. It sure makes me think twice about my 'dealings' in/out under circumstances where I know I'll need to pay fees, shipping, and possibly even taxes on sales. CL is great when it works...but I am less tempted to 'try' gear under these circumstances.

I'll never forget buying a dead mint Am Std. Tele for $600 with original case on local CL. I asked the guy after handing over the cash "why so cheap?" He said, "well....this is what it is worth here....I want to sell it....not just list it".

Good luck to you John.

2. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I really question the long term collectibility of electric guitars and amps. I could be totally wrong, but it seems unwise to me on many levels.

First, rock going the way of jazz in the collective consciousness.
    Second, it seems each new generation cares less and less about “collecting” things.

I just don’t see there being a huge market for high-price vintage rock instruments domestically 20 years from now.

Maybe overseas. Maybe.

Jakedog and demon like this.
  3. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Wonderful guitar for sure. But a better investment than stocks? I’d do some research on that. Stock indexes are up 400% over the past 11 years and stocks average about 11-12% over the past 100 years.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    skunqesh and Kitarkus like this.
  4. Kitarkus

Kitarkus Tele-Meister

Well ok... But I can't play with my stock certificates. Now you are sounding like my wife :)

Robert H. likes this.
  5. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Young folks think a 89 SG is vintage. God bless em.

Kitarkus likes this.
  6. demon

demon Tele-Meister

Totally get the difference between buying for usage and buying for investment. But if I bought that thing for investment there is no way I would be able to stop myself pulling it out of storage and destroying its investment grade condition every week.

Jakedog, Foxguy and Kitarkus like this.
  7. Kitarkus

Kitarkus Tele-Meister

I guess I'm a young whipper-snapper at 48...but I see it a bit differently. Yes...the younger set may think that 80's gear is vintage and yadda yadda and that is a different issue. As far as real 'vintage' gear goes....the good stuff....when the old timers (now/soon/baby boomers) are finally off loading their vintage gems....the market inventory will substantially increase with all those 'never sell' guitars and amps. That should reduce the market values...at least for awhile....supply/demand.

8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Any SG does nothing for me.........Old or new.
    Besides , I think lots of old gear is uber cool , I just dont understand why anything should be worth a lot because it is old........I have very little vintage gear.......at least it wasnt bought as such , LOL

9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Thanks; good luck with your amp sale as well.

At this point in time I'm not in a rush, but I do have a short list of 3 new models I want to try out.

10. Kitarkus

Kitarkus Tele-Meister

After Friday...I wish I had more money in guitars.

Robert H. likes this.
  11. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Like some of the previous posters I bought a '61 Les Paul/SG Jr. with the OHSC for $199.00 in the 1970's.

Bassman8 and Kitarkus like this.
  12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Twenty years ago - in fact more like twenty five when I joined this board people were saying the bottom would fall out of the vintage guitar market.

Since then the world population has increased by a billion people and the penetration of the internet and logistics including instant funds exchange and transfer plus shipping makes it easy to buy and sell at a distance. I've bought and sold stuff up to whole guitars and amps to and from every continent.

While price on some items has fluctuated and items go in and out of fashion like property there's only so many fifties, sixties seventies and now 80s guitars made.

Grey porridge gear is grey porridge gear and never worth much. Then or now. But valued gear just goes up. Fenders been making 52 Reissues of one sort or another since the 80s and all of them in good condition are still worth 80% of street price of a new one. Some early ones even more.

Try buying a fancy 80s Ibanez Artist for less than a grand even in player condition. They're getting right up there. The Bob Weir and abalone inlay models are insane

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Kitarkus likes this.
  13. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

Came close to buying one of those back in the day, but it was an off white color. It sounded great, that single P90 had killer tone.

14. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Truth. Most of the people who built the vintage guitar market, and maintained it for so long, are gonna be gone soon. Many already are. They are the only ones that really care about this stuff in large numbers. Some younger folks do, but by and large? Nope.

In the next twenty years, all these old guitars and amps, and a whole lot of muscle cars, are gonna be getting a lot more affordable.

15. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

And Harleys, and golf course homes in Florida,

Jakedog likes this.
  16. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Harley is already taking a massive hit. They’re losing more market share and their revenue is going down every year.

Some would like to believe it cause they make big, heavy, unreliable junk that nobody wants, but that’s not really the case anymore. A modern Harley is as reliable as anything else on the road, and just as well equipped. More expensive? Sure, but the same can be said of most any product manufactured in America.

The truth is, the younger generations coming up just don’t care about them. To them a bike is a bike. Of the younger bike crowd I know personally (and I know a lot of them, I manage a dive biker bar) buying a new bike isn’t even on their radar. They’ll buy used, or self build. The number of kids in their 20’s riding old pan and shovel heads around here is off the charts. Almost all of them home brews.

The older guys still want new bikes, and like the big baggers. But more of them are dying off every year. Or going to living on fixed incomes. And the yuppies and hipsters don’t give a rat’s bell bottoms for HD. They’d rather ride a Triumph or something.

backporchmusic and ElJay370 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.