Long Tele-story and hello from over the pond

Quarter1969

TDPRI Member
Howdy Y’All!

This is going to be a way too long of a post but once in a while a man has to tell the truth about the love of his life. My love affair with Teles started in 1987 – that was the year when I bought a second-hand vinyl under a very well-known title “Born in the USA”. I was 18 then and already had played the guitar since the age of 13 (at 14 I got my first electric – something so terrible that playing it could be used as a torture to dig out confessions from terrorists). I quickly realized that the Boss is playing a butterscotch Tele and obviously wanted one immediately. Not possible so much then – taking into consideration that I was behind the iron curtain. I managed to find a pretty decent luthier’s copy and made all possible and impossible efforts to get the money to buy it. Loved it to death but, at some point, got distracted by Stratocasters and sold this Tele to buy some lame copy of a Strat. I wish I didn’t.

The political system has changed in 1989 and in 1994 I managed to pay a 4 week-long visit to the USA (Maryland). I remember sitting in a small guitar store and playing a butterscotch Tele made in 1969 – the year I was born. It cost $800 and it was about $500 more than I could afford so, with tears running down my cheeks, had to give it back to the owner. To cheer myself up, I went to some large music store and came back to my home country with a brand new black MIM top loader Fender Telecaster. I loved it. Many, many years have passed and in 2006 I was trying to board a flight from London to Warsaw, in the wee wee hours, with this very guitar in my hand when the airport lady told me I cannot take it with me to the cabin and it has to travel as a registered baggage. I got mad and shouted, “this guitar has outlived my 2 marriages (true), how on earth do you have the nerve to separate me from her!”. You should have seen their faces.

Then times got hard and I could not pay for the service my best friend did to my small company so I asked him if he would take this guitar as a form of payment as his son wanted to learn how to play. He agreed and his young man’s been playing my babe since then – I come over to see her once in a while and she’s doing good. While I lived with her in the UK, I brought it to the pretty famous luthier to mod it a bit so it got string-through, three barrel compensated bridge and new electronics – I got money at that time. So the MIM played sweet but not sweet enough for my second guitar player in an amateur band we had – he happened to collect guitars and one day brought a gorgeous butterscotch MIJ ’52 Reissue Fender Telecaster to the rehearsal and told me to play it through a Marshal stack. At the end of that day he just said: “You’re a Tele guy, deep inside. I’m a Les Paul guy. Keep this Tele – you sing together.”. Wow. This one’s been with me for about 10 years and then the times got really hard – you know the moment when pawn shop owners greet you by your first name? Right. That’s how I lost this babe.

Times are still very tough for me now and I’ve been left with a crappy acoustic for the last few years. Apparently, a few days ago someone on FB asked about the possible value of two guitars he was given to sell by someone who went to the hospital with little chances to get back on his feet again. One of these guitars was a Harley Benton TE-30, with some dirt on the neck and no strings. I managed to squeeze $40 and bought it from him. Back home I opened a pocket in the gig bag that came with the guitar and found a receipt for some luthier’s work on the other guitar. I recognized the name of the client on the receipt and immediately called the seller – he confirmed that the name (and the guitars) belongs to a guy I did exchange lots of opinions on some country music internet forums about….20 years ago. And now I have his guitar in my hands. Tricky is this word and so is my constant affection to the Teles. No matter how difficult my life turned to be and will be, I will always have a Tele beside me or at least dream of having one beside me. It feels so much better and gives you the strength to fight the circumstances with all the power it shares with you.

Gotta work a bit on her, the electronics are messed up and the frets need some redressing. I have a crappy cheap amp no pawn shop wanted to buy from me so I can’t really say how it sounds but at least it’s a Tele again in my hands. It’s probably a pre-2018 model (old HB logo on a headstock, 22 frets and an amazingly looking lacquered neck), heavy as a rock but its mine…:) :) :)

Apologies to Y’All for this long story but you are the only audience who will understand. I have to be strong day in and day out now to get back on my feet someday soon and eventually buy myself a proper Fender Tele again, so here is the only place I thought of where I can tell the story showing some emotions unknown for anyone but Tele lovers.

Good to be here. Have a great day!

16ff270983a48a31gen.jpg

2d449cc47c74b65egen.jpg

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Welcome!

I’m from Maryland what part of our lovely state did you visit?

Wonder if that little guitar store is still there

ChazFromCali

Tele-Meister
I feel ya.
I've owned 35 or 40 Strats since 1976 when I got my first one. They come they go.
But there's something about having a Tele, or as I call them a T.S.O. (Telecaster Shaped Object ;-) around. It's like your favorite pair of jeans or whatever. It just keeps you centered. I get it.
Welcome.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Howdy Y’All!

This is going to be a way too long of a post but once in a while a man has to tell the truth about the love of his life. My love affair with Teles started in 1987 – that was the year when I bought a second-hand vinyl under a very well-known title “Born in the USA”. I was 18 then and already had played the guitar since the age of 13 (at 14 I got my first electric – something so terrible that playing it could be used as a torture to dig out confessions from terrorists). I quickly realized that the Boss is playing a butterscotch Tele and obviously wanted one immediately. Not possible so much then – taking into consideration that I was behind the iron curtain. I managed to find a pretty decent luthier’s copy and made all possible and impossible efforts to get the money to buy it. Loved it to death but, at some point, got distracted by Stratocasters and sold this Tele to buy some lame copy of a Strat. I wish I didn’t.

The political system has changed in 1989 and in 1994 I managed to pay a 4 week-long visit to the USA (Maryland). I remember sitting in a small guitar store and playing a butterscotch Tele made in 1969 – the year I was born. It cost $800 and it was about $500 more than I could afford so, with tears running down my cheeks, had to give it back to the owner. To cheer myself up, I went to some large music store and came back to my home country with a brand new black MIM top loader Fender Telecaster. I loved it. Many, many years have passed and in 2006 I was trying to board a flight from London to Warsaw, in the wee wee hours, with this very guitar in my hand when the airport lady told me I cannot take it with me to the cabin and it has to travel as a registered baggage. I got mad and shouted, “this guitar has outlived my 2 marriages (true), how on earth do you have the nerve to separate me from her!”. You should have seen their faces.

Then times got hard and I could not pay for the service my best friend did to my small company so I asked him if he would take this guitar as a form of payment as his son wanted to learn how to play. He agreed and his young man’s been playing my babe since then – I come over to see her once in a while and she’s doing good. While I lived with her in the UK, I brought it to the pretty famous luthier to mod it a bit so it got string-through, three barrel compensated bridge and new electronics – I got money at that time. So the MIM played sweet but not sweet enough for my second guitar player in an amateur band we had – he happened to collect guitars and one day brought a gorgeous butterscotch MIJ ’52 Reissue Fender Telecaster to the rehearsal and told me to play it through a Marshal stack. At the end of that day he just said: “You’re a Tele guy, deep inside. I’m a Les Paul guy. Keep this Tele – you sing together.”. Wow. This one’s been with me for about 10 years and then the times got really hard – you know the moment when pawn shop owners greet you by your first name? Right. That’s how I lost this babe.

Times are still very tough for me now and I’ve been left with a crappy acoustic for the last few years. Apparently, a few days ago someone on FB asked about the possible value of two guitars he was given to sell by someone who went to the hospital with little chances to get back on his feet again. One of these guitars was a Harley Benton TE-30, with some dirt on the neck and no strings. I managed to squeeze $40 and bought it from him. Back home I opened a pocket in the gig bag that came with the guitar and found a receipt for some luthier’s work on the other guitar. I recognized the name of the client on the receipt and immediately called the seller – he confirmed that the name (and the guitars) belongs to a guy I did exchange lots of opinions on some country music internet forums about….20 years ago. And now I have his guitar in my hands. Tricky is this word and so is my constant affection to the Teles. No matter how difficult my life turned to be and will be, I will always have a Tele beside me or at least dream of having one beside me. It feels so much better and gives you the strength to fight the circumstances with all the power it shares with you.

Gotta work a bit on her, the electronics are messed up and the frets need some redressing. I have a crappy cheap amp no pawn shop wanted to buy from me so I can’t really say how it sounds but at least it’s a Tele again in my hands. It’s probably a pre-2018 model (old HB logo on a headstock, 22 frets and an amazingly looking lacquered neck), heavy as a rock but its mine…:) :) :)

Apologies to Y’All for this long story but you are the only audience who will understand. I have to be strong day in and day out now to get back on my feet someday soon and eventually buy myself a proper Fender Tele again, so here is the only place I thought of where I can tell the story showing some emotions unknown for anyone but Tele lovers.

Good to be here. Have a great day!

16ff270983a48a31gen.jpg

2d449cc47c74b65egen.jpg
Welcome to the forum!
Inspiring story!

When you do get that Fender... get a butterscotch black guard Tele so that you can go full circle on
your original inspiration.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought a second-hand vinyl under a very well-known title “Born in the USA”.

taking into consideration that I was behind the iron curtain.

Welcome! Wow man, what a story. I'm so glad those days are over, and I hope they never return. I would imagine it was pretty darn tough to get that album, back in those days, and possibly even a bit dangerous? Anyway, kudos to you man and nice guitar you've got there!

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Afflicted
Welcome and a great story. All is good. I'm from Baltimore and I hope your visit to
Maryland wasn't that negative. Wondering why you didn't pick up maybe a cheaper
Affinity Telecaster or something of the like?

Quarter1969

TDPRI Member
Thank you so much for a warm welcome - I didn't expect it but deep in my heart I hoped for it :D I appreciate all the support you kindly expressed - it is something pretty hard to come by these days so I cherish it whenever I have the opportunity to be blessed with it. The situation here is quite fragile, as the war is just around the corner in Ukraine and odds are that Putin is willing to pay a visit to Poland as well - we never liked each other too much, ya know....So the economy is at difficult stage now, inflation hit 16% and I'm in the online marketing industry now - business owners put the spendings on hold to wait and see what's going to happen next. What a mess....

But it is what it is - let's not worry about the things we can't change, right? I'm working on my offer of webmastering, copywriting and career coaching for other regions of the world less affected by this turmoil so hopefully the Sunny Day will come again :)
Welcome!

I’m from Maryland what part of our lovely state did you visit?

Wonder if that little guitar store is still there
Welcome and a great story. All is good. I'm from Baltimore and I hope your visit to
Maryland wasn't that negative. Wondering why you didn't pick up maybe a cheaper
Affinity Telecaster or something of the like?
Wow, great to meet you! I loved my time spent in the great State of Maryland! That was a study tour (I was a young urban sociologist at that time) so I was hosted by City Councils of Balto and Annnapolis - great people, lovely areas, Fells Point was remarkable, Annapolis as well. I even had a chance to sail on Chesapeake Bay :). Visited Caroll County, too. I managed to get even mentioned in Baltimore Sun and some local newspaper :) Still got these papers' copies somewhere...

The small guitar shop I mentioned was somewhere in the Baltimore-Annapolis area. This was a nice experience. The owner was an older guy and watched me playing a real vintage Fender Tele for the first time in my life and enjoying a heck out of it. He understood I couldn't afford it but didn't mind me spending some time with this piece of beauty. As he spotted my accent, he asked where I came from. Once we left the shop, he run out of it and called us to wait a minute. He then came to me with a small pin that read: "Country Music Association of Poland"!!! An gave it to me. How on earth.....?:) Such a nice memory!

Actually, all I could afford to spend on the guitar at that time was circa $300 and that got me a brand new Mexican Fender Telecaster with a top loading bridge which I bought in some music megastore located in this area as well and brought home to Poland.
Welcome to the forum!
Inspiring story!

When you do get that Fender... get a butterscotch black guard Tele so that you can go full circle on
your original inspiration.
That is exactly what I'm planning to do - my favorite color scheme, hands down. As I have rather small hands and prefer thin necks, the Classic Vibe Squier might be the one to get. Or a Custom Shop if the financial situation changes significantly in my favor :D :D :D For now, I'm gonna enjoy my TE-30. Any Tele is better than no Tele.

I'll have some wiring questions cos I've found the original bridge and guts from my Mexican Telecaster and am thinking to use it in the Harley Benton (the switch and pots) but I'll ask them in a relevant section. Once again - thanks for the welcome, this is definitely a place to be :D

jhundt

Doctor of Teleocity
You told that story so well. I am left wondering about all the hardship and pain between the guitars. You have certainly lived a full life. And we are happy to have you here among us. You are a Tele player - heart and soul! You are one of us.

Mad Kiwi

Friend of Leo's
Sorry to hear of your troubles on your journey through life. It was nice to hear the story and so well told anyway :)

Play the crap out of the HB Tele and enjoy it. It i might not be the most expensive Tele around but I bet it sounds pretty much like it should anyway.

I have a Rosewood Harley Benton Tele that I really enjoy, despite owning some more expensive instruments.