Logged out of Facebook >6months. FB working overtime to get me back. How about you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Maicobmw

Maicobmw Tele-Meister

I was on FB briefly around a decade ago, didn't take long to figure out it wasn't my thing and no desire to ever go back.

SRHmusic likes this.
  2. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Hated FB from the start. No control over who reaches out to me? No thanks, I have some folks from the past that I'd like to leave there.

My account lasted five months before I deleted it permanently. That itself became the reason to quit. FB offered no link within the site to quit/delete. To do so, I had to use a link from a google search. Sneaky demons.

SRHmusic likes this.
  3. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

I never really got into FB. It just never clicked for me. I have an account and have posted/shared occasionally, but made the easy decision to stop using it altogether a few years. It was an easy decision because I really wasn’t using or getting anything out of it. There was no habit to break. But my motivation was all the horrible things FB was being used for and their, IMO, completely negligence in dealing with it. There’s no doubt in my mind that FB (and probably other platforms, which I do use) have done more harm than good for our society.

I much prefer topic-specific forums like this one, or cycling forums, or skiing forums, or whatever I’m focused on at any given time. And I prefer to directly stay in touch with my close friends via text, email and direct conversations.

But I have one close friend who loves FB and uses it a lot. So...to each their own.

4. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch Tele-Meister

I realized that it was just a personalized spam service where the price for seeing my old ex whine about her love life was arguing with the worst people I went to high school with that the Daily Stormer meme they reposted did not, in fact, “MAKES YOU THINK!1”

And that’s the kindest interpretation of what it does that I can think of.

5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Logged out last summer, and deleted my account a few months later.

Never going back.

I have some friends who only seem to want to communicate via FB Messenger, and not via phone call or email.

I will lose them, I reckon.

o_O

That Cal Webway and Fendereedo like this.
  6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Got rid of my account ages ago. The place is a time vacuum to be honest, and not in a good way. If I'm not in touch with people from the past now, then I never will be.

7. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

We have the neighborhood magpie page on Facebook that can be somewhat helpful and informative, but still it's mostly discussions about "has anyone else seen that suspicious van parked on Evergreen Terrace, I've never seen it before"...that turn out to be people just doing work in the neighborhood.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  8. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  9. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I also have Twitter and all the rest of it. Some of it I just have to have. For example, my involvement with high school sports coaching and officiating...the quickest and most reliable method of communicating often turns out to be these Facebook groups that someone else (a team parent typically) has created.

10. kmaster

kmaster Tele-Meister

happily sans-Facebook. I highly recommend it!

greenhornet and graybeard65 like this.
  11. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

I still have one, but only use it for checking Facebook marketplace.

And yes, they are stepping up their campaign of trying to connect me with people I don't even know.

12. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

I dig the closed groups thing on FB.I'm in several for motorcycles. It's a bit like here,there's a great pool of knowledge on specific subjects.

Messenger is great for keeping in touch with far flung family.

I have little use for browsing the stuff on my newsline,so I don't do that very often

Facebook is a tool,if you tailor it to suit your needs,it's very useful,if there is nothing you need,then walk away. It's like any forum or platform,no one gives a flying spanner whether you stop posting or not. Do it if you want,or don't if you don't.

13. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i control facebook...facebook doesnt control me

yegbert likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I came to the same conclusion around the turn of the year. I enjoyed being able to see friends and relatives on the FB, but the Kamikaze pilots that kept falling out of the air trying to blow up stuff they didn't like were too much for me. My last words were as I hit the delete button, "Adios Amigos!"

15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I left Facebook 4 years ago. I haven't missed it. After a few months I requested that they delete my account which they did.
    You couldn't pay me to go back. When the pandemic hit, I thought it might be a good way to stay connected. After I thought about it, I realized that I could FaceTime or Zoom with people with whom I really wanted to stay connected.
    It's a damn shame that there is not an alternative that values privacy. Although that may be the least of the pitfalls with FB.

16. DDickens

DDickens Tele-Meister

Deactivated for four years. Tried to get in to delete my account and they wanted a government ID to confirm it was me. Nope. Without explanation, it let me on after a few months. I got sucked in for a couple of months and then realized, not only was I tired of consuming spoonfuls of stupid, but that people I agreed with in one aspect seemed seethingly judgmental about other things dear to me. I felt like there was stress at every turn. I deleted my account and adjusted my email to delete all things from the social media service.

dented likes this.
  17. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Avoiding the dumbest of ideologies has been a blessing.

18. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I don't know anything about you all and the rest of your life. Since I'm 8 months into not having it, I don't know about family events (which aren't happening) or really what's going on socially. It became very toxic and I would zap people that we're just filling up the net with whatever....politic, sad doggy photos (she worked for a rescue), recipes, pictures of nurses with marks on their faces as heros, etc, ad finitum.

I had one person reach out from my community of musician folks. And that was in July or so. My family and such, I guess got word through text and all when I couldn't attend some of the many funerals (none actually virus related) we had this year.

I have not zoom called any family or friends. After a day of screen time, I'm not interested. And I realize now that they only real interaction we had was comments on each others posts.

Which makes me realize further how useless it all is. And sad, really.

I might set up a new account with a different email to follow the things that have no forum equivalent, but not sure. I don't need to speak to the world community of cyclists on Zwift. I just ride with them.

I'm sometimes at a crossroads of internet usage (incl here) in general. Hmmmph

19. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I had someone hack into my account by phishing and I fell for it. A friend sent me a video of me performing but I had to submit my password because the video wouldn’t show. Doh! I immediately knew I was hacked because I saw a new phone number listed so I went through all the security hoops and within 15 minutes secured my account. While in the process it was recommended that I use 3 trusted friends to verify me in case this happened again or I get locked out of my account, so I did. Long story short I used my son as one. He is deployed overseas and I am locked out of the account and can not get back on! Been months now and I do not miss it but I was using the account to promote the band which is no longer gigging. So I cannot even close the darn thing!

Prior to that I had an account in the mid 2000s and closed it because to me it was like a middle school popularity contest. I only reopened in 2019 to promote the group. Couldn’t have picked a worst time. The market place is a nice amenity though. And for businesses you need it which is why I opened the band page.

20. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

Not sure, but I at least stepped away 3+ years ago and haven't heard word one from them since.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.