Lollar Regals - should I take the plunge?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by peterbilt1101, Jan 4, 2013.

1. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

:p

+1!

I have an MIM "pig" with a real wide range in it and I don't feel the least bit bad about it. An electric guitar is more about pickups and neck feel than anything else...and hey, it still says Fender on it ;)

BTW, peterbilt, did you get the install of those Regals sorted? How are you digging them?

2. Staggered Mag

Staggered Mag Tele-Meister

Nice!! :cool:

3. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Peterbilt, did you get those regals installed okay? How do you like them?

4. puddin

puddin Tele-Holic

Lollar Regals

Hello folks, I too have a 72 telecaster custom and after long consideration.. I went with a Lollar Regal in the neck. In the bridge I went with a Don Mare 0038. went with a 11.5 wind on the 0038 to give a better balance in the middle position. This is the best sounding guitar I've even owned.. at least to my ears. Good luck.

5. blimpo

blimpo Tele-Meister

I have a 72 MIM re-issue and I'm torn on having either the Creamery or Telenator do the first mod or getting a new pickguard that will accomodate regular sized humbuckers and then do some shopping.
    Advantages-- first option allows the guitar to keep its looks and has improved sound
    --second option will allow for the choice of a wider selection of choices.
    What'cha think?

6. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Our MOD1 really is an awesome soundiung pickup. Tighter lows than a standard humbucker with better aticulation and hints of that WRHB greatness.

The question is, do you want that sound?

If I'm going out to play a rock gig, I use the MOD1s every time. If I'm in the mood for something thicker, blusier and smooth, it's the CuNiFe's all the way!

Fender actually winds a very good bobbin in the re-issue WRHBs. They simply chose the wrong magnets for it.

7. blimpo

blimpo Tele-Meister

What kind of turnaround time are we looking at if I send them to you?

8. ferosferio

ferosferio TDPRI Member

I just ordered a set from The Creamery for my 72 reissue... When they arrive ill do a report... Rob

9. Telenator

We'll turn them around in 2 to 3 days.

10. blimpo

blimpo Tele-Meister

Great. We're off for a few weeks so this is good.

I'll go to your website and do the deal....thanks.

Mod1 sounds great.

11. BigDaveyTwinkle

BigDaveyTwinkle Tele-Meister

We're half a dozen posts in without once mentioning Lollar Regals, so I just thought I'd say I have a dog. His name is Jack, Hi Jack!

12. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

Well sorry for the delay. I have a 7 week old baby in the house so finding time is a chore. I've completed the swap and finally got a chance to crank it up. Much to my wife's chagrin. Anyhow I like these a lot. I'm not prepared to say they're the best humbuckers I've ever heard in my life, but I'm definitely keeping them for sure. Massive improvement from the stock Fender pickups. The mud is completely gone. The lollars are very articulate and balanced to my ears. Still playing around with pickup heights and dialing in pedals and want not. I hope to provide a more detailed review soon but they're definitely sticking around.

13. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Cool! And congrats on the baby!

14. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

You have a 7 week old and you found time to install the Regals? I know you'll be keeping the pickups, that's a given with Lollars. I'm thinking you better keep the WIFE. With my kids I didn't even sleep for 6 months. Life is good eh?

15. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

If all goes well, me and the wife will be welcoming number 3 around early September...I can't wait for the sleep deprivation ;)

16. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

I just got a memo from the Fender home office. They said it's never too early to start buying telecasters for the kids.

17. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

Congrats hongaku. Yeah I don't remember what it's like to sleep for 6 hours at a time any more. Anyhow, I just had another bonding session with the Regals and these things are REALLY growing on me. I've tried them through all 3 of my amps (Pro Jr, AC15, and a Vibroverb) and all my pedals and they're fantastic. I think the biggest advantage over the Fenders is note separation. They are clear and responsive. And like any other Lollar, these are very versatile. Great clean tone for that Freddie King type bluesy stuff (at least that's what I use it for), but stomp on a great OD and all of rock is at your fingertips. All in all, I'm very pleased and I highly recommend them! Cheers!

18. Travis_Dean

Travis_Dean NEW MEMBER!

Screws too long

Peterbuilt, I just bought a set of Regals for my 2011 Thinline. The screws & springs mine came with are longer then the stock ones. The Fender mounting screw is 20MM long and Regals mounting screws are 25MM. The body cavity us about 20MM and the pickguard is less than 2 MM leaving the regal screws too long to use. I think the threads might be different so I haven't tried using the fender screws. Did you have this problem? If so how did you handle it?

19. Telenator

You can cut the screws with a Dremel tool, or cutting pliers and then file the end smooth. No biggy. You'll be glad you did once get those installed. Big improvement.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.