Longest you’ve kept a guitar and not really used it (1937 Martin D-18 and photog tips)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Nov 7, 2019 at 11:32 AM.

1. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    That’s pretty groovy.

PM me if you want any help getting lined up with good peeps for evaluation or restoration

ale.istotle and Mike Eskimo like this.
  2. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Hope you put light strings on it, here's one I came across on holiday once, played a lot but with heavy strings it's whole life, no truss rod so the action beyond the 3rd fret was almost unplayable, if you could fret the note it was pretty much out of tune.

upload_2019-11-7_23-6-20.png

Jerry J and Mike Eskimo like this.
  3. Scorch

Scorch TDPRI Member

Anybody remember Sd Curlee, I bought this well used around 84

Attached Files:

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Oh my ! This strat is gorgeous!

And quite unique being blonde

Did you buy it new in 76 and order it as a custom color?

DHart and Mike Eskimo like this.
  5. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

I bought an Elite Tele in 83 - never really played it but still have it

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Navarra classical acoustic that I got for Christmas when I was like 10. I took lessons for a year, the guy had me playing Mary had a Little Lamb and I never practiced, and then it went to the back of the closet. Started playing again when I was 17 and it was all electric from that point on for many, many years. I bet I had it 25 years before I finally traded it away as part of a deal for a PA, unplayed for all that time. Now I've got a couple of acoustics, and I'm sure I'd appreciate that old guitar.

7. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister

I believe Martin uses some outside shops that restore instruments for their museum.
    No affiliation - superior guitar works in fort Washington pa did up an 1837 that is in the museum and some other very early martin's. In any case if you decide to restore picking the right restorer is key. If selling as-is i'd probably want an evaluation from a knowledgeable expert.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

^^^ We know what it needs. But what “we” think it “needs” may vary widely/wildly from what others think.

My good buddy was one of Elderly’s repairman for years before he started building on his own for the last 30+ years.

It needs a neck re-set and a partial refret.

Done.

But there are many who would see it as a vehicle to get one of the dream guitars of all time , and part of their dream would involve getting it as close to new as possible.

I’ve never understood that mindset and never will .

Ultimately , the person who ponies up with the adequate funds can do what they want with it. There’s no accounting for taste though...

ale.istotle likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know if the question has been raised of going over on the Martin forum, but there isn't anything Martin those guys don't know. I hope you kept the original tuners, in most of the cases that I've read about on the Martin forum, (Actually the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum) ANYTHING you do to an old or even a new Martin will probably detract from the value. I kid you not, I knew someone who had a Martin refinished, by Martin, and they (umgf) said it cut the value by a LOT. In most cases now, Martin probably won't work on a guitar, but will refer you to one of their authorized service stations. The age of your Martin would probably make it an entirely different thing though.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  10. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I was teaching guitar in a music store through the seventies and got good deals on guitars. This one was just a regular blonde hardtail Strat that came into the shop - not a special order. Yes, I bought it new in 1976. All original Fender aside from 2 things: I installed a set of Shallers on it, in 1976. Didn't keep the original tuners, unfortunately. But the Shallers date to 1976, as well. And, I replaced the original 3-way switch with a 5-way switch. I had an Alembic Stratoblaster in it back in the day, but have since returned the guitar to stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 12:38 PM
  11. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

35 years, my very first bass. I played it in bars from about 16 to 19 or 20 years of age.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 12:56 PM
    Indy-Tele and Mike Eskimo like this.
  12. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

If the iPhone doesn’t work out, I’d consider borrowing someone’s older little point & shoot digital camera. Most have a setting for ‘wait 5 seconds’ or 10 seconds, and would fit easily through the sound hole.
    You could probably also set them to take the pics on RAW mode, to be able to get better lighting etc.

Nice score, good luck!

13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Did anyone tell you to rout out for a Floyd Rose yet in this thread?

14. milopera

milopera TDPRI Member

I recently sold a flawless early 90's CIJ Blue Flower '69 RI Fender Telecaster. I bought it around 2005 but hardly ever played it because I was afraid I would hurt it. I was glad to hear that the guy who bought it has been very happy with it and has been playing it nearly every day. I don't like for a well made instrument not to have playtime. It's like a car that never takes anyone anywhere, I just don't see the point.

15. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

This, post that guitar in the D28 Lounge on the UMGF and I guarantee you the Pros from Dover over there will help you and they are great folks.

Mike Eskimo and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I didn’t realize it was a hard tail I love them
    Dang that’s a special guitar

Schallers are probably one of the most common mods of the 70s and 80s

My dad bought a 72 tele around 1980 and the first thing he did was put schallers on not that there was anything wrong with the stock tuners the others were just “better”
    Same thing with my 79 lead 2 I bought in the early 2000s the previous owner put schallers on it

That’s certainly a keeper you have there

DHart likes this.
  17. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Do you have a picture of the back of it ?

I’d like to see the belly contour as some of them are really different from the 60s contouring and don’t go as much on to the upper horn

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Though I no longer post there I always found them very helpful and super nice.

19. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Kerry Char in Portland, Oregon could restore your old Martin expertly. He’s a true master.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  20. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

No photos, but I have a 1968 or '69 Yamaha FG140 I bought from a friend on his way to Vietnam in 1970.

He came back very screwed up, addicted to heroin. Totally lost track of him after a few stints in prison (him, not me).

The guitar is unplayable, it needs a neck reset, frets pretty rough. It has holes in it from pickups mounted and removed over the years. The case smells.

I will never get rid of it.

Recce and Mike Eskimo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.