longest song you've ever learned?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ndcaster, Nov 6, 2017.

1. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hawkwind - Space Ritual album on bass. I was obsessed with that album and Lemmy really went to town on it. Like a dumb klutz, I didn't think to use a plectrum.

2. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

"Color My World", played in a Club/Wedding band and usually had to stretch it anyway.

Stretched out many a tune. Was playing "Green, Green Grass of Home" at a ski lodge and the bar manager asked us to keep It going while they filmed a commercial - went on most of the set; just played our theme song at the end.

3. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

The longest, wordy song I actually took the time to learn (the lyrics) was Dylan's Like A Rolling Stone. Everything else, like American Pie and all those other long, wordy songs; I know the chords, but someone else has to learn the words.

4. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

There is a way to cheat here, anything by the Grateful Dead probably only has two chords and lasts 45 minutes :lol:

AAT65 and Stisch like this.
  5. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

Freebird - the live version from One More From the Road. Wikipedia says about 13 minutes. I was in a band in high school some time in 1979 or 1980 where the other guitar player was the world's biggest Skynyrd fan. He insisted on playing the whole live version note for note (of course he played the lead - I played G-Bb-C for about 9 and a half minutes straight). I asked about playing the much shorter original studio version, and he said' "oh, people won't be familiar with it."

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    brookdalebill, Flakey and AAT65 like this.
  6. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I once sat down to learn Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands and believe I had it memorized for maybe a month, or so, but it was long and no one wanted to hear it so once I learned it I pretty much stopped singing it and soon forgot it bit by bit.

ballynally2 likes this.
  7. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Classical Gas; I learned it fairly early on (haven't played it in years) it seemed to sit well for me and was pretty straight forward, in retrospect probably a simplified arrangement, but it had some challenges and was of reasonable length. I have had more trouble with several "easier"' things much farther down the line. I have done a few of the Dylan "epics" , changes are easy enough, it's remembering all the words & keeping the verses in order, that drives you around the bend.

brookdalebill likes this.
  8. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

‘Dogs’ by Pink Floyd (18 minutes I think). Played it with my first real band.
    It’s long but it’s not complicated — there’s a verse (4 chords), little harmony link part (2-3 chords?), middle section (mostly just 2 chords and another 2-3 in the turnaround). And all in one key (Dm)!
    Everything gets repeated quite a lot... but we had cues for when to switch to the next section. Sounded good!

9. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

10. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

when I was young ,I only knew a few songs. So I would play "The house of the rising sun " over and over again. Usually someone in the family would eventually scream," Shut the F up". Usually my brother. Thats probably not what you were looking for.

11. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

One of the first ‘gigs’ I ever played was with a bunch of us from 2 or 3 different local bands, including a guy who ‘knew the Free Bird solo’, so I got to do that G-Bb-C thing for lord only knows how long... on a borrowed acoustic 12-string.
    Once was enough...

warrent likes this.
  12. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

An acoustic 12 string? You win, I can't top that!

Deeve and AAT65 like this.
  13. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

"Rosalita" by Bruce Springsteen clocks in at over 7 minutes, about the same as "Light My Fire".....have covered both of those.

14. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Probably 2 around 12 minutes. The last few years it's been Wonderful Tonight with the long sax/guitar solos at the end.

Years ago it was The End (actually on my bands version of that I was playing guitar AND a keyboard alternately,)

15. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity

Hot Rod Lincoln
    John Barleycorn

16. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

I got 'i know you rider down', and if I toss 'china cat sunflower' in front I am darn near close to 30 minutes.

17. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

We used to do a version of Stairway but I never quite "learned" it and cut it down to under four minutes.
    Uhhh, never mind.

18. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Rime Of The Ancient Mariner by Ironmaiden on bass.

I have a 22 minute version of Neil Youngs Cortez the Killer on disc. Keep threatening my acoustic duo buddy that we're gonna cover it like that one day. Couldn't image him playing Em-D-Am7 for 22 minutes straight. :p

When we do play the song it usually runs to 6-7 minutes - depends on when I get bored soloing in it. Tbh, our longest current song is probably Tunnel of Love. I tend to go for over extended lead at the end.

19. teleMc

teleMc TDPRI Member

Dazed and Confused TSRTS Vinyl version. On drums. Does the violin bow thing count? 26:53. I played parts of it with a band to people but never the whole thing except in my old cave. Don't think I could ever do that explosion at the end, but I used to have fun trying. I'd still like to do the whole thing sometime. Any takers?

20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

On Bass the live version of "Round About" from the Yes Songs album. Note for note every bass part.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.