1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Logged out of Facebook >6months. FB working overtime to get me back. How about you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Meister

Funny. My kid taught me about Finsta accounts years ago. (Fake Insta). That’s the only way to go these days.

2. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

Deleted my account, blocked all fb sites and advertising domains with my Pi-Hole clone. Perfect. Couldn’t even log back in if I tried.

Norris Vulcan and northernguitar like this.
  3. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

My wife still has one to keep in touch with friends and family. But I don't do it because you see only what they want you to see. I know its privately owned like this place and there is no such thing as free speech on private property so I just choose to not participate.

4. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The ONLY reason I still have a FB account is because I run our band page and it's an effective marketing platform in that sense. I have my friends list pretty trimmed down as my rule is that if I passed you on the street in real life and wouldn't stop and say hi or have a chat then I don't actually know you and you don't need access to my entire personal life online. I've also had my privacy settings locked down heavily for over a decade. Nothing public. Nothing viewable to anyone not already on my friends list. You can't even friend request me unless you're already friends with one of my friends. I stay out of groups and that nonsense.

It would be difficult to delete entirely as the Messenger app has been widely adopted as the primary messaging tool.

One thing I did delete a few years ago is Twitter.

5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I deleted my account a couple years ago. They don’t make it easy to delete. And you have to careful or your account automatically reactivates itself. Like if you mistakenly click on some link that brings you to some Facebook page. It’s very sneaky. And some businesses, etc, do not have websites, they only have Facebook pages. But overall I am happy to not be on it.

northernguitar likes this.
  6. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Never had a FB account. Tempted a few times, but every six or twelve months there's a new reason not to sign up. (like when they change privacy settings). Email and text work well for friends and my family. If anything really important comes up I hear about it(!).

This thread helps, too. Glad to hear more people are enjoying and engaging with real the world offline.

greenhornet likes this.
  7. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Acct. deleted lst yr.
    We just didn't see in concert with one an otter.

Mark's called me sev times...

And I don't even have a phone!!

8. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

You can deactivate but not delete because they want that chance you will come back. I deactivated my account a couple of years ago. They sent emails to the address I used to open the FB account. Those emails were showing me "what I've been missing" and "Come on Back!" But I opened a new email and signed up with a fake name because there were some things I missed and I use FB Marketplace to sell stuff like CL. My new page is all things music and I am signed with lots of musicians and builders and I enjoy it. I only have 3 friends, my best friend and 2 professional musicians. I enjoy it because I get to use the media without all the junk. But they definitely try to get you back.

9. Cpt.Blues

Cpt.Blues TDPRI Member

The exact thing happened to me. I stopped using Facebook about 4 months ago and Facebook tried doing anything it could to lure me back. My phone was constantly pinging with alerts anytime someone posted something. As has been mentioned, I had watched the documentary on NetFlix called The Social Dilemma prior to deleting the app off my phone. It's scary how they are able to follow you and constantly try to keep you engaged on their site.

I did keep Facebook on my laptop. Once in a blue moon I will go into it but only for about 5 minutes. Getting it out of my phone was definitely worth it.

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Had an account, made one contribution to check. I was bombarded with notifications, alerts, bulletins, who's online, why am I not online, would I like to do this, or that, So-in-so posted this, etc. That was before 24 {bleeping} hours had elapsed. Haven't been back since. That was over a decade ago. I know some folks find some bit of usefulness, but the noise level, tax and distraction far overwhelms any usefulness I can possibly see.

11. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

No, they aren't hurting. Not at all. Not even a little bit. 2.8 BILLION active users. Computer generated emails based on an algorithm don't cost them a dime, so there is no downside to it.

12. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

I've sold many items through facebook, and maintain contact with a number of friends and a few family. There are also interesting groups to join.
    Because it's easy to block someone's messages from my feed, I have never had an angry confrontation on facebook.

13. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Is that really true that it doesn’t cost a dime? I understand that sending an email from a gmail account or whatever seems “free” to most of us, but for a business to send out billions of emails...that has to cost something, doesn’t it? I could even imagine there’s a whole division of Facebook employees (or contractors, outsourced, etc.) paid to handle emails, algorithms, etc. Not trying to be argumentative, just wondering and thinking out loud.

14. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I never opened a facebook. It might sound cold but I don't need or want more friends and I have stayed in touch with the ones I care about. I don't see the friends I already have enough, why do I need more? My wife closed her facebook a few years ago. It seemed like a lot of drama to me, she doesn't miss it.

15. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Yes, someone has to design the algorithm, they have to maintain the servers that send the emails, so it's not completely free. The point is more that it's not like it costs 50 cents (or whatever a letter costs) for postage, then paper, envelop, someone to type/print it, etc, etc., etc.

16. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

I left Facebook after the 2016 election. I couldn’t stand to watch friends become enemies.
    I ended up here instead.

17. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I do think the ease of following and liking stuff gives people a false sense of their reach. Look at any band that advertises a show and 50 people reply they are going and 5 actually do.

A local guy started a Meet Up for local musicians. It found me as I have been in related meet up groups. I signed up and maybe 15 other people immediately. Host posted an event, a zoom call, and as of right now it's gonna be him and me on that call. We'll see how it all goes.

I look forward to certain things I get in the mail (or certain email newsletters). Someone spent time to get my interest not just blasted the latest thought to everyone. I'm trying to move past FOMO.

Twitter is my addiction for certain. I follow news and news celebrities not anyone I actually know. I have bounced a fair share of people that would just post about everything stupid and people that would piss me off because while we had different opinions I could tell they were closed minded to new input.

18. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I don't use it like most people do. Only for marketplace. Absolutely never for anything else. No 'friends' or contacts at all. No facebook app. Only an opensource replacement that is disabled 99% of the time.

19. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Same thing happened to me with Faceburg. I shut off all notifications. I’ve deleted anything that could possibly be used against me although I know they still have it.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I've never actually used FB messenger, but I'm pretty sure if you're using it you're not logged out of your FB acct?

Trolling!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.