Look at the asking price for a matched pair of 1960 Jensen P10Q's with original cones, BEWARE!! This will make your eyes water!!!

Powdog

Tele-Holic
I bought an expensive pair of P12Ns when SICA started making the “new” Jensens. Within a year both of the heavy magnet structures broke off of the speaker basket. Upon inspection it was obvious that the manufacturing method they were using to attach the magnet was completely inadequate. Just pathetic. It’s hard to believe they didn’t all fall off. Don’t know if they’ve changed but that’s when I stopped considering them. Neal’s Speaker Service in Sacramento won’t recone them. But hey, if they sound good to you then that’s a win.

Jasonpatrick

Tele-Meister

Attachments

• 11752FB3-0EBB-4A4D-99DC-1912EECB1FA3.png
    11752FB3-0EBB-4A4D-99DC-1912EECB1FA3.png
    135.9 KB · Views: 15

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Not the same speakers at all….

Regarding those two original P10Qs, the value tied to those is related to the value of the amp/s which could be made ‘correct’ by having date matched speakers of the correct model for that amp. For instance, if one had a late 1960 5f4 Super or an early 6G4 Super that was all original and excellent condition except someone had pulled the original P10Qs out of the amp….as occurred PTP a 6G4 in one of the links that @rjtwangs gave us, then these two matched speakers could possibly date match the amp. The value would increase by as much as 100% in a serious vintage amp market.
These two speakers would not make a 5F6A Bassman or a 6G11 Concert complete since those amps require 4 speakers. Many years ago…maybe 10???…a quad of matching numbers 1960 P10Qs sold on ebay for $1200. The value of a 5F4 Super or a 6G4 Super may have risen enough to draw some inquiries on these speakers. I don’t know if someone would give $1200 for a pair, but they are worth a large part of that asking price, imho, to the right buyer. Finding the buyer that needs them is the hard part.
If one is not seriously in the vintage amp market, this asking price may be a surprise And seem exorbitant. However, if the correct speakers add a few thousand to the value, then they are worth it, imho. And yes…..the lack of correct speakers can reduce the value of an otherwise ‘all original and excellent condition’ amp by 50%….unless a buyer does not know the market. The same thing happens in any collectibles market. A 1963 Split Window Corvette that does not have matching numbers does not command nearly as much value in the market as does a correct, matching numbers 1963 split window ‘Vette.
Investing in vintage musical instruments is risky to say the least. You can't play it least you rip a cone. Remember all those 1950's strats that were selling for 250k in the early 00's? Going for $10k on eBay now.....

I'll pass.....

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Okay…the ‘ripped cones’ description made me look at the pics. Those small Tears don’t bother me at all. I have done such repairs that have held up for decades now. Even with those drawbacks, I hold that these speakers have some value for someone.
Kooky, where's the rest of the amp.
Maybe this amp got parted out after the flood that stained those speakers????

Investing in vintage musical instruments is risky to say the least. You can't play it least you rip a cone. Remember all those 1950's strats that were selling for 250k in the early 00's? Going for $10k on eBay now.....

I'll pass.....

I don’t recall any non-celebrity Strats bringing that kind of money 20 years ago. Les Paul’s??? Yes…that and more. In the first part of this century, dealers were paying retail and marking up 15% or so….and the market went up and up and….DOWN in October, 2008.
As for musical instrument investment;October, 2008 presented a very few examples of how strong certain aspects of the vintage guitar market were…and are. Pre-WWII Gibson SJ-200s and Advanced Jumbo guitars along with a few Lloyd Loar era instruments never felt that financial disaster. Pre-WWII Martin Model 45s….D, 00, 000 Guitars fared the same…no loss at all. As I understand, certain Marshall amps were the same. Those were actually good places to have some money invested.
That said, in general I agree With you, @RetiredUnit1. ANY speculative investment is risky. This is being proven by the loss in the stock market yesterday, and hence everyone’s retirement account is worth a bit less today.

monkeybanana

Tele-Afflicted
Okay…the ‘ripped cones’ description made me look at the pics. Those small Tears don’t bother me at all. I have done such repairs that have held up for decades now. Even with those drawbacks, I hold that these speakers have some value for someone.

Maybe this amp got parted out after the flood that stained those speakers????

I don’t recall any non-celebrity Strats bringing that kind of money 20 years ago. Les Paul’s??? Yes…that and more. In the first part of this century, dealers were paying retail and marking up 15% or so….and the market went up and up and….DOWN in October, 2008.
As for musical instrument investment;October, 2008 presented a very few examples of how strong certain aspects of the vintage guitar market were…and are. Pre-WWII Gibson SJ-200s and Advanced Jumbo guitars along with a few Lloyd Loar era instruments never felt that financial disaster. Pre-WWII Martin Model 45s….D, 00, 000 Guitars fared the same…no loss at all. As I understand, certain Marshall amps were the same. Those were actually good places to have some money invested.
That said, in general I agree With you, @RetiredUnit1. ANY speculative investment is risky. This is being proven by the loss in the stock market yesterday, and hence everyone’s retirement account is worth a bit less today.
That's true I bought three amps this past year for what one of them would have cost if it had been mint. I am not a collector and non are museum grade anyway so I just match them with period correct speakers. I just love old speakers.

Anyone have a '57 P12R :)

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That's true I bought three amps this past year for what one of them would have cost if it had been mint. I am not a collector and non are museum grade anyway so I just match them with period correct speakers. I just love old speakers.

Anyone have a '57 P12R :)
I have a 1955 P12R…no match there. I also have a 1960 P12R. One of them is a Weber recone…tested but never installed. The other is original but has a small repair in the cone….and no sonic problems.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Edit to save marriage:

3. "Honey, look what I got! I bought used instead of wasting money on new"
I would much rather have a matching numbers speaker or set of speakers for a vintage amp…IF I can have only one set. A good recone doesn’t bother me at all. I also have nothing against using a modern speaker in such amps. It is difficult to match date codes, ime...and preservation of function all OEM speakers is a valid concern, ime,…if one is going to put the amp to work.
How intense can some get about Old speakers? LOL….Back in the ‘90s some people were advising to spray old cones with WD-40! I never tried that.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
An old wise man once said, "You can want anything you want; the trick is getting it."

That old wise man is me, and I just made that up.

rjtwangs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Well, the speakers have sold, I wonder what they actually sold for?? Didn't take long did it!?! Did someone here on the forum buy them??

RJ

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Well, the speakers have sold, I wonder what they actually sold for?? Didn't take long did it!?! Did someone here on the forum buy them??

RJ
I would posit that the person who bought them owned a late 5F4 Super or an early 6G4 Super amp and that the speaker codes date-matched the codes in the amp…transformers, and tube chart. I would also be surprised if they paid the asking price, but who knows. IF by some long shot chance these two speakers date matched a late 1960 5F6A Bassman that was missing two date-matched speakers, the buyer may well have given the asking price. That would be a very rare happenstance., but it could happen. I once had a 1959 5E7 that I bought as a chassis. I installed it in a repro cab with new Emi ALK 1028s. It sold along with a complete 1959 5E7 and a complete 1956 5E8A. The buyer called before finalizing the deal to say the he did not need the repro cab. He had found an empty 1959 5E7 cab!!!