1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Lollar Vintage T or B.S. (Or Other) w/Lollar CC?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Dan C, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Dan C

Dan C Tele-Meister

Hey everyone, haven't been around in a while now but I'm back!

Recently bought a Squier Classic Vibe VB and love it. Bought it to mess with pickups and make it unique. I will be buying a Lollar CC for the neck and have been looking at loads of bridge pickups. I think I have it narrowed down to a Lollar Vintage T or Lollar B.S Tele pickup although I'm open to other options.

My main concern with the Lollar B.S. Bridge pickup is the twang factor... will it just honk; not twang? I cant find any demos of the B.S. Pickup that really detail this. And I dont want the Vintage T to sound wimpy when paired with the CC pickup.

I play roots rock n roll, jump blues, country & rockabilly. The odd bit of rock but I have another Tele to do the rock side of things so that's not an essential for this one.

Which bridge pickup would you choose (or have you chosen) to pair with your Charlie Christian Neck pickup and why? What music do you play with it? Any B.S. Lollar users please chime in I cant find the answer to my question ANYWHERE. Go figure!

Thanks to anybody who can help me.

2. BagbyGuitar

BagbyGuitar TDPRI Member

The lollar vintage t is a nice vintage sounding tele bridge pup, I really liked mine when I had it but it sounded just a hair too thin for me so I swapped it out.

3. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I vote Lollar Vintage T. It's a great pickup.

4. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I have that same guitar with a lollar cc in the neck. Surprisingly I settled on....wait for it...

A Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder. Packs a huge punch, but still a clean pickup. Pairs well with the cc neck. And can still twang, just differently, with a little more mids. But it is still all single coil.

My main concern was everything was gonna be wimpy next to the cc neck. It is a powerful pickup.

Oh and jump blues, swing, Western swing and roots is my pleasure.

For the price of entry, I don't see how you don't try it first. However I never tried the b.s lollar bridge and have wanted to. I'm just satisfied with the QP pickup.

5. screamin eagle

Oh and expect to do a little routing for the cc pickup to fit, but worth it.

And contrary to popular practice I find I like the cc neck best really high up and close to the strings. More vintage sounding. Low made it sound like a really great strat neck pickup--which I didn't like.

6. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Split the difference...go Special T...? Mid rangey and still some twang... I'd call and ask for Jason, ask him, he's available...

7. Dan C

Dan C Tele-Meister

Thats what I'm afraid of... what did you put in its place?

Interesting! I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have checked the route required through Lollars site, and the classic vibes route... pretty darn close! A little adjustment may be necessary but I'll only find out when I get it, I reckon it'll need to be a little wider, and I haven't checked depth yet so that may need routing :) Thanks for the warning.

Interesting point about the pickup height... is the QP really high to compensate? Or does it have enough punch set fairly normal?

I have been asking the Lollar people some questions and asked how the Special T compares with the BS, especially as they are both fatter thicker bridge pickups. We'll see what comes back later today.

Thanks so far, I'm nearly there. Excited to get the guitar all put together with new pickups!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  8. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

This will work IMO
    I have a lollar CC and a lollar special special t bridge, but not in the same guitar.

I kept the stock fender 52 RI bridge pup in my CC modded jazzer tele.
    The special t bridge pup matches nicely with a Gibson neck humbucker in another modded tele , so I'm sure it will be great with the CC.

9. Dan C

Dan C Tele-Meister

Hmmm more thought needed on the Special T it looks like!

10. screamin eagle

The qp could be lower and still hang, but I have mine pretty high up. But that is my preference.

I also put on a wilkenson dual load bridge and run it topper-loader with 12s. The top loader seemed to cut just a bit a tension from the different break angle. I feel it compliments the cc pickup vibe.

The thing about the cc pick is that it is voiced so differently than a typical tele set. So while it is pretty powerful, I feel it's the voice of the pickup that gives some people trouble when looking for a compatible bridge pup.

A weak p90 would pair better with the cc than a medium powered tele bridge. The bridge needs girth to it to pair well with the cc. Which is why I really like the QP. Lots of Mids and girth, but still all single coil. When I first got it installed I thought that it was still a little too bright (and I don't think anyone has ever accused a qp bridge pup of being too bright), but after I messed with the height I found the sweat spot.

11. Dan C

Dan C Tele-Meister

Cool, yeah I'm coming to the same conclusion with the P90 comparison for a bridge pickup. Thanks for the information :)

12. screamin eagle

You said you're into jump blues and roots...give the 250k pots a chance before you decide you need to go to 500k.

A lot of folks put 500ks in for the CC, cause it is significantly darker than a traditional tele neck, but assess it on its merits and its recorded sound rather than referencing it against the neck pickup that comes out of the guitar.

I stuck with 250ks in mine.

13. BagbyGuitar

BagbyGuitar TDPRI Member

I replaced it with a SD Vintage Stack like Brent Mason uses, it's a lot fatter and noiseless to boot! Also after shipping and everything the SD Vintage Stack was almost $50 cheaper!

14. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

I've been using a Vintage T in the bridge position on my '72 Tele for nearly 4 years and I've got no desire to change it. It's perfect for me. I wouldn't describe it as thin, but the Special T will probably be a little thicker and hit the amp a little harder, though it might trade some twang for that punch.

15. Dan C

Dan C Tele-Meister

Nice! I'll check those out too, if its good enough for brent mason... :D

I don't think it'd be thin, but in context of the CC, just out matched for bass response making it seem thin.

16. Dan C

Dan C Tele-Meister

Well I've had a listen to the SD QPs with the demo below... ...and I think they sound a little too 'hifi' i.e. VERY crisp? Or is that just me and the uber clean tone? I hate using words to describe tones!

Not found a decent demo of the Vintage Stack in the Bridge Postition so if anyone could point me to one of them that'd be great.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  17. screamin eagle

QP in the bridge of Tommy's guitar. That other video is a little hifi. I think it is the player and the amp

18. Sneddo

Sneddo Tele-Meister

I have a lollar special T in my esquire. I love it.

If I am to be honest, I struggle to get a good sound out of it with a clean amp. It always sounds a bit too middy (as apposed to muddy).

With ad driven amp or OD it is awesome. Mega balls for a single coil.

19. Dan C

Dan C Tele-Meister

Thanks for those extra videos.

Sneddo, thats what I thought might be the case with the Special T... the hotter you go the more midrange gets included in the sound. Which is great for OD but not ideal in most circumstances for clean tones.

20. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

Here's what I've tried. Ash tele, slab neck, all with CC almost flush with the guard:
    1) custom shop nocaster
    2) Lollar Special T
    3) AVRI 52
    4) bridge from a Squier BSB Classic vibe (please don't snicker...it's really a pretty nice pickup)

I also tried all the above combos with both 250k and 500k pots...gotta love a tele. They all sounded good and matched relatively well. More a question of flavor than utility. I ended up keeping the nocaster in it with 250k pots. There's a pretty big bright/dark jump between the two, but the middle position is glorious. The CC is perfect for jazzy stuff and jump blues with the 250k, but doesn't work as well with any more than a little hair on the amp. It's better with 500k and distortion, but like you I have other guitars for that, and I think I lose something when played cleanish. As expected the Nocaster will twang and drive, does Luther to Led Zep. The middle position is fat and balanced, smooth when stroked and downright mean when you dig in. The back two positions will handle all the drive you can throw at them.

I love me a Special T, but I just didn't like it as much paired with the CC in the mid position. OK, just kinda blah.

The AVRI didn't match well volume wise.

The Squier was a big surprise...pretty much like the Nocaster, maybe not quite as good.

Hope this helps

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.