1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lollar Vintage T pickups... thumbs up/down?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Webfoot, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

Anyone use?

Desert island worthy?

Seems like everyone likes the vintage t neck pickup but mixed reviews on the vintage t bridge pickup. Some think the bridge pickup is too thin and should get the lollar Special bridge while others thought the lollar Special bridge was too thick.

Just need a mainstream can do it all bridge that does not sound 'muscle bound' or you lose that great tele middle position sound.

2. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I've got two teles loaded with vintage Ts.
    I think they're great, they can twang n growl.

3. old crow

old crow TDPRI Member

I have an ash and r.w. 67 with them and it sounds like what you want. Gets real nice mids for jazz on the neck one and good rock in the br. Pos. not too thick and no shrilly stuff.
    These pups work well with lots of different amps too. Old Brit stuff to black faces and boutiques. I lean toward brown Fenders and very early to mid 60, s Brit amps. This git also sounds amazing thru lots of b.f. ,s. Just depends whether I'm playing jazz / blues. Or rock.
    I would say , I mostly use the neck p.u. And when I use the br. I generally roll off some tone. I don't use the middle pos. ( in my git it's both pups ) all that much.

4. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Thumbs UP for the Vintage T bridge pup. There's no way I'd call it thin. Through the right amp, properly set up, it barks, it twangs, what more do you want?

Can't speak for the mid-position sound with the Vintage T neck because I have a Lollar P90 in the neck, but MY mid-position sound is excellent.

5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

No experience with the Lollar pickups, so I'm no help there.

I have Fender OV's in one Tele and Don Mare Supersport bridge/Stelly neck in another. The OV bridge is a little brighter. Both perform the way you describe. Wide open, both will cut and twang like a traditional Tele should. Roll back the tone a little and they fatten up nicely. Bought them all used, $50 for the OV's and $160 for the Don Mare set. At home, I have a small preference for the Mare set, but in a band mix I don't hear a difference in the bridge pickups.

6. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

I've got a Vintage T in the bridge of my '72 Tele and have had it in there for about 4 years. It just works for everything. There's no way I'd describe it as thin. In other Teles I've used the Lollar 52 T, Don Mare Hot Bakelite and the OC Duff Plankster, and while they're all great, the Vintage T is still my 'go to'. I swapped the Vintage T neck pick-up for a Jim Weider's Big T because I was curious and I've never gone back to the Lollar. I didn't dislike the Lollar...I just like the Big T a little more. I can't explain why other than to say it sits in the mix a little differently.

7. Pele

Pele TDPRI Member

I've got a set of Vintage T's with me for my new partscaster. As soon as my Musikraft neck is delivered (already shipped!) I'll try them out and report back!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.