Lollar Regals - should I take the plunge?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by peterbilt1101, Jan 4, 2013.

1. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

I have a 72 thinline tele in a special run honey blonde color that I really like. This guitar is about 80% perfect minus the tiny vintage frets and the ho hum pickups.

1) kinda off topic, but how much would a refret cost me? Would I be better off just getting a new warmoth neck instead?

2) anyone care to sell me on the Regals? I'm just looking for a solid classic rock sound. I don't need anything really different or really particular. I just want to do the usual suspects (zep, queen, skynyrd, etc) really damn well and I want to play my Fender when I do it. Has anyone that made the switch regretted the $400?

2. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

Check out Curtis Novak. He makes a reproduction of the wrhb pickup and he winds great stuff! Haven't tried the wrhbs but I would bet money they're great

3. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I have not hear the regals, but if it's a Lollar, it's good! In addition to Novak, check out The Creamery and Rio Grande as they also make a drop in replacement.

If I had the coin, my first choice would be a set from TDPRI member telenator. I believe he is the only one who does them with the original cunife magnets. That was a big, big part of what made the original (Seth Lover designed) Wide Range pups so special. http://www.telenator.com/cunife-wide-range-humbucker/

4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Please trust me on this....don't do it. If you like the guitar i guarantee you that in time if not right away, you will regret it. The neck is a huge part of a fender's voice, more than the body or anything else. If you love it now aside from the pups, you will only make it worse. I have a 72 TL too, and it's a great guitar due to the combination of the ash body with strat style hardtail and maple neck. And that neck has a different design than any other fenders except 70's models. The bullet rod especially contributes to what you love about it. My suggestion if you just can't live with the frets is just get it refretted, And while they are at it they can re-radius the board to whatever you want. I'd love mine to have a 9.5" radius and medium jumbos, but it's not that big a deal and i love the guitar so much otherwise i really don't want to mess with something special. It often turns out to be a bad idea. Sometimes it's better to live with almost perfect than shoot for perfect and miss. I've been thru this far too many times and i know how it goes. I hope u take this advice, but it's your call. As to pickups, wish i could help. I put alnico polepieces in mine to replace the screws and bar magnets and it's a vast improvement. But the bridge still isn't as good as i'd like. I too would love to try lollars or even creamerys or novaks. Also consider some of them mod your existing pickup instead of selling you a whle new one. Thats a consideration because if you aren't happy with it you can't just sell it and recoup some of your $. On the other hand, if it's a lot cheaper than a whole new pickup like telenator's cheapest mod, you may only lose about the same amount if you don't like it. But that IS something to consider.

5. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the advice. I've investigated the other pickup makers out there and narrowed it down to Lollar or nothing for me. Basically based on their quality and reputation. There's no way I'm spending $450 per pickup on the cunife model. I know it's period correct and all but dropping that in a MIM Fender is like putting lipstick on a pig. Anyone have direct experience with the Regals they care to share?

BTW, thx for the advice on the neck. That's where I was leaning anyway. If you're dying for a 9.5 board with medium jumbos, Fender made a thinline player deluxe tele with that spec. You may be lucky and find the neck on eBay from one of those dudes that part out guitars.

6. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

For $85 a piece, we can mod your existing pickups to sound awesome. And they'll sound best with the 250K pots you already have in the guitar. They will not sound like vintage WRHBs, but they will have a killer rock tone and clarity.

MOD1
    http://www.telenator.com/the-plain-magnet-alnico-2-mod/

7. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

That sounds cool, but if your set on Lollars you should also consider the El Rayo. I think it's a great bucker for a tele (neck pup). Excellent split coil tone; very articulate; brighter than most buckers, almost like a P90, but reacts well when you roll down the guitar's tone for a darker, more traditional bucker tone. You would, however, need a 500k resistor for the bucker, so Telenator's idea might be the way to go.

8. BigDaveyTwinkle

BigDaveyTwinkle Tele-Meister

I have a Lollar Regal in the neck of my 72RI Custom, so only half the cost of doing over the Deluxe! I'm Scottish by ancestry and hate to part with a penny but the Lollar was worth every cent over the stock pickup. Besides the reputation for excellent fit and finish, the Regal was just so much, "more" than the factory. How would I describe them? Articulate, complex, more touch sensitive, and dynamic are some of the words I'd throw out. If money is an issue, I'd say pick your favorite position, neck or bridge as Lollar does specify for each, buy that position and start saving for the next Regal as you will want it.

9. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Wow! That's great to know telenator! I don't have a tele with the RI Wide Range pups at the moment, but if I do wind up with one down the road, I'll give you a shout.

10. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

About the El Rayo, first off its a different sized pickup than the Regal so it wouldn't be a drop in. Plus I've already got 500k pots in the guitar. I swapped out the 250's to make it more tolerable and it worked for the most part. I know swapping out pots isn't that big of a deal. Was just looking for some testimonials of folks who had bought the Regals. I guess they're busy playing them :)

11. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

I've got sets of the Regals, Telenator's MOD2's, and the regular RI's. The Regals and MOD2's are very, very similar in sound, and I would say neither is "better" than the other. Both are vast improvements over the RI's. In comparing the two, I can only discern a very slight difference in the high end - the Regals being "tighter" and the MOD2's a little "looser". Mind you, I can only hear this difference if I'm listening very closely and switching back and forth between side by side recordings. Preference for one or the other is going to be almost entirely subjective.

12. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I put Lollar's Regals in my 72 Deluxe RI, I couldn't be happier. They sound fine with the stock 250K pots. They give the guitar a lot more clarity and bite, both clean and dirty, and are more three dimensional sounding with more and more pleasing harmonics along with the fundamental tone. They really have a different voice than other pickups, at least as mounted in this guitar. Different from a PAF-type humbucker, a Filtertron, or any other humbucking type pickup I've tried. If you're looking for a tele that sounds like an SG, this isn't it.

I may play around with the caps and pots to see if I'd like some better, and I'll probably go to 50s wiring, but this guitar is a keeper with the Lollars. It wasn't, for me, with the stock pickups. The Lollars dropped right in with no issues.

13. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

First off, I think you will be very happy if you were to go with the Regals and would not regret the decision one bit.

Secondly, I say don't worry yourself over a re-fret or re-radius. Just get it set up right for you as far as action goes and what not and play it - I would bet that you would become quite accustomed to the tighter radius and narrower (but taller than medium jumbo) frets. I was initially not cool with the 7.25" radius and vintage frets as well, but now I own 3 Telecasters that share these qualities and have become very comfortable with them, and even in some ways prefer the vintage specs; I have no issues when switching to another Tele with the modern 9.5" radius and medium jumbo frets, or even a Les Paul with 12" radius and mj frets. YMMV.

Now, lastly, and this is just my opinion, but I think it is a little silly to limit yourself to only going with the Regals (you said it's "Lollar or nothing for me"). Not because you are incorrect about the quality of work and reputation Lollar pickups enjoy (every bit is deserved); but because the other options for this type of pickup (Novak, Telenator, Creamery, etc.; hell, even Seymour Duncan will do a set through their custom shop), are also of high quality and the reputations are also excellent. I'm not saying you shouldn't go with the Regals by any stretch, but to dismiss the other options and cite quality and reputation as your primary basis for doing so makes no sense to me. That being said, I have never heard anything bad said about the Regals and strongly considered them myself before going with the Creamery at the time (which I do not regret one bit either). I may yet give the Regals a try one day, but I know that Jason Lollar isn't the only builder with a good rep and a quality product (though he does indeed have a well deserved rep and produces quality products). Let us know what you end up with and good luck!

14. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

I understand there are lots of great options. What i was trying to say without a huge post was that I've looked at them and decided on Lollar mainly due to their reputation and my positive experiences with them in the past. I've got the cash to do it and most likely will. Only problem is I found a PRS Starla on CL. Decisions decisions

15. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Also consider each maker's guarantee. Novak for example will refund your money if not happy, tho i think you pay shipping. But consider this in your decision. The others may do the same, i dunno, but i mentioned novak because i did read that recently. I'm seriously looking at his right now myself for the bridge position.

16. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

I finally decided life was too short to deliberate any more. Bought the lollars last night. Can't wait! I'm sure the novak's and telenators and all the others are fantastic too. I'll provide a report when I've completed the swap.

17. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

I loved the "lipstick on a pig" line. Loved it!

18. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

Alright folks. The Regals have landed :). I have them in hand and am working on getting them installed. In my opinion, the supplied springs are WAAAAY too long. Either that or the screws are too short. It's borderline ridiculous getting these things installed. With the screw being short and the spring being long, you have to compress that spring a good 3/8" to 1/2" with nothing to guide it. So the spring just kinks up on you. There aren't enough hands to hold the screw, compress the spring, guide the spring, and start threading the screw. I've been fooling with it for 30 minutes and so far I have one screw/spring combo installed. Sheesh. Anyone have a tip on finding a better way? I've just been trying to use needle nose to hold the spring and pressing down with the heel of my hand while I try aimlessly to turn the screw. And now I have carpel tunnel :)

19. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Cut the spring in half!

20. Staggered Mag

Staggered Mag Tele-Meister

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.