Long story to a happy day (today)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Rasher, May 24, 2020.

1. Rasher

Rasher Tele-Meister

In May 2011 I found myself in a guitar shop in another county prepared to buy myself a Custom Shop Strat.

I had begun looking in order to find ‘the one’ that had that ‘Little Wing’ tone, springy, bright, cutting yet delicate, glassy yet warm. I knew the sound I was after and when I phoned around the usual stores within a 100 mile radius, I came to Guitar Village in Farmham, Surrey, UK.

I took my daughter for the drive on a Saturday morning to try several CS Strats that the guys at the store thought would interest me, including two near visually identical ‘60 Heavy Relic Strats that eventually became my final shootout. The one that got me was an ex-demo dated May 2009 that the store had also discounted to below everything else. I just loved it and it had everything I was looking for, and the tone just had that extra magic. It plays beautifully and it sounds amazing, and I cherish it along with my CS 2005 Nocaster Relic.

The pickup set says Bridge; Texas Special, Md; RWRP Fat50, Neck CS69

Over the past month I have been looking at the capacitor of my Nocaster and bought eventually a replica wax and paper that fits the vibe, and because postage cost from the USA outweighed the cost of the capacitor, it made sense to get a period correct capacitor for my Strat too. With me so far?

I have never been inside the Strat before and although I had a new nut after a breakage, it has never otherwise been repaired, only professionally serviced, but now I have the soldering iron in hand to install the capacitor and after nine years I get to see inside.

Abby Ybarra pickups, dated August ’08, November ’08 and April ’09. I can’t believe my luck and I wonder why Guitar Village didn’t know. Why is this fact not listed on the spec sheet from the Custom Shop? (I have the advert still).

I’m over the moon, and to think I paid just £2,150 for this brilliant guitar.

Do guitars just get Abby pickups in them from the Custom Shop without fanfare? It is a team built guitar, not a Masterbuilt.

Today is a good day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  2. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

Nice!

Congrats!!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I really dig your guitar. It sounds like it has magic. My FCS Strat is a '69 that was on the Fender Custom Shop Road Show last year. It has magic. I can't explain it. I've never lifted the pick guard. I assume that from the road show what's in it is what's on the spec sheet. I NEVER would have ordered one like it. I would never have ordered heavy relic. I'd never have ordered low wind pickups. I'd never have ordered a reverse angle bridge pickup. And I'm not convinced that another one with the same exact spec would sound exactly the same. I don't know where the magic is or where it comes from. There's nothing on the spec sheet that points to it. It's just there. I'm so happy for you that you found a guitar with that rare and exceptional magic. Good for you.

Rasher likes this.
  4. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Wow :cool: ... Congratulations !

5. Rasher

Rasher Tele-Meister

Thanks JL_LI, I think we are on the same page here. I came to trust the magic a long time ago and have pretty much given up thinking that I know what I need and have traded that for allowing myself to be led. I've had my hands off the wheel for a long while now. I think others may just describe it as being open-minded, but it's more magical than that because it is not chaotic. It's synergy, harmony and balance, and somehow it is not purely mechanical, or explainable.

JL_LI likes this.
  6. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

Ive had two Strats with the signed "Abby" pickups (still got one) and they are indeed superb. No wonder you see them change hands for serious money.

Great that you are so pleased with your Strat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.