Longest you’ve kept a guitar and not really used it (1937 Martin D-18 and photog tips)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Nov 7, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I don't have a picture of the back, but I just compared the rear contour to those on a recent American Standard Strat and a recent MIM Strat - what I found is that the contours on the present-day models extend about an inch farther into the upper horn than the contour on the '76 Strat does. Not something I've ever noticed about them until you pointed it out.

Fretting out likes this.
  2. Masmus

Masmus TDPRI Member

1n 1980 I purchased a 79 or 80 Gibson Explorer played it for a total of 4 to 5 hours and has been in the case ever since

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  3. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

Send it over, I’ll give it a good once over for the next 5 years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

I'll double, no...no...no...I'll triple what you paid for it!

SOLD!

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Yeah the contour started to recede around late 65 early 66 and didn’t start to get back to normal till the Dan Smith era

Sometimes there’s variation though within those years so I was curious what your 76 was like

Thanks

6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Stick a phone inside. Or, you can buy a telescoping flex snake attachment for a phone. Also, remove the end pin, and see if you can get a phone photo thru the hole.

That looks like a failed refinish attempt. But, 1937 is probably the second or third most valuable year for a D18.

I've had my 1934 000-18 for about 24 years now. I had it professionally restored, and it needed a LOT. But it has all the original parts, save the bridge and saddle, bridge plate, tuners and frets. I've recorded with it, used it a few times, but it really needs to go to someone who wants to play it more.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If I kept it, it would get the neck reset, partial refret, the lightest coat possible of something on the back and sides - and that’s it.

My luthier buddy said - that’s fine.

He literally said, in regards to me keeping it, “Besides doing as little as possible to it , which I agree with, why would YOU, who hates new guitars, wanna make this beautiful, worn, played guitar look new ?!”

He understands me...

(and “failed” is subjective)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  8. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

Have to admit...it's my Tele! Sorry
    Bought a 1976 Tele from my friend around 1982.
    It didn't really suit the high gain punk rock I played so it was my backup for 8 years.
    Only gigged it occasionally.
    Then gave up bands so it lived under the bed for 23 years.
    Got back into bands 6 years ago.
    So my Tele now has new 250K pots, brass saddles & a 4 way switch, and is ready to go.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  9. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Mike Eskimo, dumpster diving his way to a retirement plan. Just remember Detroit winters while you lie on a beach in the Bahamas, and maybe check in here now and then to rub it in.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Mike Eskimo likes this.
  10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I didn't mean to be offensive, just pointing out, that once the finish has no resemblance to the original, there is no lost value in refinishing it, as long as the refin retains its age and character. I HAD to have mine refinished, because someone attempted a failed refinish, lol. So I had them match photos of the same year, original finish guitars, matching the color, and hand rub the finish so it has the correct sheen. Its the best refinish I've ever seen. If I were to add some nicks and scratches, and maybe craze the finish (yikes!), it would be very convincing as original finish. But, I'm not a relic kinda guy.

11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I’ve got a 1999 Les Paul Custom that I bought new when I worked for Gibson. It was my main guitar for about a year. I haven’t played it once... nada... since the last time I put it down in late 2000.

I’m really thinking about getting it back out and running with it again. It’s just so heavy, and the reason I stopped playing it was because I started having back problems... and my back is 10x worse now than it was 20 years ago... so....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.