Long hair and you.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, May 18, 2015.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Guys of a certain age might remember how hair length of boys was a big deal, depending on the year, geographical region, or institutional influence. Younger guys may not have a full appreciation for the battles that went on because of it.

I was a good church-going kid, so good that I was appointed a deacon at age 16, with the same rights and responsibilities as any other deacon. Nonetheless, walking out of church one day, a member said to me, "I almost didn't recognize you with your hair so long." I had two friends who were exceedingly responsible and hard working, who my dad called Philicia (Philip) and Scottricia (Scott). He liked both of them a lot, even spending several weeks helping one re-build an MG in our garage.

The wife of the owner of a music store where I started teaching at 17 started calling me Laricia. I asked her why she did that. She made the mistake of saying it was because she was the boss-lady. Of course, for the next day or two, I was all boss-lady this and boss-lady that, before she wisely capitulated. Prior to that, I had a job in a potato processing plant. One day the supervisor told us we had better have our hair cut by Monday, or we'll get loaded into the bus and driven to the barber shop.

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I wore my hair long as a kid. It's gone back and forth as an adult. I do what I feel like. Got my first Mohawk at 34. I've done it a couple times since. Cause I like it sometimes.

Right now I haven't had a haircut since September. It was really short and neat then. Now it's not. When will I get another one? Who knows.

Haircut money = a half tank of gas, or a couple days worth of beer, or any number of other things more important to me than a haircut. Plus, my boss doesn't care how I wear my hair.

3. Feargal

Feargal Tele-Holic

Two or three years ago there war a story in the news about a school principal suspending some kids because their hair was too short. The school had a uniform code which didn't allow shaved heads. I found it ironic the in photos the principal had hair long enough that it would have gotten him in trouble back in the day. Just more bull where one human wants to rule another.

4. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

It would be nice to have enough hair to actually have a choice...***sigh**.....

5. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

For the last 20 years, or so, I've been going between a couple of styles: buzz cut, mainly for government temp jobs abroad, and ponytail. Getting from short to long is always a bit of a pain.

6. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

As a kid from out of high school I didn't cut my hair for 2 years until I made the move to Utah. I needed a job turning wrenches and most all of the shops I applied and interviewed at wouldn't hire me. Cut my hair and got hired by a Caterpiller truck shop that afternoon. I'd been there before and told no. I asked why and was told they were thinking of safety and my willingness for the job. I stayed there 2 years until I finished school and got married. It grew back and it's been off and on since. Not currently follicly challenged.

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Barber? what's that.....:lol:

my beard turned grey years ago... my hair is much the same as it's always been.... a bit less sun frazzled these days, though...

I've never liked short haircuts.... once a decade I'll lop mine off and let it go again.... I've already got a few long cut off braids here,,,

one day I'll donate my giant rats tails to a wig maker who does them for cancer patients...:cool:

Attached Files:

8. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Looking good there Trevicia. ;)

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I had long hair in my twenties and early thirties, but when it started getting thin on top, I went buzz-cut rather than do the Brian Eno thing. 'Course, even Brian Eno doesn't do the Brian Eno thing anymore....

10. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm thinning on top and my forehead hairline keeps retreating as the years go by. For that reason alone, I keep mine pretty short, just looks better.

11. Elkhorn

Elkhorn Tele-Meister

In my late teens I did the whole hippie thing, long hair, massive beard. Since around 25 years I shave my head once a week and only keep a small goatee.

A while ago I found an old picture of me at 18. My 13-year old daughter saw it and didn't believe that it was me. 'No way! That guy's got HAIR!' :lol:

Edit: She also said: 'That guy is THIN!'

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I am turning 59 this year, I have just retired from many years 35 to be exact in the same industry, for the past 10 years I have grown my hair very long I have a very thick head of hair and then shaved my hair off and donated my hair to the Cancer Society to make wigs for cancer victims, I still have my mousy brown hair with zero grey in it and have never dyed it, my beard and mustache however are grey. some how I feel it is something I can do that doesn't cost a dime but makes a difference to some one in need, My daughter even donated a 22" pony tail.

13. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My hair is longer than ever, on the inside. :cool:

Back in the day that Larry is talking about, while I was in college, my grandpa used to offer me $100 to go get my hair cut. Said I looked like a girl.

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I have friends who are/were hairdressers, had salons and all the gear...they were always cropping/bleaching/colouring my hair when they cornered me.... 80's/90's...

a few shades lighter ends up billy idol white.... ooops.... how about you do jet black next... mmkk...

classic at the beach... blonde hair growing out with black tips....

i'm surprised it still grows normally...

15. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I got a bit of grief over my curly locks in the day... then came the 80's and it sorta' fell out of fashion... and then it just fell out...

16. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

I was part of the dress code wars in my school system. We broke the rules repeatedly until we got it changed. Blue jeans, girls' pants, long hair, facial hair. The high school enforced the rules as written. We didn't fault them for that -- they didn't write them. But we got them rewritten through civil disobedience (stress on "civil"). My mom was friends with the school district superintendent. He told her that he wouldn't say anything in public either way, but he was proud of the way we handled it.

When I was in Air Force officer candidate school, we had the base senior NCO talk to us about officer/NCO leadership roles. This was when we were still getting people moving in, reassigned from Vietnam. The guy was laid back, but was 110% military -- the youngest chief master sergeant the Air Force ever had. After his talk, he asked for questions. Thew first question was fired straight at him, "What would you change about the Air Force?" Without hesitation, almost before the question was finished, he replied "The hair cut rules." They didn't get changed, of course, but it was the times.

I got my hair cut on December 16, 1989, as I was getting processed out of the Army. That was the last time. Nowdays I often quote Gallagher on the subject: "Sure, it need cutting. But you don't prune a dead tree, do you?"

17. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

My hair wasn't cut for 7 years after graduating from high school .
    One weekend at Summit Point racetrack , there was this couple wandering about my pit .
    When I finally got around to asking if I could help them with something , the girl asked if the girl that rode this motorcycle was here .
    They had a radar gun and had gotten her at the highest speed that morning just before turn one and she wanted to talk with her .
    I reached behind me and grabbed my hair , pulled it front and told her that there was no girl riding that bike .
    She looked like she had just been punched in her gut and turned away as I heard her boyfriend tell her that he had told her so .
    I do hope that he allowed her to live that down .

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I used to have long, wavy brown hair.
    It got to be shoulder length a few times in my teens and early twenties.
    I fought the wars with my dad and other authority figures.
    The war with my dad lost momentum when he realized I was no Chuck Manson, and nature
    and heredity made my wavy hair wave goodby.
    Bummer, but life is full of surprises.:eek:
    Everyone judges, and is judged by their appearance.
    I've learned to be like the duck, flat footed and don't give a, uh, hoot.:cool::lol:

19. nattaruk

nattaruk Tele-Meister

Haircut? Not since 1976.
    Longhairs: basis of an ad campaign.

Attached Files:

20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I had a pony tail almost down to my butt up to my early 20's. I decided that being able to afford food was more important after a while and cut it.
    I donated 13" to Locks of Love the last time I had it long and don't regret it. I figure some little girl in treatment needed it more than I did.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.