1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lollar vs Frailin vs Duncan

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by sixpakldp, Dec 12, 2020.

1. sixpakldp

sixpakldp TDPRI Member

I have a G&L ASAT classic that I am considering a swap of the MFD’s.

Considering the manufacturers above. I’ve had lots of Seymour pickups in my guitars. My LP currently has antiquities but just being open this time around.

Looking for vintage output or just a tad more, nothing crazy.

Obviously it’s a subjective topic, but if there are any “go to’s” folks like I’ll hear it.

This be the guitar I am putting them in.

4B9E5F48-85C0-4D52-948A-80AF37E3212D.jpeg

telestratosonic and Fretting out like this.
  2. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

If it were me .....
    I would consider just swapping out the neck pickup first.
    MFD's are pretty hot pickups, so a neck swap may balance better than the other way around.

My current neck pickup is a Lollar (Vintage series). Really sweet sound I have no intention of ever swapping out.

I would hold on to the MFD. If you ever consider selling the G&L, its resale will be greater with original pickups.
    G&L users are rather passionate about MFD pickups. (Then again, so are players with P90's.)

Cali Dude likes this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

If you want a great vintage fender tele tone at a good price you can’t go wrong with fenders Pure vintage 64 set

That is if you like a 60’s tele tone

They are just hot enough to rock but not overly so and still do the twang thing

I like them a lot

MickM likes this.
  4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Cavalier Nashville Lion bridge and a Lion King neck.

jayhaknavy02 and DHart like this.
  5. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have had all three company’s humbuckers in the neck of different Teles at various times - if that helps at all. All are excellent pickups. But for me the Lollar Imperial is my favorite. Clear, warm with bell like tones. Just a wonderful pickup. I’ve also had a set of Fralin Blues Specials in a Strat which were great. Strat quack and clean tones for days. Better than the original Fender set.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    MickM likes this.
  6. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

SD Vintage Broadcaster pickups are pleasing and inexensive. I put them in my first build after replacing a Fralin set which were a bit bright.

I do like the Cavaliers as well....can't go wrong with either them or the SD set.

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

All three great companies, and there are others as well of course. Duncan is my most common go-to - you can often find a used Duncan pickup for half the price or less than a new Fralin or Lollar. I don't think there are many differences with respect to build quality or anything like that.
    My best-ever pickup regardless of type (which doesn't make 100% sense I know) is my Lollar 50s wind P90 in the neck of my main tele. I guess my tendency would be to go with Duncans unless you're looking for something out of the ordinary.

Golem and USian Pie like this.
  8. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

Shhh... The first rule of P90 In The Neck Of A Tele Club is you don’t talk about a P90 in the neck of a tele.

Greggorios likes this.
  9. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Out of the three, I like fralin the most. Closest to vintage, I've found. Duncan's I've never liked except their antiquity series. I don't like any of their humbuckers.

The fralin p 90 set I have is the closest to my vintage Gibson. The 50s lollar set was even worse than the standard Duncan p90 set, IMO. Very strange midrange, sounds like talking to someone on a telephone if that makes any sense. Weird high mids.

The stock fralin are my favorite. Very close to vintage. I don't care for the blues specials. The nice EQ starts to get away with those sets.

10. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

Of the three manufacturers mentioned in the OP, I have only heard the Fralins in person. First, I have to say that, for whatever reasons, pickups sound slightly different to me every time I listen. I have Fralin custom wound P-92s in an old Epi Dot, Steel Pole 42s in a 2007 AS Tele, and Jazz bass pickups in a 2017 MIM Jazz bass. They are all consistently fabulous sounding pickups, and I really like the sounds of those pickups more than any others I play.

11. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

They all sound great and have a selection of telecaster flavors to pick from. I think you'll be happy with whatever you choose.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  12. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

the whole point of a G&L is their unique pickups and cool wiring schemes. When I was much younger and much dumber I swapped out the bridge pickup in my G&L F-100[​IMG]

for a SD JB. Ruined the guitar, just killed it. Don't do it.

Fiesta Red, jays0n and Aftermath like this.
  13. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I'm with Fenderchamp. The MFD pickups are very usable. You can get to where you want to be with the tone controls on your amp, the tone control on the guitar, pickup height changes, and adjusting the pole pieces. The other three brands are great, but I'd figure out the MFD's first.

chris m. likes this.
  14. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I am in the same boat. I am looking at a Duncan Hot Tele; I prefer the traditional chrome cover and the EQ curve of the Hot Tele looks better to me than the Quarter Pound.

jayhaknavy02 likes this.
  15. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I have an MIA strat with Fralin Vintage Hots. They sound perfect to my ears. Still, with what you got, I’d stick with the G&L MFD‘s.

16. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

I put Duncans in most everything but I don't think I would in a G&L. Those pickups sound pretty great as is, usually (I'll get one someday). Maybe just get a different guitar for the other pickups and keep the G&L a G&L.

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I've swapped hundreds of Fender and aftermarket Fender style Tele, Strat and Jazzmaster pickups plus a fair number of G&L.

G&L brand pickups are unique to the brand compared to all the aftermarket names that wind copies of old Fender designs that Fender still makes in many flavors.

The brands are really of no consequence, it's the flavors.
    Or magnet type, gauss charge, wire gauge, turn count, and to some degree how the wire is wound though that seems to be more that it needs to be wound right rather than wrong/ too tight/ breaks in the insulation/ eddy currents.

Any of the brands mentioned as well as FMIC is able to wind perfectly fine reproductions of the old Fender designs.
    I use old and new Fender, but have used several spendy boutique winders products too.
    Only Fender brand in my guitars now, though a couple are old Fender that I had Fralin rewind for me.

The only really good reason to go to a boutique winder is IMO either to get a way off spec custom, or the communicate about the pickup they sold you that you wish was just a little different in a specific way, so that they can then make you our "just right" wind based on knowing what you want changed in one they made.

Buying brand after brand tells you nothing, but you might accidentally get one with just right specs.
    Then many of us assume it was the brand name that had some secret magic.

kmaster likes this.
  18. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Any of those folks make good pickups. Its magnets and wire, so how important is the name to you because after you hit the price point of a duncan you are just handing over cash for the name.

Lucius Paisley likes this.
  19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

If I were in your shoes/boots/slippers/stilettos...

I’d call Pete at Biltoft Vintage Vibe pickups and then Dave at Rio Grande pickups and explain to them what you want to do.

Either or both will definitely steer you in the right direction, and cheaper than the folks you mentioned.

20. fakeplastic

fakeplastic Tele-Meister

Dimarzio Twang King!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.