LOL, how do *you* like to remove / install a tweed chassis?

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Works wonder on a blackface etc. Unfortunately the tweed chassis are way more narrow than the cab with inches on either side.

K ing Fan, what tweed are you working? Pt support? Did you build a Bassman without me noticing?
Sorry, @D'tar, I lost track of this thread. Heh, my 5G9 has a boat anchor PT; a Bassman build is still out in the dream world somewhere. But I did follow your idea here when I did a more minor revision; drop the back panel, chuck a piece of foam on the workbench, lay the amp on its face, and walk around it to access the bits that are easy to access.

Last edited:

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Let's see: you could build a 4-sided frame that fits into the amp, height just shy of the projections you can't remove easily (like tubes), width just shy of the battens for fastening the back panels, and depth to suit, but at least that of the chassis itself (2-5/8" or thereabouts). Put holes in the top member of the frame, so that the chassis can be slid in over the top of it, and then clamped to the frame somewhere with the projections in the holes. If you wanted to stabilize the frame and fix it in place for use, you could fasten it with a couple screws to the cab sides (not too deep) that would have holes just ahead of the speaker side of the battens, and therefore not visible unless one's head is inside the cab.

The frame could/should have an outrigger to support the PT, since that's a basic part of what makes installation hard -- the fact that it's an assembly with a poor center of gravity, being somewhere outside the chassis itself. You'd need to have mounting screws long enough to allow the washers and nuts to be installed with the chassis resting on the frame. Once the nuts are threaded on, then unclamp chassis from frame and raise the chassis off the frame using the mounting bolts. Then unscrew the frame from cab sides and pull it out.
You're an inventor, sir. I like it; my someday "Bassman build thread" will be followed by my "Bassman boatlift chassis removal service frame" build... :)

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I use two pairs of hands. One pair is attached to another person. That person doesn't need much of a brain, but it helps to prevent damage.