Logged out of Facebook >6months. FB working overtime to get me back. How about you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Feb 22, 2021.

1. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I was able to delete ten years ago. That you can’t delete your account with them is disturbing.

2. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger Tele-Meister

I still check in from time to time but it still pretty grim and I regret it immediately...

Even with having muted all the blowhard/victim-puking/political/covid-mask shaming people there is still so much I don't want to invite into my life... Best to stay away.

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve never used Facebook I signed up over ten years ago and that is all the farther I got, thank goodness

recently (end of last year ) I’d get a text from Facebook almost daily for a month or two, then they stopped, came out of nowhere

Have no idea what that was about

4. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I logged off, closed my account, deleted the app from my phone, and never looked back - that was in 2015. I don't miss it, and the people that I want to communicate with all know how to reach me. I don't miss it, and have no plans to go back.

northernguitar likes this.
  5. DDickens

DDickens Tele-Meister

I’m not sure about this. You have to go through back channels, but there is an option to delete or deactivate. If you choose “delete,” you get a warning that you’ll lose all photos and all that. I chose “delete,” and it said I had 30 days to change my mind. I know all the data is still in their servers, but I’m pretty sure your account gets deleted. does anyone have a different (and actual) understanding of what technically happens when you delete?

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When I deleted my account, I went back over a period of time, and slowly deleted anything that could be considered even mildly offensive or annoying, mostly just back and forth with family is all I had left. Then I deleted the account. It would seem as if they were as tired of me, and I was of them, because I've never heard a peep out of them. Facebook, is something pretty different today than it used to be, or perhaps always was but is just now open about it. I miss the Facebook market place, it was a pretty decent source for buying and selling stuff.

7. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

You near Bowmanville? I went to Strawberry Fields at Mosport. Went to Mosport often actually. Changed it's name. CMP

8. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Afflicted

I haven't been a big user and have decided to nuke it.

I've been getting a lot more ads for Facebook recently.

They email me 3-7 times a day.

I saved pictures, I have numbers and email addresses of people I want to stay in touch with.

It's about to go! Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Screenshot_20210223-001248_Samsung Internet.jpg

I want to find how to make sure all the sites with Facebook buttons aren't still sending them info.

Anyone know about blocking all the tracking?

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have never been on Facebook , never seen it and dont see a purpose in it, TDPRI is the only social media that i log onto I dont need anything else , apearently

greenhornet likes this.
  10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I permanently deleted my Faecebook account back in 2013. They finally stopped a while back.
    From what you're saying though it sounds like they've gotten a lot more creepy about it. I don't miss it at all.

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Never logged in to Facebook, doubt they know I exist, happy with that.

12. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Holic

I don’t use any social media and I like it that way. I was on FB briefly several years ago. It didn’t take long for me to see that I am happy to know less about “friends”...... not more. And likewise, I am happy for them to know less about me.

I think a measure of civility has been lost through “social” media..... I miss it.

13. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I never joined.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Nope...that's east. ;) I'm in the Alliston area.

dented likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

The sad thing about Facebook, is sometimes you learn things about friends that you wish you didn't know, but can't undo the knowledge of. Someone I thought I knew one day, had an invective hurling meltdown, and I mean didn't leave any stone unturned! They blasted ideals, people, friends, neighbors, and the world in general. Though it was not directed at me, I felt like I had been somehow sullied just from having read the post. I thought about it for a while, then just quietly unfriended the person. To this day, I am still shocked to learn what was actually inside that person, it was so different than what I had formerly thought about their personae.

Facebook like the Bad Dog is addictive though. I used to have my morning routine of checking in on the Bad Dog, checking the for sale media, and then see what was going on at the Facebook corral. Now I've messed up my routine, I don't do Facebook anymore, and it's like I've left something out! I miss seeing family posts, but not enough to return to FB.

dented and Flat6Driver like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

I should have known better. Before I retired, some of the folks where I worked were raving about Facebook back in the mid 2000s, I think it was just getting started. In short order they went from raving about how much fun Facebook was to ranting and raving about what so and so the dirty rotten bastardos were saying on Facebook. Sometimes the dirty rotten bastardos were their own kinfolks. I must have forgotten all of that, because I signed up about five years ago, or so. Same routine, everything was coming up daisies for a while, then here came those dirty rotten bastardos! :D Since I myself was reluctant to join the bastardos club, I thought it best to just fade away like a good old soldier. :lol:

String Tree likes this.
  17. groovezilla79

groovezilla79 Tele-Meister

Deleted my account in 2012. Never missed it. Social media is about the most un-social thing you can do. IMO, it has caused way more harm than good in our country.... possibly even the world.

Mouth, northernguitar and Ian T like this.
  18. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Deleted my account in 2012, didn't like the addictive nature, the continually deepening privacy intrusion, the whiney posts and commiserating; I would get pissed off reading them on a daily basis. Then they started messing with the algorithm, controlling what I would see, not showing others' posts. Then there were those old acquaintances or distant family members that would friend you and then have no interaction, apparently for no other reason than to be a nosey neighbor. The overall fake "sales" type representation people make of their lives. My handful of close friends I interact with via phone and text and it's more personal that way.

Haven't missed it! Particularly in the last several years of political discourse. What a huge waste of time and frustration FB would continue to be in my life.

Only thing I've missed perhaps is to get tagged in videos at gigs or perhaps to help network with other musicians and let people know where I'm playing. Maybe stay visible. Bottom line, it is a business tool worth using but for personal stuff, not for me.

Overall, definitely a huge net gain getting off FB.

Toto'sDad and northernguitar like this.
  19. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I have seen a lot of the same behavior on this an many other forums....meltdown, oversharing, look at me, etc, etc. With forums, I think there's an anonymity and I don't care if userXYZ has this view or whatever. But when someone I know has an opinion or behavior I don't like, like @Toto'sDad I do take it a bit personally.

I'm baffled that folks consider a "forum" as different than social media. It's not, IMHO.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

LOL we must be bruthas from another mutha! You posted yours when I was posting, uncanny.

northernguitar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.