Longhorn basses : Hondo or Danelectro? Help resolve a difference of opinion.

vespa1

Tele-Meister
I have been using a Jerry Jones longhorn bass as my primary instrument for almost 15 years. I have played a few of the longhorn reissues. They are fine, I'm not a huge fan of the matte finish. I have played the Hondos too, though have never owned one. I think the sound of whichever you choose will be more dependent on the type of strings you use and the amp rather than the P style pickup vs the lipsticks.

Last edited:

cwsmithdsm

NEW MEMBER!
TDPRI, I come to you for advice again. TDPRI member Fuzzferatu and I need a bass for recording rock stuff (yes, we've started a husband/wife band). We've both always admired the shape of the Danelectro Longhorn body, but disagree about the Lipstick pick ups. They're reissuing the 1967 Longhorn body this spring. I think the signature pickups would make the bass too specialized and not versatile. Enter our friends at the guitar store, who have a Hondo II Longhorn from the one year (1980) in which they were made. I think it's badass. It's not much more (especially with our trade credit at the store) than the new Danelectro Longhorn. Fuzzferatu isn't sure, but I have already had them put it on layaway for us to pick up later in the week. Instead of the Lipstick pickups, the Hondo Longhorn has a single DiMarzio pickup. I think this is totally rock.

So, basically, take my side! Tell me why the Hondo II Longhorn is much more rocking, collectible and versatile than a new Danelectro Longhorn (or even a vintage one) would be. It's also so much more PRETTY! Our friends have a cream burst one!

345.jpg

Thanks for any insight you guys have about the difference between the two for recording noisy rock, even if you're not on my side of the matter.
I've played both, and I prefer and own the Hondo. I had one in the '90s and sold it .. instantly regretted it. Finally found another in 2021, and will not make the same mistake.

NTC

Tele-Afflicted
Polite observation: the previous response was 10 years ago. The OP hasn't been on the board since March 2009. Take a look at the posting dates to see if a thread is recent.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Hey there, Mrs. Fuzz. The split pickup is a better tone in my opinion than the lipstick. It’s fuller and records better with less noise. I’m obviously biased, that’s a P in my avatar. And Hondo was the hidden gem back in the day. The build quality of 80s MiJ Hondo instruments is usually very good.
Dano for cool points. Short scale might also be a weighted factor depending on your frame and hands.
My stock answer is use the one that feels best in your hands but since they are sonically different I’d record with the Hondo and prop with the Dano because it’s cool.
Have fun. Do a sound test in a mix.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
Hey there, Mrs. Fuzz. The split pickup is a better tone in my opinion than the lipstick. It’s fuller and records better with less noise. I’m obviously biased, that’s a P in my avatar. And Hondo was the hidden gem back in the day. The build quality of 80s MiJ Hondo instruments is usually very good.
Dano for cool points. Short scale might also be a weighted factor depending on your frame and hands.
My stock answer is use the one that feels best in your hands but since they are sonically different I’d record with the Hondo and prop with the Dano because it’s cool.
Have fun. Do a sound test in a mix.
Good advice, but check OP date.

Dave W

Poster Extraordinaire
Holy zombie thread, Batman!

OP made 12 posts 13 years ago. Hopefully she made her decision long ago.