1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Longmire, sad it is done

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rad1, Nov 22, 2017.

1. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

About the only TV show I watch besides sports. I just wrapped up the last episode of the last season. Silly fun stuff, I will miss it. Takes me back to those days as a kid watching Gunsmoke and Have Gun will Travel with my dad.

However, the books are even better than the Netflix series. I think I just finished up the 9th book, time to track down the next two.

2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

We are almost finished too

Tele-beeb likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I really liked that series. I have four of the seasons on disc. When my Sis-in-law came out to visit this summer, she had a tablet with Netflix on it, so I watched season 5. Hopefully, they'll put 6 on disc. It kind of started meandering off into some odd sorts of plots after about the second or third season, but that was okay too. Chicago PD was terrific when it started but now we're kind of getting to the holding hands and singing Kumbaya stage. (They all do sooner of later)

Tele-beeb likes this.
  4. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Great series! I’ll be binge watching the last season this holiday weekend, myself.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks for not including any spoilers - we've just started the final season.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  6. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

I didn't know it was ended, I watched an episode or two some time ago on Netflix, and rediscovered it a couple months ago.

I had just finished season 5 a couple weeks ago, and noticed they added season 6...

I should finish it this weekend.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  7. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I was not a fan of the later plots in the Netflix series, but I just loved the characters. Read the books, much better plots, not as dark and the characters are even far more likeable. Standing Bear and Vic are even more fun and likeable and Walt is not near as tormented as in the TV show. The problem is, the books are just as addictive.

Tele-beeb, aerhed and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. AngelDeville

They made books out of the TV show?

Tele-beeb likes this.
  9. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I've been holding off, savoring the idea. I want to go slow so it doesn't end for me too quickly. I watch very little TV, don't have cable, but every once in awhile watch something on Netflix. The two that I have really enjoyed have been Blue Bloods and Longmire. I didn't even know there were Longmire books. Glad to hear it. I'm ordering some paperbacks today! Gotta love this forum!

Tele-beeb likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

I'm afraid to read one of the books, I know I won't stop until I've read them all. I sincerely hope that all the characters from the show have good lives after they move on. Even the one's who you loved to hate. I really enjoyed all of them.

Tele-beeb and Tommy Biggs like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Other way around.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  12. dogwatermike

dogwatermike Tele-Meister

We just finished the last season on Netflix..... time to watch them again! We've been getting into "books on tape". ... really downloads onto the iPod/tablet.... the people who read them are great voice actors -they make the story come alive! The Longmire books are great!

What strikes me is the beautiful scenery .... those shows filmed in New Mexico ... lots of wide open spaces!

Tele-beeb likes this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Never watched Longmire....I'll have to check it out. But I have to say, the ABSOLUTE BEST TV series I've ever seen was a Canadian series called "DiVinci's Inquest"....the most believable and realistic (and human) show ever. Anyone else????

14. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

No. Craig Johnson wrote the Longmire series, a best selling series. Writing that just holds you and won’t let go. The TV series was very true to much of the characters, but not so much to the plots. The book plots are far superior and enjoyable. Once you hit the last third of each book you can’t put it down

Google the author. He lives in a Wyoming town, population 25, and he looks a lot like the TV show Walt character.
    He lives by the Rez, and knows the Indians well and really developed that aspect in the books.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  15. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Craig Johnson plays a Strat, but don't hold it against him.

16. AngelDeville

That was sarcasm, but I'm wondering if I can find the books at a second hand bookstore, as I cannot stand those kindle things...

The film industry is very busy out here, it's fun to watch shows and be able to place the area where its filmed.

17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

For the first few seasons, it was my favorite thing on TV. They lost me as the plots seemed to get more and more strange. Love the scenery and characters, though.

The books, as often happens, are quite a lot better. And in this case the TV imagery was so well done, it adds up to a really great read. In my opinion, there's more depth to both plots and characters.

I don't mind Kindle, but often don't care to pay top dollar. I can't stand paperbacks, though, because of the smaller print, poor print/paper quality, and my neuropathic hands find the books difficult to hold.

I'll wait until a book has been out a year or two, then pick up used hardcovers on Amazon for less. Usually they sell for around a penny, plus $3.99 to ship (perversely).

I'm not sure if they currently have any Longmire books (probably), but Discover Books is another place I buy used hardcovers online. Usually cheaper than Amazon, but not quite the massive selection.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  18. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

We buy the paperback books used.

19. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Did anyone notice that the town square is the same one as Hazzard County and Stars Hollow? Yep, the Warner backlot.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  20. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Nope. It's Las Vegas, New Mexico, which also portrayed the titular town in the pilot of "Midnight, Texas." When "Midnight, Texas" went to series, the built a recreation of a downtown block outside of Albuquerque Studios in New Mexico.

(I just got done writing a series of articles about film & TV production in New Mexico.)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Martin R likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.